Viglione

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Viglione

Post by jamiestew »

Ok My Great Great Grandmother Florence Vito was married 2 times. The first Marriage was to a NY Policemanthat was killed in the line of duty. I have no information on and I am trying to figure a few things out. I would like to figure out what his name was. They had two children together, which seem to disappear from all records once she married a second time and had to additional children with husband #2 Jim Vito. So this is what I know Florence Viglione was either her maiden name or the name of the police officer. She was born in 1882. So if she were married as early as 16 it would have been 1898 and as late as 1916 when her first child with husband #2 was born. So her children with Policeman were Louis and Antonette. I do know that Louis spent most of his life in and out of jail. Is there any way of looking at old jail census records?? I wuold like to investigate this and find out what happend to these kids
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Viglione

Post by ricbru »

I suggest you to check on

http://www.blacksheepancestors.com/

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Thats great..I had no idea that existed thanks!!!!
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Hi Jamiestew,

You might want to look at this as a possibility:

Viglione Filomena married Duffner Ernest on Aug 26 1934 in Queens Certificate #- 3519

I got that off: http://stevemorse.org/ This site has great recourses.

The following is from the 1920 Census on www.ancestry.com a pay site, does this look like it could be your Florance?

Filomena Viglione
Home in 1920: Queens Assembly District 4, Queens, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1914
Birthplace: New York
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's Name: Michael
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Name: Josephine
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 854
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Michael Viglione 44
Josephine Viglione 38
Mary Viglione 14
Tony Viglione 9
Egidio Viglione 8
Filomena Viglione 6
Guerino Viglione 5
Rosa Viglione 3 9/12
Julia Viglione 1/12

If it is could somebody link the image, I still can't do that! Hope it helps!

Mike :D
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

My Florence Vito was born in Italy in 1882 and lived in Oakland, ca. by 1920. I can find her mother Carmela Marriana Ditoro and her sister Angelina Valente in NY in 1920, but not her. I think that is when she was married to the policeman. So if I could find a 1920 census with her name on it that would show the policemans name.
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

Ok I will look to see what I can find.
MikeSavoca91
Staff
Staff

Post by MikeSavoca91 »

This is the 1920 Census, is this her?

Name: Florence Vito
Home in 1920: Oakland, Alameda, California
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Jim
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Female
Year of Immigration: 1901
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 492
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jim Vito 34
Florence Vito 38
Mary Vito 8
Lena Vito 1 11/12
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Yes that is her...the mystery lies in the years between her arrival and this census. She was in New york with her mother, sister and brother in law. I can find them on the 1910 census, but she is nowhere to be found. My Nonis tells me at the time she was married to this Policeman and had two children with him Louis and Antonette. She resurfaces in 1920 in Oakland, CA. again with sister,mother and brother in law. She was remarried after NY policeman was killed in the line of duty, and niether child is with her. I would love to find out what happend to Antonette and Louis. My Noni said louis was in and out of Jail his whole life. I would also like to figure out what he was in jail for. These are family mysteries that have been swept under the rug, and I would like to shake it out :)
filadelfiafile

Post by filadelfiafile »

jamiestew –

This topic has been inactive for awhile, so I hope you’re still following it. I just recently found your postings here and under the “Ditoraâ€
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Ohhh my goodness, ok I am so excited. It is very late here in California, so I have to read this post again in the morning. But I am still following the board and am looking forward to emailing you and hopefully somehow getting a chance to get a copy of that picture !!!!! The funny thing is...my husband of 20 yrs. is from Philly...we met in California when he came her after joining the navy...I will re read your post and write more tomorrow..Thank-you so very much.
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

Ohhh my goodness, ok I am so excited. It is very late here in California, so I have to read this post again in the morning. But I am still following the board and am looking forward to emailing you and hopefully somehow getting a chance to get a copy of that picture !!!!! The funny thing is...my husband of 20 yrs. is from Philly...we met in California when he came her after joining the navy...I will re read your post and write more tomorrow..Thank-you so very much.
jamiestew
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jamiestew »

hi John,
Ok so I re read your post there is alot of wonderful information to digest thank-you so very much. I am confused on a few things. I will try to explain my family side a little better for you. I also dabbel in building my family tree, and dont know alot about the propper way to do research, but it is really exciting for me. That being said her goes...

Carmell (Mamella) came here with Giuseppe from Italy to be with Angelina ( Carmellas sister) and Silvio. They lived in Schenectady. Florence is Mamellas daughter. Floreance was married to a NY policeman she had tow children Louis and Antenette. The policeman was killed, Florence(my GG grandma) then shows up in Oakland with Carmella, Giuseppe, Angelina, and Silvio married Jim Vito and had Marie Grace(my G Grandma)Vito and Carmelena Vito. Marie Grace Vito (my G. grandma) married Alfred Ciccone and they had Martha Eve Ciccone(my grandmother) and her brothers David, and Leo.

My Noni (Martha Eve or "Mickey" :D ) and her brothers David and Leo, are still living and close by. My Noni is 82 and although she is very sharp, I sometimes get confused when she gives me information. There is alot she doesnt remember. i asked her about Giuseppe, and she didnt know really who he was. If he moved back to NY in 1930 that would make sense why she didnt know him becasue she would have been only 4.

You can check out my famliy tree on http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/pedigree.aspx?tid=1340091

let me know if the link works. I very much look forward to hearing from you again. I will share the pictures of Florence and Mamella I have.
What part of Philly do you live in? My husbands family is from Upper Darby.