Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Abruzzi17

Naturalization

Post by Abruzzi17 »

I tried to get information out of my great aunt about my grandfather but it was difficult to say the least. My grandfather Michele (Michael) Bartoletti was born May 4th 1918 in Italy. My great aunt, Anna, was saying something about he became a citizen when he was 16 and she became one too when she was 14 but that doesn't make any sense. My great grandfather, Salvatore, naturalized in 1910-1912--before he married my great grandmother in Italy. He first came to America in 1907. He would have started the process immediately if that was his intention to have his children naturalized. However, I think his U.S. citizenship would have transfered to my grandfather and great aunt since he was naturalized. I know my grandfather and great aunt had Italian citizenship because they were born in Italy to an Italian citizen. The rest of my great uncles didn't have this issue since they were born in America. I was wondering if someone could help me find information regarding my grandfather Michele (Michael) Bartoletti's naturalization--if it even occurred.
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naturalization

Post by eyetalgal »

Just to clarify...

Are you asking about Michele Bartoletti (age 6) who enterered the U.S. on April 19, 1924..traveling with his father Salvatore(age 34), his mother Filomena Chiarelli (age 33) and his sister Anna (age 4). All from S. Nicola dell 'Alto. (leaving Salvatore's mother - Anna Lapolla - in S. Nicola) If so, they went to Salvatore's residence at 127 George Ave. Parsons, Pa. I would start with the naturalization records from Pennsylvania. The manifest for these people does not indicate any naturalization information. It also does not indicate that Salvatore was a non-immigrant - however, since he was returning to his home in PA, obviously he was not a new immigrant.

Footnote.com has a NARA naturalization petition record for Salvatore Bartoletti dated 9/16/1912...indicating year immigrated 1907. The petition was processed at the U.S. Circuit Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

Perhaps someone with a subscription to footnote would be kind enough to access this record for you and get more information.
Abruzzi17

Post by Abruzzi17 »

Yes, that is my grandfather with his family. That would be nice if anyone had a subscription seeing as how I don't have a credit card. If my great grandmother, grandfather or great aunt had naturalized, wouldn't their records such as petitions also show up there though?
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

There are a couple of other documents for Salvatore:.Declaration of Intention dated 8/11/1910, Oath dated 1/8/1912-date?

I didn't find any references to Michele, Anna, or Filomena...probably Filomena was part of his naturalization as his wife. It may be that the records are not on yet for the 1930's .... I don't know

you may want to scan the index yourself. http://www.footnote.com/
Abruzzi17

Post by Abruzzi17 »

As I have stated they were not married at the time of his naturalization. It even says his spouse is blank in every document. I'm not concerned with Salvatore. I need to find the papers for my great grandmother and my grandfather.
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

Sorry, the reason I focused on Salvatore was because if he was already a naturalized citizen when he married then perhaps his children were recognized as U.S. citizens when they were born, making it unneccesary for Michele and Anna to go thru the process.

I may be mistaken but I thought that was how it was and still is today.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Abruzzi,

There is a book "They Became Americans, Finding Naturalization Records and Ethic Origins" by Loretto Dennis Szucs. It has great descriptions of the various laws that ruled naturalizations.

Before 1922 a women obtained her citizenship status from her father or her husband after marriage. An American woman would lose her citizenship during this time if she married an alien. Children also became citizens if born to an American.

Record keeping was not like today. According to your post:
Salvatore entered the county in 1907. - Immigrant had to be in USA for 5 years before becoming a citizen. Many filled first papers and never completed the process.

Your Salvatore became a citizen in 1910-1912 according to your post.

Do you actually have any of Salvatore's naturalization papers?

Any children born after he became a citizen would have been born US citizens. BUT, if born in Italy, they and the mother might have entered the county appearing as citizens of Italy as that was the only paper documents they had at the time. Perhaps (just a guess), Michael and other children born in Italy, later "became citizens" as the aunt remembers as they had to go to court and prove their status. Show proof of Dad's status.

Debbie
Abruzzi17

Post by Abruzzi17 »

Salvatore was naturalized I have proof of that. I need to know where I can find out if my grandfather, Michele was naturalized. He is whom I would be able to claim citizenship through. Where can I find these records. Why would a record of Salvatore be on footnote and not a record of Michele? My great aunt is around 85, I can expect her to remember everything accurately.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Abruzzi:

You may be looking for a document that does not exist. From what you posted Michele was born to an American citizen. He would not have to naturalize as his father was already a citizen. You can check local, state and federal court records for the location the naturalization of Michele would have occurred. The book I listed above gives indepth examples of how to locate naturalization records. Since this event happened after 1906 the federal government would have a record of it. File a Freedom of Information Request with USCIS. If a record exists they should have it.

Do you have a copy of the birth record for Michele from Italy? It may have a note on it regarding his father's citizenship status.

Debbie