Sergio Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cbozzoli

Sergio Family

Post by cbozzoli »

Hi there,

I have a question about an old relative from mine, Giuseppe Sergio, who seems to have been born on Feb 7, 1895, very likely in Catanzaro. He died very young but was a very brave person, given the situation his family possibly endured.

There are many Giuseppe Sergio out there born in the XIX century in Italy, but none in 1895. It also does not seem to match with other immigration records I have found and I am wondering if his birthdate is correct, since I wanted to construct a genealogical tree and this "stem" is a bit difficult to define.

From them on I could possibly find other siblings and find where their ancestors are.

Thanks for any help on how to proceed.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Sergio Family

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi cbozzoli and welcome to the forum.

You have an actual birth date including the day and month, where did you obtain the information?

What were Giuseppe's parents full names (including his mothers maiden name)? What year did Giuseppe come to the USA? Did he have siblings, if so what were their names and approximate years of birth? Where did he live in the USA.

The more details you can give the easier it will be for people on the forum to help you.

Regards,
Elizabeth
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since you seem to think he was born in Catanzaro and you have a birthdate why not write for a copy of his birth record at the Uffico di Stato Civile in Catanzaro presuming that is the actual place of birth and not a town or village in the province of Catanzaro, Calabria.

The addresss for the Uffico di stato Civile Comune di Catanzaro, Piazza Rosario 6, Postale 88100, Calabria, Italy.

You can send a form letter in italian which is required but the document you request is free of charge so you might wish to consider sending along $5.00 bill or a postal coupon for the poorly paid clerks who researech written requests at the end of day.

The form letter can be obtained thru www.mangeruca.com. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since you seem to think he was born in Catanzaro and you have a birthdate why not write for a copy of his birth record at the Uffico di Stato Civile in Catanzaro presuming that is the actual place of birth and not a town or village in the province of Catanzaro, Calabria.

The addresss for the Uffico di stato Civile Comune di Catanzaro, Piazza Rosario 6, Postale 88100, Calabria, Italy.

You can send a form letter in italian which is required but the document you request is free of charge so you might wish to consider sending along $5.00 bill or a postal coupon for the poorly paid clerks who researech written requests at the end of day.

The form letter can be obtained thru www.mangeruca.com. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In Italy we have an automatic system to sort the mail. To avoid delays I recommend that you use the following layout when writing the address on the envelope:

Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Rosario 6
88100 Catanzaro (CZ)
Italy
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In America we have the same system but all they scan is the zip code to deliver the mail faster. They use the system because there were too many people who could not read so they used numbers and hire less intelligent people. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

PeterTimber wrote:In America we have the same system but all they scan is the zip code to deliver the mail faster. They use the system because there were too many people who could not read so they used numbers and hire less intelligent people. =Peter=
Peter, this is a bit harsh no? I know you are joking but perhaps you can rephrase this? Some one might take you seriously and take offense.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I was around when they first instituted the system and this was the rationale that be came commonplace at the time. it has its humor but I suppose some people could take exception to it. But, neverthe less letters are routed by zip codes and not addresses until their received at their destination and the local postmen know where they should go to after that. I just wanted Livo to know the that the zip code is what counts not how the letter is addressed. =Peter=
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Peter,

You are tooooo funny. Actually, though, you made a great point. Automation reads the zip code, not the handwriting per se. And machines have replaced people in the sorting process.

In America, Livio, we do also have a standardized method of writing on the envelop. In our case, the zip or postal code is at the bottom of the address:

Name
Address
City and State
Zip.

Sometimes the zip follows the city and state, but it still is usually the last thing posted.

I never realized that by misaddressing an envelop to Italy, that it might cause it to be delayed or even rejected because the machine does the work!

Great point, Peter...

Nuccia, do they have regulated address for Canadian mail? I have sent some notes to relative there, but I never thought about the format. Guess it is probably automated there as well..

Everyone have a great night!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey guys :D !
I know, it's almost off topic ...
But, did you know that zip codes can reveal
fascinating information?
Info by zip code
Valarie
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

vj wrote:Hey guys :D !
I know, it's almost off topic ...
But, did you know that zip codes can reveal
fascinating information?
Info by zip code
Valarie
That is an amazing link, off topic or not! Wow!!

Thanks Valarie for sharing it with us..

Jim
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear VJ thanks for your ZIPskinny website. You sweetened the lemonade for us all. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear VJ thanks for your ZIPskinny website. You sweetened the lemonade for us all. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Dear Peter, I was just suggesting to use the standardized layout to avoid delays in delivery.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I think the standardized layout is very important. I know Carole has also stressed this point to me before.

Essgee, Here they also read/rely on the postal code for delivery. The layout is similar to that of the U.S. with the postal code being on the last line. Letters can be delivered without but it does take much. Ours begin with a letter...

M6N 3J2=M means its a Toronto addresses and then the other letters would be street, even or odd numbered home, etc.

Now yes, we are really off topic. Lets get back to cbozzoli question! :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database