Trouble getting naturalization date

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dpalma4

Trouble getting naturalization date

Post by dpalma4 »

First, I thoroughly appreciate the help already provided on this site as I've read through numerous threads. My situation:

All my ancestors are from Italy, but based on the naturalization rule and 1948 rule for females, I may qualify only through my paternal GGF. I'll provide what I know through my research (my pat GM likely tossed all our vital records), and if someone can help, that would be great.

Pat. GGF: Michael (Michele) Palma (my hopeful link via Jus Sanguinis)
Born: Torremaggiore, Foggia, Italy; 10/10/1884
Immigrated through Ellis Island in 1909 (probably 4/18/1909)
Married: 1910-1911 in Chicago, Cook County, IL
US census 1920: Lists self as "na"
US census 1930: Lists self as "na"
Moved to Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY in 1920, where he resided until Death: Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY; 10/1/1963
He received his SSN in 1954-56

Pat GGM: Kathryn (Catherine) Gardella
Born: NYC, NY; 2/24/1885
Death: Bridgeport, CN; 3/8/1958

Pat GF: Alfred Palma (my next hopeful link)
Born: Chicago, Cook County, IL; 1/28/1914
Died: Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY; 11/14/1993

I've submitted requests through USCIS and NARA with no response yet, but eager to know whether Michael naturalized prior to Alfred's birth in 1914. I'm also working on obtaining Death Cerficate for Michael and Marriage Certificate for Pat great-grandparents from Chicago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Trouble getting naturalization date

Post by ricbru »

While you wait for a reply from NARA and USCIS try to contact local and federal court of the area where your ancestor used to live, you should find some papers there too
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

The US District Court of Connecticut, Bpt. office is:
915 Lafayette Blvd.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
203-579-5861

The local Superior Court in Bridgeport is:
Judicial District of Fairfield
1061 Main St.
Bridgeport, CT 06604
203-579-6527

Information on CT Naturalization records: http://www.cslib.org/natural.htm
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Is this Michele's record?
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006

I posted it because sometimes there is a notation on the manifest as to when the immigrant filed the declaration of intent. But this record has no notations. Have you checked the 1910 census?

I don't want to give you false hope, but it is unlikely he started the process immediately and got through it in 5 years. I'm not sure but I believe there was a residency requirement before you could ever declare. There are lots of people on this site who know a lot more about this topic. Someone will jump in.
dpalma4

Post by dpalma4 »

misbris, that is most definately Michele's passenger record! I checked the 1910 census, but couldn't find him anywhere.

Anybody else have strategies of tracking down the naturalization date (or year) while awaiting the requested forms through NARA and USCIS? If I know it was after 1/28/1914, I'll begin pursuing all the other necessary documents.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Here is the 1920 census.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/7760 ... suska6.jpg

It says he naturalized (NA) and the year is 1917.
If he hadn't naturalized it would read alien (AL)

Hope this helps.
dpalma4

Post by dpalma4 »

Yeah, BillieDeKid, I also looked at that 1920 census, too. Next to Michele, it says "na," but I couldn't quite make out that it said 1917. The last two numbers are hard to discern. My wife thought it said 1907, but that wouldn't make sense since he arrived in 1909. Any other eyes want to guess what it says? This would be much appreciated. I won't move forward full speed ahead with obtaining more records until convinced of my eligibility.

It's notable that the immigration year on the census is wrong. It should be 1909, not 1910. I wonder if he was hiding in someone's basement during the census of 1910, because the passenger records have him arriving 4/18/1909. Also interesting that 1930 census lists him as immigrating 1909, "na," but does not list year of naturalization.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Could be like my grandfather. Census info for him show's AL in 1910 census.....NA in 1920 census.......and AL in 1930 census. Turns out he joined US for WWI and declared intent to naturalize (which made it easier for him to get his family here) but never followed through with the naturalization process.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

1910 Census. Transcribed as Talma instead of Palma. Also shows he came to US in 1909 but census lists him as NA (which isn't possible unless he had been here before.....it took 5 or 7 years)

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/8277 ... susur9.jpg
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Note.....occupation listed on 1910 census and 1920 census is Painter.

The link images aren't very clear for some reason. I can email you the images if you'd like. Let me know.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi just sent the files to you so check your in box.

If anyone reading the thread has a subscription to ancestry, could you please look and see if Michael (Michele) Palma, Torremaggiore, Foggia, Italy; 10/10/1884
Immigrated through Ellis Island in 1909
Married: 1910-1911 in Chicago, Cook County, IL to Kathryn (Catherine) Gardella has a WWI draft registration.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

No luck so far locating either a WWI or a WWII draft card for Michele.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Thanks Biff. I was hoping he would have a WWI registration around 1915-1917.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

One more avenue to try is www.footnote.com and in the search if you put the surname Palma you can see which one's naturalized or petitioned.

There was info for Michel (no e at the end) Palma which I think might be close, look at the address when it comes up. Also try putting Michele Palma in the search and Michael etc. variations of the first name.

This is also a subscription site and I do not subscribe. Maybe another forum memeber can help out here.
dpalma4

Post by dpalma4 »

I have still been searching everywhere (mostly ancestry.com) for something that shows naturalization date for my GGF Michele (Michael). I think I've determined that he had 3 brothers Silvio, Domenico, and Anacleto that arrived in the US before he did. I found plenty of info on them, including passport applications and naturalization dates. I did also find a passenger list in 1948 indicating Michael had a passport by then. So, a few more questions:

1. Why can't I locate a WWI draft registration card? Was he trying to dodge the draft or were there any exemptions from registering?

2. If the passenger record shows he arrived in 1909, why can't I find him in the 1910 census? Is it likely they misspelled his name as Michele Talmo (also an artist, immigrated in 1909 from Italy, living in Chicago), as suggested above?

3. If Michael arrived in March 1909 as the passenger record shows, then married an Italian-American in 1910-1911(?), could he have had expedited naturalization before my GF's birth in Jan 1914?

4. Finally, does anyone have a clear copy of the 1920 census where Michael is listed as "na" but the date next to it is fuzzy?

As soon as we're confident that we're eligible, my father and I will plunge full speed ahead to obtaining the necessary documents. Until then, we wait in limbo.

Thanks to all...