Where to put film data

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

Where to put film data

Post by drivingalong »

I've been combing through microfilms from Verbicaro (not done yet) and have a list so far of about 340 people, many of whom, once I can go back another generation or two, are likely relatives. In doing so, the total number of different surnames I have is large because when searching for a surname, like Spingola, I find the mother's name and hence another surname on the list. Has any one started any sort of repository for this data or have a suggestion? I supposed I could create a tree on ancestry.com that has all these folks... or a web page... or ?

Example: searching 1869-1887 for surname Germano, I have found 9 different surnames from the mothers. I suspect there's people that would love to have this data available.

Jim
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Where to put film data

Post by Essgee »

I have extracted every person in a town with the same surname. And did make and female with husband's surnames. I used a spread sheet out of Excel.

I created columns for the Grandfather, Father, Mother, Child, Date of birth, date of death. I am sure you can add marriage. I just entered them as I went along from my notes. Eventually, I used the sort feature on Excel and I can list by common grandfather, common father, common mother, etc. It allows me to manipulated the data any which way.

I have tried using a Genealogy program for all of these, but it gets complicated since the first names repeat and you often just start with a single entry and then move on to another whole individual. If you use Excel you can sort and then enter into a genealogy program as you wish.

Many sites can take info on an excel format. It is just a suggestion that has worked for me. It really makes sense once you sort all the dispararte people. It can sort grandfather, then father, then child. So you get really extended family groupings.

Good Luck whatever method you choose!
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drivingalong »

Thanks. I have a good spreadsheet alread and it nicely can be saved as a web page. I'll have to decide where to post it.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Roots web is always a good choice, as access to it is free If you place it in a genealogy program, per se, the world is your oyster. The Family History Pedigree files are a good place as well. They don't charge for access either.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I (and my Cousin Angelina) have been extracting records in a comprehensive manner (all individuals, not specific surnames) for about 5 years. Initially I began keying directly into Excel, yet of late I discovered the amazing advantages of keying them into a Family Genealogy Program such as Family Tree Maker or Personal Ancestral File. By creating a comprehensive database of linked individuals you are one step ahead of the game as opposed to keying them in line by line, cell by cell.

As you ad a new record, you can look to see if the parents are already in the file and add the child to the group. When that child (eventually) marries you can attach him/her to that spouse, who more than likely will be in the database as well with his parents. Can you see where this is going? What you have in the end is something exceptional because you are not including your family only, it is everyone in the town, and only as recent as the records you are currently extracting.

Right now on my site we have completed 50,000 record extractions into Excel. The more you do, the more unmanageable the file. The complete marriage extractions 1568-1910 is a nightmare to work with. You can see it here:

Carini Exchange Resources

And also notice that my cousin Michel has been extracting the church records on the site into a Genealogy linked database. So far he's completed 1538-1727, and moving forward quickly.

I have the whole file easily downloadable in Gedcom format, so that in an instant all of Carini's earliest residents can be viewed in family groups and are already linked together by marriage and ancestry.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

James......

Amazing site! Wonderful resources. You are to be applauded! That represents hours and hours of work.

Terrific
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Essgee wrote:James......

Amazing site! Wonderful resources. You are to be applauded! That represents hours and hours of work.

Terrific
Thank you so much Essgee. It has taken 5 years to get to where we are now. One Web page alone can take up to 5 hours to create, as each image is copied (our FHC has no digital scanner) then scanned, cropped, a page designed and then the code written to link. I would put the hours in the dozens of thousands to date!

8O
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

James,

I have to say I have never seen a more comprehensive or FREE database in my life!

You and the others have donated so much time and money into this database and you ask for nothing in return. Truly amazing..truly unselfish! So many other sites either just transcribe records or charge for the information so the Carini Exchange is really in a class of its own. Its a hard act to follow.

Whats happens after Carini? Any other plans??
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

nuccia wrote:
Whats happens after Carini? Any other plans??

After
Carini? 8O

So many more records to upload and extract, I don't think it will ever be done.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

James,
The site is exquisite. You should be very proud.
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drivingalong »

Pretty nice job James. The films from Verbicaro are terribly hard to read or I'd entertain logging more names. I got about 380 people from the films from 1866-1887. Until I go back further, I can'd figure out how the families are related.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

drivingalong wrote:Pretty nice job James. The films from Verbicaro are terribly hard to read or I'd entertain logging more names. I got about 380 people from the films from 1866-1887. Until I go back further, I can'd figure out how the families are related.
Of course, that is why you create new unrelated family groups for every child born and then when you do get further back you can connect them to the proper line (attach the husband to his parents etc) and everything comes together beautifully.

Trust me it will amaze you as you go back in the records how everyone comes together.

does that make sense?
drivingalong
Rookie
Rookie

Post by drivingalong »

Yep. I really don't want to manually enter the 380 names I have... I'll have to see if there is an easy import form Excel. I'm sure I can figure something out.
blueturtles

Post by blueturtles »

I know I'm coming to the Carini Exchange party a little late. The site is no longer available, but I am hoping that someone downloaded the Carini Exchange GEDCOM file and they still have it on their hard drive. And that they would be willing to share it with me. Any help would be great. Thank you.
blueturtles

Post by blueturtles »

blueturtles wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 01:55 I know I'm coming to the Carini Exchange party a little late. The site is no longer available, but I am hoping that someone downloaded the Carini Exchange GEDCOM file and they still have it on their hard drive. And that they would be willing to share it with me. Any help would be great. Thank you.
I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone can share thE Carini Exchange GEDCOM file? Thanks.