finding great grandparent's death certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dematteo2

finding great grandparent's death certificates

Post by dematteo2 »

I have almost every document I need to begin the application process for dual citizenship, but I am missing two key documents---my great grandparent's death certificates. My grandfather has no idea when his parents died, nor do any of his living siblings. I find it a little strange not knowing when your own parents died, but that's just me. I did a search on ancestry.com and came up with nothing. So here I am, lost. Does anybody have any idea how I can track these documents down? I know they were living in the Bronx at the time of their death, but the big question is when. I've heard somewhere in the 70's, but nobody has provided me with an exact date. Thanks...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: finding great grandparent's death certificates

Post by PeterTimber »

If they died after 1963 they are listed in the socialsecurity death index at www.ssdi.rootsweb.com. If you need a copy of their original application you can go to the SS-5 and send a form letter to the social securiy administration that will show up when hyou click that box. It will cost about $30.00 last I heard.

Once you have the dates of their passing you can send off for a copy of the birth record (long form). Go to www.italiangen.org/database.stm for the application which you can rpint out to obtain a death certificate but I would call the telephone number listed for advice. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am sorry that your grandvfather did not know when they died but then again you did not tell me the names of the Ggrandparents and the decades you are talking about so that I could have checked and given you all the information you need with this response. Sometimes when you get old you forget. =Peter=
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

PeterTimber wrote:I am sorry that your grandvfather did not know when they died but then again you did not tell me the names of the Ggrandparents and the decades you are talking about so that I could have checked and given you all the information you need with this response. Sometimes when you get old you forget. =Peter=
I'm in my 40's and I forget things! :lol: I may be in trouble 10 years from now! 8O
dematteo2

Post by dematteo2 »

Thanks Peter. I used that link you provided and didn't come up with anything. Maybe you'll have better luck. My GFF's name is Albert (Alberto) De Matteo and he died in the late 60's, early 70's in the Bronx. His wife's name is Mary (Maria) De Matteo and I believe she also died around that time. I appreciate the help.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Perhaps you already saw this record but I'll post :

Social Security Death Index
about Albert Dimatteo
Name: Albert Dimatteo
SSN: 111-10-8237
Born: 16 Jun 1918
Died: Jan 1972
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951

Laura
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

This may help, a bit more information
from a previous post
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =8048.html

edit: added
For reference (poster has this)
1914 manifest
page 2
Lines 12 & 13
detained page
Line 21
dematteo2

Post by dematteo2 »

Thanks pink. I searched again because apparently I wasn't searching correctly. Unfortunately, the info you provided belongs to a different Albert. My GFF's DOB was March 17, 1891 and his wife's was August 19th, 1890. I did find a Maria De Matteo whose last residence was the Bronx, but her birthday was listed as being August 16th, 1891. I'll continue looking...
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Dematteo!!

I'm sorry that you can't find your GGrandparents's death certificates...
I searched another time the 1930 Census for them, just to see which was the area they were living in in those years, but the only sure date I found is that they weren't in the same house of the 1920 census:

1920 census:
2490 Hoffman Street, Bronx

[img=http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9032 ... fs0.th.jpg]

1930 census:
2490 Hoffman street, Bronx

[img=http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/766/ ... tx8.th.jpg]

But this record form Italgen.org wasn't about your GreatGrandfather??

Dematteo Albert 54 y Death date: Feb 17 1940 3919 Kings D530

Laura :)