Greeting on photograph

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Greeting on photograph

Post by Scarlett227 »

Hello,

We have some family photographs with the term "Cara patina..." on them as a greeting. (I'm not sure if the first letter is a p, but it's my best guess).

Can anyone tell us what it means?
Searching for: Mastronardi (Pietrelcina), D'Auria (Ariano), Ciaccio (Santa Margherita di Belice) and Prizzi (Menfi).
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Greeting on photograph

Post by liviomoreno »

If you post the photographs, we may help...
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

OK! They are at my mom's house so I'll need to get them next weekend. If I scan them into the computer, how best to post them here so you can see them?

Thank you so much! We tried using babelfish, but I think we are not identifying some of the letters of the writer correctly.
Searching for: Mastronardi (Pietrelcina), D'Auria (Ariano), Ciaccio (Santa Margherita di Belice) and Prizzi (Menfi).
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Scarlett227 wrote:OK! They are at my mom's house so I'll need to get them next weekend. If I scan them into the computer, how best to post them here so you can see them?

Thank you so much! We tried using babelfish, but I think we are not identifying some of the letters of the writer correctly.
You may upload them to imageshck (or similar) and provide the link in the post.
This link http://e-lore.com/wiki/Using_Imageshack gives you instructions on imageshack
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Cara Patina
(Dear Godmother)

This is how the child I was Godmother to begins her letters to me.

The mother of the child refers to me as 'Comare'

So it seems that it was either the Godmother writing to the child. Or the child (who could perhaps be an adult now) writing to her Godmother.

This could be a dialect, but not sure about that?!
Emmy
Julo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Julo »

Patina could be mispelled. I have a hunch it could be, like Emmy writes, the sicilian dialect word for Godmother but it is spelled PARRINA. And it would be the child writing to the godmother not the opposite.
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

It's very likely it could be godmother. The niece lived in Pietrelcina/Naples, Italy (but not Sicily) and was writing to her aunt, possible godmother, who lived in the U.S. One of the words we did translate looked like finace, so I'm guessing the niece sent photos of her fiance and later husband?

I'll get those photos Sunday and scan in the backs for you all to take a look. I'm just learning about the handwriting from the Nelson book, though these photos are circa 1940s-1960s and it's a little more modern than what would be on the vital records. :)
Scarlett227
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Scarlett227 »

I apologize for posting this twice. I put it under the wrong topic and wasn't sure how to delete it from there.

Here are the links for 6 photos which have Italian greetings written on the back. Any translation help is most appreciated! Thanks, Debby

P.S. Email is fine too if you would prefer to contact me directly.

img206.imageshack.us/i...ht2cc1.jpg

img362.imageshack.us/i...dlezw3.jpg

img206.imageshack.us/i...eftpe1.jpg

img206.imageshack.us/i...ht2cc1.jpg

img206.imageshack.us/i...dlebk3.jpg

img254.imageshack.us/i...eftll8.jpg