GIULIANO's from Lipari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
graceoz

GIULIANO's from Lipari

Post by graceoz »

I live in Melbourne, Australia and am hoping to track down members of the GIULIANO family who emigrated from LIPARI to the U.S.A. around 1900. The exact date is unknown.

My great Grandfather was one of 17 children. 15 boys went to New York and he alone returned to Lipari. My Grandfather and two other boys were then born 2 of which later emigrated to Australia in about 1952.

I would expect that there are many GIULIANO's descending from all those original young men that went to New York a century ago to start a new life.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: GIULIANO's from Lipari

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 1,328 immigrants at NYC from 1892 to 1924 surnamed Giuliano. The remainder are not on the internet who came thru Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, along the coasts and New orleans, San francisco and even over the borders from Canada. The best way is to advertise, go thru Yahoo and Google for (in title) GIULIANO LIPARI GENEALOGY USA and see what comes up. =Peter=
graceoz

Post by graceoz »

Thank you Peter for your prompt reply. I am only just starting to look into the family history and your information is appreciated. :) Looks like a lot of Giuliano's made the trek to New York during that period.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is a list of Giulianos from Lipari who came through Ellis Island. Do you recognize any of the names? You can pull up the manifests to see if they are related. This is just the names that came up with one spelling of Giuliano and Lipari. You can try other possible spellings.

http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc
graceoz

Post by graceoz »

Thank you Misbris for that very handy information. :) Some of them could definately be my relatives but I will have to do some checking with my Dad and see if he can give me some more info. You are right about the spelling issue. That happened here in Australia too. The immigrants would turn up and they would ask them their name and because of the language barrier often it was misspelled and that is the way it was recorded. That Ellis Island website is very informative.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Graceoz the name changes that you describe as happening in OZ as well as the USA is a myth. Manifests are prepared overseas and are based upon travel documents issued by their governments to immigrants. The name changes that you are discussing occurs after entry when the immigrants enter gthe social fabric of the nation and by choice, mispelling, or ignornace of pronunciation changes in spelling occurred. Further the discrimination that occurred in both the USA and OZ helped fuel indifference to proper spelling and name changes froced upon the hapless immigrant. Just wanted to explode the myth.=Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I was more speaking of transcription problems in the records. The handwrtten records are at times difficult to decipher, and Italian letter formation is beautiful, but different. A name like Giuliano is particularly difficult to transcribe.

Giuliano
Giuliana
Guiliano
Ginliano
Giuliaso

You get my drift. :roll: :?

I think I read somewhere that you can correct an Ellis Island record. Peter, do you know if that is true?
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi MJ

I think you might be talking about the annotations option on the ellis island site. It's above the manifest and you can check that option to see if anyone has included comments (like correct spelling of name) or you can add your own annotation to it. I think alot of people tend to overlook this option when they search. Sometimes it contains useful information.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Thanks Elizabeth, :lol: :lol:

I'll look at that.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I only know that they used to amend the ships manifest when someone obtained citizenship and thenthe names were changed or corrected along with Immigration file numbers and citizenship reference. prior to WW11 there was a rash of these annotations. The practice was abandoned soon after the war was over. Thank you Elizabeth, =Peter=
graceoz

Post by graceoz »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Graceoz the name changes that you describe as happening in OZ as well as the USA is a myth. Manifests are prepared overseas and are based upon travel documents issued by their governments to immigrants. The name changes that you are discussing occurs after entry when the immigrants enter the social fabric of the nation and by choice, mispelling, or ignornace of pronunciation changes in spelling occurred. Further the discrimination that occurred in both the USA and OZ helped fuel indifference to proper spelling and name changes froced upon the hapless immigrant. Just wanted to explode the myth.=Peter=
Yes, it probably is a myth. Logically, the names would have been copied from the manifest as you say even if it was difficult to read at times and then changed after arrival into the country. I know that many first names were immediately anglisized. My Dad's name is Giuseppe but almost straight away became John and he has used that name ever since. I think alot of immigrants wanted to fit into society so were happy to do it but now may regret that they let go of such an important aspect of their identity. We have an immigration museum here in Melbourne and I might just go and have a look at some of those ship manifests. Thanks.