Minori vs. Maori?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Minori vs. Maori?

Post by DeborahLar »

Can someone tell me the difference between Minori and Maori? I have documents that say both. Also the difference between Montercorvino Rovello and Montecorvino Pugliano?

Deborah Aceto Larsen
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Minori vs. Maori?

Post by liviomoreno »

DeborahLar wrote:Can someone tell me the difference between Minori and Maori? I have documents that say both. Also the difference between Montercorvino Rovello and Montecorvino Pugliano?

Deborah Aceto Larsen
Montecorvino Rovello and Montecorvino Pugliano? Although very close one to the other they are two different small towns (comuni), in the Salerno province.
Also Maiori and Minori are comuni in the same province, facing the mediterranean sea.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Minori and Maiori are last two towns on the Amalfi drive. This tour through Positano, Amalfi, Minori and Maiori, with a side trip to Ravello, is a must-see on any trip to the Sorrento area. Ravello is especially spectacular, with an incredible view of the sea from Villa Cimbrone.
John Armellino
DeborahLar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeborahLar »

John, it looks lovely. I take it that you have stayed there before? Is it expensive? Would I fly into Naples and rent a car?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Deborah

I stayed at Hotel Ristorante La Tonnarella in Sorrento in 2004. We rented a car to take us along the Amalfi Drive. We stopped at Ravello and our driver suggested that we take the 15-minute walk to Villa Cimbrone. It was simply the most breathtaking view I have ever seen. You actually felt you were in the clouds.

The hotels in Ravello and Positano can be expensive, but La Tonnarella is reasonable. Check out the special offers on their website --- about 100 euros per night for a double with a sea view. They also have some beautiful suites that can be shared by a family or two couples. And the hotel is really nice, perched on a bluff with a panoramic view of Sorrento and Vesuvius, a first-class restaurant, and a private beach.

Although I have rented a car in other regions, I personally wouldn't drive in that particular area. The road winds along the coast with very little room to pass. For example, as I was walking into Sorrento one day, using the sidewalk, I was struck in the arm by the side view mirror of a passing truck! Luckily, it was the type of mirror that retracts and I was no worse for wear. We all had a good laugh about it - even the driver of the truck, who had stopped and was initially very concerned.

I think everyone should visit the Sorrento area at least once. You have Sorrento itself, the Amalfi Drive, Pompei or Herculaneum, Capri, and even Naples isn't too far away. One lesser known site is Punta del Capo, just south of Sorrento, where you can walk in and around the ruins of a Roman villa. You can even swim in a grotto that was built right into the villa.
John Armellino