Surname: Grano in New York City

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Surname: Grano in New York City

Post by dalbino83 »

I posted something just before this about the Albino family in Waterbury CT, and in Boston, MA. Now I'm trying to figure out how the Granos link into my family. This all came from Ellis Island records.

Nicola Albino is my great grandfather. At the age of 18 and single, he immigrated from Campobasso arriving in NYC on the Hudson. Port of departure was Havre, on June 15, 1905, and he was traveling with his father Vincenzo Albino, age 47, who had been to NYC previously in 1887. Original log entry stated no address for destination, which has been crossed out and replaced with two different addresses. Nick's is 18 Maiden Lane, Vincenzo's 62 Mulberry St. The people right ahead of Nick and Vincenzo in the log also had a similar marking (no destination, and then a crossout for 62 Mulberry St). At this point, I just wonder if all four of them are traveling together. The other two are Giamberardino Grano age 29, and Nicola Grano age 36, also from Campobasso. Nicola Grano has been to the US once before, in 1903 at Pittsburg PA.

Also another trip of Vincenzo's, Jun 5 1906 on Luisiana from Naples, where he is traveling with his wife and Nicola's young siblings, "visiting son in law Giamberardino Grano at 62 Mulberry St NY".

So how is Giamberardino Grano a son-in-law to Vincenzo? He must be married to another of Vincenzo's daughters, one that I have not identified yet. The ones on the Luisiana all have Albino surnames and are too young, and Nicola is not married yet.

Another trip for Nicola Grano: Mar 2, 1910, married, 42 years old, traveling on the Duca D'Aosta from Napoli; traveling with son Germano age 27, will work as masons, wife is Maria Carlone but she is not with him

Another trip for Nicola Grano: Apr 19, 1916, married, 48 years old, traveling on the America from Naples; traveling with daughter Maria age 18, a housewife

Giovanni Grano has a trip Oct 28, 1920 on the America from Naples: age 43, mason, traveling with son Giuseppe, age 15; wife is Giovanna, visiting brother in law Nicola Albino 87 Porter St Boston. THIS IS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER! He was living at 87 Porter St.

So, now I have three Grano brothers that are related to me somehow, with wife's names for two of them, and one child each. Can anyone help me connect them more decisively to the Albinos?

Many thanks!
Donna Albino
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname: Grano in New York City

Post by nuccia »

Nick's is 18 Maiden Lane, Vincenzo's 62 Mulberry St. The people right ahead of Nick and Vincenzo in the log also had a similar marking (no destination, and then a crossout for 62 Mulberry St). At this point, I just wonder if all four of them are traveling together.
They may have traveled together..especially if they were Birds of Passage who went to the US to work and when their assignments were done they would go home. They would return again later to work hence the term Birds of Passage. Mulberry St. was a common place to "meet" for immigrants. Sometimes they lived there, sometimes they used the address only for the manifest and then went on to their final destination. In this case though you seem to have a connection been Vincenzo and his son in law.

So, you have studied all the manifests carefully. Have you placed any of the families on Census records yet? I think this would be the best place to start.

Lets see if we can find anything for you.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Donna - I may have your Grano family in my database. Giamberardino Grano, born circa 1881 in Campobasso (CB), and Maria Giovanna d’Albino, born circa 1885 in Campodipietra (CB), were married on 23 APR 1904 in Campodipietra (CB). FHL INTL Film 1733315, Campobasso: Registi dello Stato Civile, MATRIMONI 1906 Parte II No. 27, 11 DEC 1906. Giamberardino Grano was the son of Giuseppe Grano and Maria Teresa Palladino. Maria Giovanna d’Albino was the daughter of Vincenzo d’Albino and Angela Maria Carlone. Campodipietra is a small town of about 2000 inhabitants (2001 census), called campopetresi, located about 7 kilometers from Campobasso. This family seems to fit your facts.

If this is your Grano family, then treating Giamberardino Grano as the First Generation, here is some additional information about the Grano line:

[align=center]Second Generation[/align]

Giuseppe Grano was born circa 1841 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. He married Maria Teresa Palladino on 10 AUG 1869 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. FHL INTL Film 1733312, MATRIMONI 1869, No. 50, 10 AUG 1869.

Maria Teresa Palladino was born circa 1843 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie.

[align=center]Third Generation[/align]

Giamberardino Grano. Giamberardino married Vittoria Lembo.

Vittoria Lembo.

Giuseppe Palladino was born on 23 OCT 1805 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443293, PROCESSETTI 1828, Numero del Registro 57, foglio 1, 14 NOV 1828. He died on 26 NOV 1868 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. FHL INTL Film 1733316, MORTI 1868, No. 390, 27 NOV 1868. He married Maria Felicia di Toro on 14 DEC 1828 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. FHL INTL Film 1443292, MATRIMONI 1828, N. d'ordine cinquantasette, 31 DEC 1828.

Maria Felicia di Toro was born on 06 DEC 1806 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443293, PROCESSETTI 1828, Numero del Registro 57, foglio 3, 14 NOV 1828. She died on 27 JAN 1876 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. FHL INTL Film 1733317, MORTI 1876, Numero 30, 27 JAN 1876.

[align=center]Fourth Generation[/align]

Angelo Palladino was born circa 1754/1770 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He died on 01 SEP 1850 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. FHL INTL Film 1442251, MORTI 1850, N. d'ordine 216, 02 SEP 1850. He married Libera d'Innocenzio.

Libera d'Innocenzio was born circa 1762/1767 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 28 FEB 1827 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. FHL INTL Film 1424490, MORTI 1827, No. d'ordine 47, 28 FEB 1827.

Pasquale Maria di Toro was born on 22 NOV 1782 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443295, PROCESSETTI 1830, No. del Reg. 13, foglio 1, 24 FEB 1830.He died on 30 JAN 1835 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. FHL INTL FILM 1424491, MORTI 1835, No. d'ordine 16, 31 JAN 1835.He married Fiorenza Oriente.

Fiorenza Oriente was born circa 1787/1790 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 05 JUL 1827 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. FHL INTL Film 1424490, MORTI 1827, No. d'ordine 121, 06 JUL 1827 [follows prior record #121].

[align=center]Fifth Generation[/align]

Biase Palladino. Biase married Teresangela di Tota.

Teresangela di Tota.

Matteo d'Innocenzio was born circa 1725/1730. He died on 10 JUN 1810 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1424488, MORTI 1810, NUM. novantaquattro, 11 JUN 1810. He married Maria Giovanna Augelli.

Maria Giovanna Augelli was born circa 1737 in Pescolanciano, Isernia, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 20 APR 1775 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443274, PROCESSETTI 1812, d'Innocenzio e Foresta Mese di Giugno, foglio 4, 22 MAY 1812.

Francesco Saverio di Toro was born circa 1749 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. He died on 18 JAN 1825 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno delle Due Sicilie. FHL INTL Film 1424490, MORTI 1825, No. d'ordine 8, 19 JAN 1825. He married Teresangela di Meo.

Teresangela di Meo was born circa 1738 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. She died on 15 NOV 1813 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1424488, MORTI 1813, N. d'ordine duecento quarantotto, 15 NOV 1813.

Giorgio Oriente was born circa 1742. He died on 16 AUG 1789 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443299, PROCESSETTI 1836, Numero del Reg. 30, foglio 3, 28 MAY 1836. He married Rosa Veleno.

Rosa Veleno.

[align=center]Sixth Generation[/align]

Giovanni di Toro was born circa 1726. He died on 03 OCT 1769 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443295, PROCESSETTI 1830, No. del Reg. 13 foglio 3, 24 FEB 1830. He married Teresa Taurozzi.

Teresa Taurozzi.

Giovanni di Meo. Giovanni married Rosalia di Benedetto.

Rosalia di Benedetto.

Carlo Oriente was born circa 1709/1710. He died on 02 AUG 1795 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. FHL INTL Film 1443288, PROCESSETTI 1820, No. del Reg. 63, foglio 4, 07 NOV 1820. He married Angela Palladino.

Angela Palladino.

[align=center]Seventh Generation[/align]

Nicola Oriente. Nicola married Domenica Palladino.

Domenica Palladino.

Note that the Ufficio di Stato Civile for Campobasso spelled Maria Giovanna’s surname d’Albino. I’m not familiar with the civil records of Campodipietra, so I’m not sure if this is an error on the part of the recorder or if it is the proper spelling. The surname Albino is a common surname in both Campobasso and especially the neighboring town of Ferrazzano. Also note that the surname Augelli is sometimes spelled Aucelli and the surname Veleno is sometimes spelled Veneno.

If this is the Grano family you're looking for, then I can provide you with more sources. If so, send me a PM. It appears that your d'Albino aka Albino family may have originated in Campodipietra (CB). I hope some of this helps.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Donna - I searched the White Pages for the surnames D'Albino and Albino in the town of Campodipietra. I found no entries under d'Albino, but 4 entries under Albino. Either the Ufficio di Stato Civile in Campobasso made an error in transcibing d'Albino or the surname itself has been subject to variations. I suspect that research in the Stato Civile of Campodipietra will show which is the case. There are also 7 entries for the surname Carlone. The Church of Latter Day Saints has filmed the civil records of Campodipietra, 1809-1910. Go to [url=http://]www.familysearch.org[/url], follow Library>FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog>Places, then enter "Campodipietra" to see the film notes. They appear to be quite complete and, assuming this is your ancestral home, should take your family back well into the 1700s. These films can be rented and viewed at the Church's Family History Centers. You can find the nearest location at the above website.

As I mentioned, Campodipietra is a small town of about 2000 inhabitants. It was founded before 1000 A.D., when Federico the Lame, together with a group of German soldiers, settled in the place called Costa di Santa Maria. However, pre-Roman ruins have been found in the area. Between the 12th and 14th centuries, it was a fief belonging to the Marchisio, Gambatesa, di Capua, and Carafa families. It's patron saint is San Martino Vescovo and on the first Sunday in November a feast is held in his honor. Chiesa di San Martino dates back to 1770 and contains a valuable painting of the Immaculate Conception by the molisano Paolo Gamba. Cattle fairs and street markets are held in June and November. Several games, such as l'albero della cuccagna [the greasy pole] and la corsa nei sacchi [the sack race], are organized during the summer. Lacc' e patane [celery and potatoes] is a typical dish served with D.O.C. wines as Cerasuolo and Trebbiano.
John Armellino
dalbino83
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dalbino83 »

Thanks for all your help, John. I'm excited about going to one of the local FHCs tomorrow and ordering the microfilm for Campodipietra's civil registrations.

Fascinating to me that the last name might have been d'Albino for a while. No one in my family knew that!

Donna
seaweed_dragon

Post by seaweed_dragon »

Hi guys,

My last name is "De Grano", and I'm just wondering if "Grano" and "De Grano" came from the same family tree?

Also my wife's last name is Amberti, do you know if that is an italian surname?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I checked the surname distribution search engine at www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/ and found the following results:

Grano appears in 164 comuni today with concentrations in quite a few regions, including a small concentration in the Campobasso area. Di Grano appears in 7 comuni, mostly in Sicily. De Grano appears in only 4 widely disbursed comuni.

I have not run across the surname de Grano in my own reseach, which has been primarily in the Campobasso area. I suspect that Grano, di Grano, and de Grano are all variations of the same surname, but the very wide distribution would indicate that the surname did not have one area of origin.

Amberti does appear in 20 comuni, the majority located in region of Piemonte.
John Armellino
seaweed_dragon

Post by seaweed_dragon »

Thanks John,

So does that mean I am of Italian descent? I've always thought my last name was of Spanish origin.

does anybody know how to find people using their last name? the reason I ask is because I'm interested in finding my father-in-law's mother, who left them in an ophanage.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Are you talking about US records? If so, the Social Security death index is the best way. You search by last name, you don't need a SS#. If you are talking about a living person, any of the white pages might work, if the name is not too common. Census records (available to 1930) are another way. If you need some help, let us know.

ps. I think you might be Italian :lol:

pps. If you want help with any records, start a new thread to post the info.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

So does that mean I am of Italian descent? I've always thought my last name was of Spanish origin.
You know the old saying...

There are only two kinds of people in the world - Italians and people who wish they were Italian!

Either way, you've got it covered.
John Armellino
dirgrano

Post by dirgrano »

I found this site by accident and started reading about the Grano's. I was stunned when I read Donna's entry that stated..."Another trip for Nicola Grano: Mar 2, 1910, married, 42 years old, traveling on the Duca D'Aosta from Napoli; traveling with son Germano age 27, will work as masons, wife is Maria Carlone but she is not with him."

I am a Grano and live in the Cleveland area. I had a greatgrandfather named Nicola who was married to Maria Carlone. He was a mason and was from Campobasso. He was born in 1867, which would have made him 42 in 1910.
From what I believed, his sons and daughters all settled in Cleveland.

If the Nicola that Donna is talking about is my Greatgrandfather, then I am missing a whole link to my Cleveland family....

Can anyone help me w/ this?