Surname Federico, is it Sicilian?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
DiGiulio

Surname Federico, is it Sicilian?

Post by DiGiulio »

Hi, my name is David, and I am new to this websites, my grandfather was born in Abruzzo, in the province of L'Aquila, in the Sulmona area. About three years ago, I got a family tree of his side of the family from my aunt, and one of my ancesters had the last name Federico. I did some research on the name and found that it was most comman in Sicily. I just whant to know how this is possible, I know Abruzzo is a little ways from Sicily, I have heard that the history of Abruzzo is connected to southern Italy, because it was part of the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, which were Sicily and Naples. This brings me to my next question, sence all of southern Italy was ruled by the Kingdom of Sicily, does that mean that all southern Italians are mixed with Sicilian, from back around that time? Any information on this, I would realy apreciate it. Thank you so much! David
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Surname Federico, is it Sicilian?

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

The name is common throughout Italy. Here is a link that shows where in Italy the name is found. Type in Federico where it says cognome and hit the red arrow.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/
DiGiulio

Post by DiGiulio »

misbris wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum,

The name is common throughout Italy. Here is a link that shows where in Italy the name is found. Type in Federico where it says cognome and hit the red arrow.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/
Yes, I know about that website, I use it alot when I whant to find out what part of Italy an Italian surname comes from. I apreciate you responding to my question, thank you, and thank you for welcoming me to the form. I am glad to be here!
TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TonyDiNobile »

Hi David....My family Di Nobile are also from Abruzzi/Molise , the towns of Ripalimosani and Matrice....While doing my own research I have also noticed that in some marriage listing certain spouses are listed as coming from Sicily....Like yourself I am not sure why ?....Given that these were old records and considering the distance it is confusing....I will keep researching this question , hopefully someone will have the answer....

Tony
DiGiulio

Post by DiGiulio »

TonyDiNobile wrote:Hi David....My family Di Nobile are also from Abruzzi/Molise , the towns of Ripalimosani and Matrice....While doing my own research I have also noticed that in some marriage listing certain spouses are listed as coming from Sicily....Like yourself I am not sure why ?....Given that these were old records and considering the distance it is confusing....I will keep researching this question , hopefully someone will have the answer....

Tony
Thank you Tony, I apreciate you helping me with this question! It is kinda confusing, but interesting. A nother thing that I am trying to figure out is that two my oldest aunts told me that my grandfather said that he was also part Neapolitan. I dont know how far back in his ancestry it goes, because I cant find a link to Naples. If anyone would be willing to help me on this, just let me know and I will give his name, and some of the names on the family tree, I would apriciate this aswell, thank you! Another interesting thing is one my ancesters had the last Franciosa wich is found in Slento wich is the southern part Pugilia.... Again I thank you both for helping me on this! Take care. <br> David
TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TonyDiNobile »

Hi David....There has to be some connection to Naples because even though my ancestors came from Abruzzi/Molise when I have used the surname website mentioned the highest concentration(%) is in the province of Caserta which is around Naples....The mystery continues....

Tony
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The surname FERDICO is of West Sicilian origin while FENDERICO is properly Neopolitan while Lombardia and Emilia Romagna is FRIZZI allbased on FEDERICO and FEDERIGO recorded in Italy after 1000AD in its latin form of German Frederigus, Fredericus and Fridericus from GERMAN FRIEDRICH. The surname spread thruouit Italy from the 12th and 13th centuries as a result of German kings, emporers and assorted nobility. In Particular FEDERICO 1 BARBAROSSA and FEDERICO 11 in Sicily and later followed by the Spanish kings similary named Federico 11 and 111.

The surname Federico next shows up in URBINO amongst the Montefeltro family with King FEDERIGO 1422-82. MANTUA and the Gonzaga family with Federico 1439-84 and Federico 1500-40

These are Rulers of Italy sporting the surname FEDERICO and so it can easily be said that Federico has many fathers and one mother!!!=Peter=
DiGiulio

Post by DiGiulio »

PeterTimber wrote:The surname FERDICO is of West Sicilian origin while FENDERICO is properly Neopolitan while Lombardia and Emilia Romagna is FRIZZI allbased on FEDERICO and FEDERIGO recorded in Italy after 1000AD in its latin form of German Frederigus, Fredericus and Fridericus from GERMAN FRIEDRICH. The surname spread thruouit Italy from the 12th and 13th centuries as a result of German kings, emporers and assorted nobility. In Particular FEDERICO 1 BARBAROSSA and FEDERICO 11 in Sicily and later followed by the Spanish kings similary named Federico 11 and 111.

The surname Federico next shows up in URBINO amongst the Montefeltro family with King FEDERIGO 1422-82. MANTUA and the Gonzaga family with Federico 1439-84 and Federico 1500-40

These are Rulers of Italy sporting the surname FEDERICO and so it can easily be said that Federico has many fathers and one mother!!!=Peter=
Thank you for that information on Federico! Does this mean that those who have this surname Spelled F.E.D.E.R.I.C.O have anykind of Sicilian ancestry? Thanks...David