A challenge for you all - Italian letter dated 1833

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

A challenge for you all - Italian letter dated 1833

Post by Falcieri »

Hi all,

I understand the basic premise of the below letter but perhaps someone can string it together into legible sentences for me.

I have copy typed from an original hand written document so one or two individual characters I may have misread (I can scan the original for email if this is better) but if anyone can do a complete Italian (possible Venetian) translation I will eternally grateful.

Regards,

Claudia

Signore,

Il Signor Disraeli mio principale, mia comunicato che vostra Signoria Desidera Disapere di qual nacione jo sono e quanto tempo che io prestai servicio al Defunto Nobil Lord Byron; Dicio con piasere sodisfa alla sue Domande;

Il mio nome è Giovanni Batista Falciari; native di Venezia; la mia prima profecione estata di Gondoliere, comeprese è quela di mio padre, e Fratele; jo presi servicio Col Dto Nobile Lord in Venezia io qualito Di suo Gondoliere, nel ano 1817 indi alla sua partensa di Venezia il D’to Nobile Lord Mostro di avere agrado che is loueguitase; il io invaghito Del mio amorosicimo prensipale, Il andonai la patria e parenti; e con tutto il calore Del mio core, lo seguitai per ogni Dove, Fino al Fatale momento di sua morte, che è eseguita in gresia, nella vitta di Mesolongi, nel ano 1824; indi Dopo la sua morte credei Bene di non abandonau lonorevole Corpo, e di aconpagnarlo fino alla sua tomba, per renduli imici ultimi doveri, col agurarli Dal gielo recue è riposo;

In nula altro Comondate dame, ove vi posi sudisfarvi, non mancaro Di serivere;

Conpatite ò signore, il mio mol serivere, è con vera stima, id rispeto, di voi
Vostro il mio è rispetosieimo

Servitore

Giovanni Batista Falcieri

Ps
Avertite Bene, che in conbie di chiamarmi col mio intiera nome, Lord Byron mi chiamaua sempre col sol nome di Tita. Come genesolinuito si costuma in Venezia di chiamare col nome di Tita, in canbis di Batista:
misbris
Master
Master

Re: A challenge for you all - Italian letter dated 1833

Post by misbris »

Hi Guys,

I am bumping this to the top because, as a teacher of English literature, I want to know about Lord Byron. Somebody please translate this. My rudimentary knowledge of Italian is not enough to figure it out. I am sooo jealous that Claudia's ancestors hobnobed ( is that really a word?) with one of the greatest names in English literature!!!!!! 8) 8)

MJ :lol:
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I'll willingly have a look at it, but can't do so until tomorrow I'm afraid.

So if someone else can do it before - that's fine....

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hi MJ,

Well there's plenty more where that came from! I'm writing my ancestor's biography - currently at 54,000 words - and hoping for a publisher this year so fingers crossed.

Elba - happy to wait til tomorrow - I've been trying to find these documents for years!

You guys on this site are making my life so much easier now that the tricky research is upon me!

Regards,

Claudia
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Well I looked at it and decided to do it now - this is the best I can do as I'm not good with Venetian dialect. It's now 2.30am and I'm offf to bed...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Sir,
Mr. Disraeli my employer, has told me that your Lordship wishes to know from which nation I come and how long I worked for the late noble Lord Byron; I will talk of this and answer his questions willingly.

My name is Giovanni Batista Falciari; native of Venice; my first profession was that of gondolier, as it was of my father and brother; I went into service with the noble Lord in Venice as his gondolier in 1817 and upon his departure from Venice the same noble Lord demonstrated to have enjoyed che is loueguitase (?); and he became my loving employer, I visited his country and his family; and with all the heat of my heart, I followed him everywhere , right up to the fatal moment of his death, that happened in Greece among the vines of Mesolongi* in the year 1824; so after his death I really believed that I should not abandon the honourable body, and I accompanied it to his tomb, to render my ultimate duties, and to wish that he rest in peace.

Nothing else was asked of me, where you looked for satisfaction, I did not fail to serve.

Have pity on me sir, it is my way to serve with true value and respect for you.

With my best respects

Your servant

PS
Note well, that knowing me and calling me by my whole name, Lord Byron always called me with the name of Tita. As is the general usage and costume of Venice to call someone Tita who has the name of Batista
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*Mesolongi is in Greece
Byron caught a chill in the rain on April 9. He died at Missolonghi on 19 April. In June, Byron was buried in Hucknall Torkard Church, near Newstead Abbey in England. His memoirs, which he wanted published after his death, were burned by a group of his friends.

Edited to make correction - elba
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Benjamin Disraeli, was of course the Prime Minister of England. He lived from 1804 to 1881. Byron died in 1824. Disraeli's father, Isaac, was a writer and born in Italy. This letter may be to the elder Disraeli.
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Many thanks Elba - that's brilliant! A million thank you's!

:D
elba wrote:Well I looked at it and decided to do it now - this is the best I can do as I'm not good with Venetian dialect. It's now 2.30am and I'm offf to bed...

Sir,
Mr. Disraeli my employer, has told me that your Lordship wishes to know from which nation I come and how long I worked for the late noble Lord Byron; I will talk of this and answer his questions willingly.

My name is Giovanni Batista Falciari; native of Venice; my first profession was that of gondolier, as it was of my father and brother; I went into service with the noble Lord in Venice as his gondolier in 1817 and upon his departure from Venice the same noble Lord demonstrated to have enjoyed che is loueguitase (?); and he became my loving employer, I visited his country and his family; and with all the heat of my heart, I followed him everywhere , right up to the fatal moment of his death, that happened in grace among the vines of Mesolongi* in the year 1824; so after his death I really believed that I should not abandon the honourable body, and I accompanied it to his tomb, to render my ultimate duties, and to wish that he rest in peace.

Nothing else was asked of me, where you looked for satisfaction, I did not fail to serve.

Have pity on me sir, it is my way to serve with true value and respect for you.

With my best respects

Your servant

PS
Note well, that knowing me and calling me by my whole name, Lord Byron always called me with the name of Tita. As is the general usage and costume of Venice to call someone Tita who has the name of Batista
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

*Mesolongi is in Greece
Byron caught a chill in the rain on April 9. He died at Missolonghi on 19 April. In June, Byron was buried in Hucknall Torkard Church, near Newstead Abbey in England. His memoirs, which he wanted published after his death, were burned by a group of his friends.
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hi Misbris,

Tita worked for both Benjamin and Isaac Disraeli. The Disraeli referred to here is Isaac for whom Tita worked as valet for 19 years.

If anyone else needs to know more about Tita and his long career let me know, I've been researching him for 15 years now and have most of his life in order.

Regards,

:D
misbris wrote:Benjamin Disraeli, was of course the Prime Minister of England. He lived from 1804 to 1881. Byron died in 1824. Disraeli's father, Isaac, was a writer and born in Italy. This letter may be to the elder Disraeli.
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Okay, I have two more little ones which I have had partial translations of before but are a bit confusing in places, particularly the second one. The first is from 1825 and is a resignation letter, the second is from 1829 and I think is an instruction from Falcieri to Signore Rossi to meet a boat at a certain time in London and to meet certain people there.

I promise I won't ask for any more! I don't have any more Italian originals at the moment.

A million thanks as always.

Claudia

Rispattabile Signora

Slo Dacisarmenta risoluto di ritornara in Grecia, e uovai al pia prasto possibila mandor ad affetto quasta mia Determinaziona egli a par quasto, elia rispattosamante la Sapplico di uolarni accordara la dimissiona doul di lai sarcuzia quanto pia sollacita souva la Grazia, elia la addimando altrattounto crascaranno in ma la obbligazioni cha la profasso, a la profafsano eternamarate pa la spaciola parfaranza cha si a dagnato di auova fingui a nie rigardo.

Accolza ad asacdisca la umicli mie praci e mi erada col pia profondo rispatto a subordinouzione

Suo vino pacino ad oblino sara

Giovanni Battista Falcieri

La Sigra Marietta Rossi, parti da questa la il Giorna 13 Giogno 1829 aller ore 7 ¾ di mattina, iote si in barco arinpato del London Dock e parta aller ore diesi a sete mernuti col Gastimento yui indicatto sia

The Brig Ann, - London Dock Buoy in the River

e pati per san petro Gurgo aconpagnata fino al Gastimento da Antonio Lega Zambelli a da Aspasia di lui filgia indi da Giovanni Battista Falcieri
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

The best I can do - but not too good I'm afraid... however
I would be interested to know how this compares with the 'partial' translation you had done.

Dearest Madam
I am decidedly determined to return to Greece, and nurse the possibility of sending with affection this determination of mine and for this I would respectfully ask you to agree to accept my resignation for which I will give as much security as you choose to ask for this favour, and I would ask in addition that I will not fall down in my duties that I declared, ** and I will be eternally grateful if you can deign to give me your word in this regard.
(N:B:This is a questionable interpretation of this sentence – sorry: **a la profafsano eternamarate pa la spaciola parfaranza cha si a dagnato di auova fingui a nie rigardo).

I tender my profound and humble prayers and I send these with my deepest respect and subordination
Your obliged and placid I am

Mrs Marietta Rossi, is leaving this day on the 13th June 1829 at 7.45 in the morning, to embark on the ship at the London Dock that leaves at 10.07 minutes with the merchant ship (bastimento) here indicated as
The Brig Ann, - London Dock mooring on the River
And will depart for Saint Petersburg accompanied as far as there by Antonio Lega Zambelli and by Aspasia who is daughter of Giovanni Battista Falcieri

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

Hi Elba,

Many thanks for these, it all makes sense! Reference the 1829 letter first, the only point I would make is that Aspasia was the daughter of Zambelli not Falcieri (this I know), so I would suggest that it says his daughter, rather than the daughter of but that is a minor point......

The only other question I have, and I don't know what is right as the other translation is slightly different to yours, is when he addresses the note at the top is he addressing it to Signora Marietta Rossi as an instruction to her to board a ship or is he writing it to a third party that Signora Rossi is departing and giving a third party advice on this.

Reference the 1825 letter, I have attached my earlier translation below. I think yours better however as it flows better and makes more sense, but I enclose it here as you are interested in the earlier translations I received.

Respectable Sir,

I have definitely decided to return to Greece and would the earliest possible to send with effect, this my intention. Therefore I respectfully beg you to agree to my resignation from your service. How many more reminders will be for this kindness that I to you ask, they will grow but the obligations that I profess and to you that I will profess eternally for this special favour that you have deigned with respect to me.

Receive this, my humble and believe me the most deepest respect and subordination.

Yours

Many thanks Elba, your help has been invaluable.

Regards,

Claudia
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

As for Aspasia being the daughter of Zambelli not Falcieri - yes I agree. I had written that first but then decided that maybe it DID mean the daughter of Falcieri. Here I did sense that he was writing to a third person.

While the note headed thus:

Rispattabile Signora

I found that 'Rispattabile Signora' meant literally Respectable Madam (NOT Sir...), but felt that in this context it would/should/might be 'Dearest Madam'

My apologies that the translation was not better.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Claudia,
the transcription of all the above letters is very poor. I believe that Elba did a great job in interpreting and translating theme however I doubt that the final translation reflects what Giovanni Battista Falcieri wrote.

This is only my two cents: I recommend that you post an image of the original letters to double check them.
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Falcieri »

For some reason it won't let me add attachments. Can I send direct?

Regards,

Claudia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I've sent you a pm with my email