looking for my great grandfathers passenger list

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

looking for my great grandfathers passenger list

Post by justinfrombklyn »

im looking for antonio urgola or urgolo he sailed from naples italy aug 1905 and arrived in new york in sept 3 1905 sailing on the morch ship

i got the info from his petition

can someone find him thank you
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: looking for my great grandfathers passenger list

Post by lilbees »

Do you have an approximate birth date? Who he may be traveling with like family, etc., wife? Was it the port of New York or Boston?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

yes his birthday was june 1 1881 born in naples and no he did not come over with any one else
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

any luck
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I was able to find his WW1 Draft Registration Cards but so far no manifest...still looking. Meanwhile, heres his card info. I can post the image if you need it.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Antonio Urgola
Name: Antonio Urgola
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birth Date: 1 Jun 1881
Race: White
Roll: 1765593
DraftBoard: 90
Italian Surname Database
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Have you searched the Ellis Island site for a passenger list. On Ancestry I found several Antonio Urgolas but none came close to your arrival date.

Go to http://ellisislandrecords.org/

This is a free site but you do need to register. You can also go to Steve Morris's website.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html

Ancestry is a paying webiste but you can sign up for a 14 day trial subscription. If you like it you can continue as a paying subscriber.

http://www.ancestry.com/

lilbees
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

libees where did u find antonio urgolas in ellis island i cant find no one
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi!

Don't know if this can be helpful but this is the short story of the "Gregory Morch" Ship....
On Ancestry there is no arrival in all September 1905 about this ship....

From the site:
http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/ ... /shipm.htm

MUNCHEN
The "Munchen" of 1891 was built in 1889 by the Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 4,536 gross ton ship, length 390.5ft x beam 46.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 38-1st, 20-2nd and 1,763-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23/1/1889, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Montevideo and Buenos Aires on 11/3/1889. On 5/6/1889 she commenced her first Bremen - Baltimore voyage and on 25/9/1890 started her first Bremen - New York - Baltimore crossing. She commenced her sixth and last Bremen - South America voyage on 10/11/1892 and her nineteenth and last North Atlantic crossing on 24/3/1900 when she sailed from Bremen for Baltimore and New York. On 23/5/1900 she started a single round voyage from Bremen to the Suez Canal and Australia and on 3/2/1902 went aground on Yap Caroline Islands, was refloated and was sold to the Northern SS Co of Russia, who renamed her "Gregory Morch". She made two round voyages from Odessa to Piraeus and New York starting 27/10/1906 and 18/1/1907 and was scrapped in 1910. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.553-4] - [Posted to The ShipdList by Ted Finch - 4 March 1998]

The steamship MUNCHEN was built by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Glasgow (ship no. 337), for Norddeutscher Lloyd, and launched on 23 January 1889. 4,803 tons. 119,1 x 14,23 meters/391 x 47 feet (length x breadth); straight bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts; steel construction, screw propulsion (triple-expansion engine, 2,600 to 3,000 horsepower), service speed 13 knots; accommodation for 38 passengers in 1st class, 20 in 2nd class, and 1,763 in steerage; crew of 100. 11 March 1889, maiden voyage, Bremen-Montevideo-Buenos Aires (to 10 November 1892, 6 roundtrip voyages, Bremen-South America). 5 June 1889, first voyage, Bremen-Baltimore. 25 September 1890, first voyage, Bremen-New York-Baltimore. 24 March 1900, last voyage, Bremen-New York-Baltimore (19 roundtrip voyages on the North Atlantic). 23 May 1900, Bremen-Suez Canal-Sydney (arrived 18 July). 25 July 1900, sailed for Queensland ports-German New Guinea-the Carolines-Hong Kong. 3 February 1901, on third voyage, stranded on Yap, Caroline Islands; refloated by Hong Kong Inspector Capt. W. Meissel, and arrived at Hong Kong 28 June 1901. September 1901, repaired by and registered for S. C. Farnham, Boyd & Co, Shanghai. 1905, registered to H. Robertson, then to Northern Steamship Co, Odessa (Paul Morch, manager); renamed GREGORY MORCH. 27 October 1906-18 January 1907, 2 roundtrip voyages, Odessa-Piraeus-New York. 1910, sold to T. W. Ward, Sheffield, for Scrapping; reverted to name MUNCHEN for delivery voyage; scrapped by Schell, at Morecambe, Lancashire [Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails (2 vols.; Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994-c1995), vol. 1, p. 126, no. 72 (photograph); Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), pp. 553-554]. - [Posted to the Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael Palmer - 4 March 1998]

:?

Laura
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Just to put my 2 cents in. I learned from one of my grandparents naturalization papers that what they write in them is not always accurate. It is stated he arrived in the US in August 1905 but in reality, when I researched, I found him but not arriving in August 1905 but May 1905. The only thing that was correct was the year and the ship.

This was a man who had difficulty remembering the birth date of his wife let alone actual dates of anything else. I did not confirm anything until I had sent for his "C-file" that I learned the truth. Including the fact he took his father's first name as his surname.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

o wow.. i did not know that.. whats a c-file? how can i get one
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

justinfrombklyn, if you read through the first link it is an explanation of the records.

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... detail.htm

This link gives you access to the G-639 form you fill out to obtain the information you are requesting.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... f3d6a1RCRD

lilbees
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

not exactly sure about what that file means but any ways i think i found something on him can some one translate this i posted a link to the page with both sides.. line 1 antonio urgolo can someone translate where he came from and who he left back home and who he was going to stay with

thanks
justin

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... =image.jpg
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... mage-1.jpg
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Ancestry.com Transcription:

Name: Antonio Urgolo
Arrival Date: 24 Jun 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Tomaso di Savoia
Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: T715 Microfilm Roll: T715_1506
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: condalo
Page Number: 44

Ellis Island Transcription:
- wife Celesta
Best guess on town:
Conca Casale, Isernia, Molise

First Name: Antonio
Last Name: Argolo
Ethnicity:
Last Place of Residence: Conga C., Italy
Date of Arrival: Jun 24, 1910
Age at Arrival: 24y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Tomaso di Savoia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0001
page 1
page 2
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

thanks vj but thats not him heres his petition this should tell you everything about him that can help someone find him

thanks

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b293/ ... on1920.jpg
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Justin and Valarie,

I think the place could be Conca della Campania (Caserta Province, Campania Region) , leaving in Conca C. his wife Celeste and joining a cousin last name Simeone.
However I saw There are Urgolo in Conca della Campania...
http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/cognom ... pania.html

Laura