Deciphering & Translation Assistance of Atti di Matrimon

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
searchingfamilyhistory

Deciphering & Translation Assistance of Atti di Matrimon

Post by searchingfamilyhistory »

Hello: I need help in deciphering and translating some of the words on the attached Atti di Matrimonio from 1875. Since I cannot seem to be able to add an attachment, I have placed a link to the document http://picasaweb.google.com/searchingfa ... 5407128130

(for Mori Eugenio) nato in ___________________, residente in ___________, figlio di Stefano, possidente, residente in __________________.

I cannot decipher the Italian script in the spaces I have left underlined, the rest I can handle. Since I cannot decipher them, I cannot translate them. :D

I also have a copy of a Certificate of Marriage that was issued by the Commune of Felino in 1951, which is an extract, and it states that Eugenio Mori was born in Poviglio. However that is not what the script on the Atti looks like to me.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Searching names: Mori, Soncini, (Poviglio, Italy) Faggiani (Moncalvo Italy) Also Hermann (Bleismengen Germany) Faggani (England), Rochford/Rocheforte (England & Ireland), Barataud (France)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Deciphering & Translation Assistance of Atti di Matr

Post by VaDeb »

HI Searching,

Old Italian Script can take a little while to get used to reading. Why don't you post a copy of the record you are trying to read and someone should be able to help you.

Debbie
searchingfamilyhistory

VaDeb wrote:HI Searching,

Old Italian Script can take a little while to get used to reading. Why don't you post a copy of the record you are trying to read and someone should be able to help you.

Debbie
Hi Debbie:

I thought I DID upload the file as an attachment. I've followed the FAQ directions twice in attempting to edit my original post and add an attachment, but it does not seem to show up. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
Searching names: Mori, Soncini, (Poviglio, Italy) Faggiani (Moncalvo Italy) Also Hermann (Bleismengen Germany) Faggani (England), Rochford/Rocheforte (England & Ireland), Barataud (France)
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

the writing appears to be Eurela but I couldn't find a listing for that town/village. At the top of the act, it does state that it is the town of Felino which is in Emilia Romana. The second space that you marked is the same town name with stessa.....meaning the same town of ___. The "EU" seems pretty clear it's that 3rd letter ..........
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

By increasing to 200% it certainly seems to say:

EUZELA/SICILIA/

But I can find no trace of such a place. It might be a frazione or a contrada, but it doesn't seem to be a village or hamlet...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Elba,
What is a contrada?
searchingfamilyhistory

elba wrote:By increasing to 200% it certainly seems to say:

EUZELA/SICILIA/

But I can find no trace of such a place. It might be a frazione or a contrada, but it doesn't seem to be a village or hamlet...
I also have an extract from Felino of their marriage that was made in 1951. It shows a birth place for Eugenio as Poviglio, which is as far as I know the Mori family home. This is why I did not understand the Atti di Matrimonio.

The extract photo is at http://picasaweb.google.com/searchingfa ... 4543531618

I have reached the bottom of the Atti and the odd name in the top part makes even less sense (also given the 1951 extract) because of the mention of Poviglio in the bottom half of the Atti. (It was a copy from a very large book and would not scan in one go.)

The bottom half of the Atti di Matrimonio is at http://picasaweb.google.com/searchingfa ... 1176931922
(Boy it would be easier if I could figure out how to add an attachment!) :-)

Thanks for all the help everyone
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Sirena wrote:Elba,
What is a contrada?
Well, in a nutshell, it's basically a town district, rather like a suburb. Used more in past times than in modern day Italy, but used occasionally in older documents.

Perhaps the most famous contrade (pl) are those of Siena which the world sees when the Palio horse race around the Campo is run twice a year (Jul/Aug), and the displays of Contrade flag tossing takes place followed by the horse race around the suare in Siena...

In this Palio (July 2007) the horse from the 'Oca' (goose) Contrada won. The cobblestones are just covered with sand and the riders do NOT have saddles!
There are 17 contrade - all with unusual names.
>Palio<

In the lead up to the Palio the contrade march their flag throwers around the city.
>Flag throwers (sbanditori)<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
searchingfamilyhistory

elba wrote:By increasing to 200% it certainly seems to say:

EUZELA/SICILIA/

I FOUND IT!!! Your "Euzela" gave me a clue and I typed in "Enzola" and bingo, I found this at the Comune di Poviglio site.

"Le Frazioni del Comune Le frazioni di Poviglio sono 5: Casalpo', Enzola, Fodico, Godezza e San Sisto. "

Thanks All!