Simone [Prestisimone?] of Cefalu, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Canardius

Simone [Prestisimone?] of Cefalu, Sicily

Post by Canardius »

Hello, my name is Donald Broussard and I am a descendant of Salvatore Simone, a Cefalu native who died in New Orleans, LA in 1890. His wife was Josephine Rizzo, also of Italy. I am trying to find out any Sicilian lines before the immigration and if the name had been Prestisimone to begin with. All of Salvatore's children got the middle initial P. according to their birth records of New Orleans.

Thank you.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Simone [Prestisimone?] of Cefalu, Sicily

Post by PeterTimber »

Prestisimone is a valid surname and in fact there are 4 persons in Italy having that surname. One is in Rome and the remaining 3 are in Naples. Immigrant entry of Sicilians to New Orleans also reflects Prestsimone in passenger arrivals during the 1890 period you made refernce to. Go to www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans/ships.htm. for the listing of the Passenger list with the surname. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website should read www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/la/orleans/ships.htm. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website address will not print out so go to www.sicilianfamilytree.com/ships&Naturalization.htm and then select Ships to New Orleans and then follow thru. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Sorry for the delay but please bear with me. This should do it. Go to www.sicilianfamilytree.com and then in the left column select research ideas & links. then select ships and naturalization. =Peter=
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Hi, I'm a direct descendant of a Prestisimone from Cefalu. They emigrated to Argentina (Eugenio Prestisimone), where a whole family and relatives live with that last name....relatives of mine.
I have done and am doing research into this name from Cefalu...but I have to tell you that I am having a hard time finding their ancestors because apparently they went from Marina di Fuscaldo, Calabria to Cefalu in the early 1800s. Look into this link and you'll see some of them:
http://www.sicilianfamilytree.com/
although they were missread sometimes. Also, Presti is a very common surname in Cefalu...so I'm looking for the union, since it must be resent or there would be many more.

Hope this helps.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Marina di Fuscaldo is a frazione of Fuscaldo proper, postale 87024 and has microfilm FHL records from 1809 while Cefalu starts in 1820 so there is a 10 year window to trace back easily. =Peter=
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Indeed, I have the films for 1843-46 and 1846-49 and 1876 on...and the rest I have already sent to Jennifer who posted it at www.sicilianfamilytree.com...I gotta send her more info, but my household goods, except this laptop are somewhere in the atlantic sea en-route to my new home in Pisa...he he...

Donald, what was the year or estimated year of birth of Salvatore Simone? Maybe I can find it at the FHC tomorrow. I think you are better off finding his birth certificate...I love looking at Cefalu's records...they are neat and most have an index.

Gerald
Lagnusu

Post by Lagnusu »

Donald, my great-grandfather was Vincenzo Cefalu and he landed in New Orleans around 1869 from Cefalu, Sicily. He later brought his mother to New Orleans, around 1890. Her name was Rosaria Prestisimone Cefalu. There is a Via Prestisimone in Cefalu, so it must have been a historic name.
Canardius

Post by Canardius »

My mother's uncle, Salvadore Presi Simone, was born in 1891 in New Orleans, LA and named for his grandfather Salvador. This younger Salvador signed his name on his World War I draft registration as "Salvador Presti Simone" giving Presti as his middle name. His father usually went by "Toney P. Simone" and all of Toney's siblings had P. as middle initial.

I have my original salvador born c. 1833; he died in New Orleans in September 1890 at age 57 years and 1 month according to his death record. Below is transcription of Salvador's obituary:

New Orleans Times Picayune Obituaries
7 September 1890
Page 2 Column 3
SIMONE - Saturday, Sept. 6, 1890, at 9 o'clock am, S. P. SIMONE, SR. aged 57 years and 1 month, a native of Cefalu, Italy, and a resident of this city for the past 40 years.
The friends and acquaintances of the family and those of his son, S. P. Simone, Jr. and the members of St Bartholomew Benevolent Association, also those of the Italian Mutual benevolent Association are respectfully invited to attend the funeral which will take place Sunday, Sept. 7, at 3 o'clock pm from the late residence of the deceased, No. 6 St Peteres between Hospital and Ursuline streets.
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

I looked at LDS film #1964518 between 1873-1910 for marriages only.

Found a marriage in 1892, Item #94
Salvatore Prestisimone, 35 years old (born abt 1857), married a Maria Cavallaro of 23 y/o (born abt 1869)

Salvatore's parents were listed as:
fu (deceased) Pasquale and Carmela Giardina

Maria Cavallaro's parents were:
Giovanni and Rosaria Ferrara

Hope this helps, and if anyone comes across an Angela Prestisimone born in Cefalu in abt 1840, I need info on her parents.

Gerald (Martinez-Martini...I must come across a lot on ancestry.com :)
Canardius

Post by Canardius »

I see from transcriptions of the New Orleans Passenger indices that a Pasquale Prestisimone, age 59, arrived in New Orleans in November 1882. He may be father of that Salvator who married.

My Salvatore Prestisimone was born in Cefalu on 2 August 1834, son of Salvatore Alphonso Prestisimone [age 46] and his wife Rosa Ferrara [age 41] according to a birth record found in Cefalu by my cousin who is mailing me a copy. It is possible that Pasquale, Salvator, and Angela Prestisimone Greco are all siblings, being as Salvatore A. Prestisimone was born c. 1788.....
Donald Broussard
Member, Order of the Crown of Charlemagne
Canardius

Post by Canardius »

Actually, thinking more on it, Angela might not be a sibling of Salvatore Prestisimone or Pasquale, but her mother-in-law Giuseppina Prestisimone, could be. Giuseppina, wife of Giovanni Greco and mother by him of Francesco Greco and Vicente Greco.

As to that Pasquale who I mentioned came over to New Orleans:

Prestigiacomo, Prestifilippo, Prestisimone Passenger List Index -- Port of New Orleans Orleans Parish
Submitted by: Colleen Fitzpatrick July 1999
Source: Family History Center Microfilm No. 543-418
Louisiana, New Orleans Index to Passenger Lists
Also available through: Louisiana Division, Main Branch
New Orleans Public Library

Name First Name Sex Age Place of Birth Nationality Embarked at Ship Date of Arrival Dest. Occupation
in the U.S.
Prestigiacomo Antonina F 36 yrs Sicily Italy Palermo Giova 3 June 1892 New Orleans Housewoman
Prestigiacomo Francesco M 26 yrs Palermo Sicily Palermo Letimbre 4 Nov 1886 New Orleans Barber
Prestigiacomo Vincenzo M 27 yrs Sicily Italy Palermo Giova 3 June 1892 New Orleans Laborer

Prestifilippo Giuseppe M 40 yrs Italy Palermo Po 8 Dec 1891 New Orleans Laborer
Prestifilippo Giuseppa F. F 8 yrs Italy Palermo Po 8 Dec 1891 New Orleans
Prestifilippo Nicolina G. F 27 yrs Italy Palermo Po 8 Dec 1891 New Orleans

Prestisimone Francesco M 14 yrs Sicily Italy Naples Scandinavia 6 Nov 1882 U.S.
Prestisimone Pasquale M 59 yrs Sicily Italy Naples Scandinavia
Donald Broussard
gerald325i
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerald325i »

Donald, any progress with the Prestisimone?
Canardius

Post by Canardius »

gerald325i wrote:Donald, any progress with the Prestisimone?
My cousin went to Utah and found that our ancestor Salvatore Alphonso Prestisimone had a sister, Angela, born 1826 in Cefalu and died 1827. Then came Sal, then twin boys, Vincenzo and Giuseppe Giovanni, both born 19 Jul 1837, with Giuseppe dying in an epidemic in 1838 at age 8 months. Their mother, Rosa Ferrara, was born c. 1793 and died in that epidemic, 1 Aug 1837.
Donald Broussard