Canicattari?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Canicattari?

Post by warriorrabbit »

Giuseppe Visalli arrives in NYC in 1907 aboard the Friedrich der Grosse. He was born in San Pier Niceto, but says his last place of residence is Canicattari. That's how ellisisland.org transcribed it, and what it looks like, but I can't find it. Any thoughts?
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Canicattari?

Post by pink67 »

I think it's Canicattini

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canicattini_Bagni

Hope this can help....
Bye
Laura :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I suspect that his town of origin is Canicatti, Postale 96010, Provincia Agrigento is the town listed in the manifest for the 7 apparently contract laborers destined to Boston on a Germanlloyd passenger ship prepared by someone in Naples prior to their departure. Its not the first time manifests have been found wanting. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The place of birth in the manifest clearly reads Canicattini. I believe that Laura is correct, the town is Canicattini Bagni, Province of Siracusa
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Well, they're both pretty far afield from his place of birth, San Pier Niceto...but I can see now how what looked like an a could be an i and the first hump of the n (and the r the second hump).

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It could be either town and both are strong possiblities so the best way to find out is for someone to check the Canicatti Bagni microfilms which go from 1809 to 1910 while those of Canicatti proper do not exist on microfilm. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You can go to your nearest Mormon family history library by going to www.famuilysearch.org and then rent out the civil records forCanicattari Bagni for about $5.00. They supply the equipment to view and copies can be made on the premises. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:You can go to your nearest Mormon family history library by going to www.famuilysearch.org and then rent out the civil records forCanicattari Bagni for about $5.00. They supply the equipment to view and copies can be made on the premises. =Peter=
I believe you meant Canicattini Bagni...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

One typo out of two is not so bad. =Peter=