Bongiovi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lisatx

Bongiovi

Post by lisatx »

I am looking for information on my grandparents family. They came over from Sciacca, Sicily in 1905 and 1906. My Great Grandfather's name was Guiseppe Bongiovi. He came over in 1905. My Great Grandmother, Maria Ciapissi (the spelling may be off), came over with my grandfather, Calogero, age 11, and his brother's and sister in 1906. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I would love to correspond with relatives that may either still be over there or have come to the US.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Bongiovi

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi lisatx and welcome to the forum.

For reference 1906 manifest of Calagero, 4 brothers and mother Maria Chiappisi. They are all crossed off the manifest. There is also a Vincenza Bongiovi (1st name on manifest) going to her husband Giuseppe Pollara who lives at the same address Giuseppe Bongiovi. Possible that Vincenza is Giuseppe's sister? This manifest also lists Maria Chiappisi as being in USA before from 1900-1905 and lists Vincenza as being in USA before from 1900-1903.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008

1905 manifest for Giuseppe and 14 year old daughter going to his brother Giacomo Bongiovi at the same address listed on the 1906 manifest. States that he was in the USA before from 1894-1904

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021
lisatx

Post by lisatx »

We have the immigration papers that has this information. I am trying to find out who may still be in Sicily. I would also like to find out if the person on the manifest that came over with my Great Grandfather, Giuseppe, was a family member. My mother does not recognize this name in the family. The name is Leonarda, it appears that they put the age as 14-15.
lisatx

Post by lisatx »

I apologize, I forgot to say Thank You to BillieDeKid and Elizabeth. I appreciate your help. I did not even realize that it had the addresses on the manifest that they were going to. I spoke to my mom, she said that it IS possible that Vicenza was my Great Grandfather's sister being that they lived so close. It appears also on the manifest in looking at it a bit closer that the Leonarda was actually my mom's uncle Leonard, they corrected it over in the address part under who he was traveling with. :) I would just love to find some of the long lost family to find out what they knew of my Great Grandparents, such as what their personalities were like, why they chose to come to the states, etc.
MaryIacobucci

Post by MaryIacobucci »

Hi: I just went over to Ellis Island site and found a Guiseppe Bongiovi from Sciacca who arrived at Ellis Island, NY on August 17, 1896. He was 30 years old, traveled alone on the ship: Neustria out of Naples. His manifest # is 0084.

Hope this is a help.

Mary
lisatx

Post by lisatx »

That would make sense. I will have to take a look at that, Thanks so much!!!!
kelombardo

Post by kelombardo »

We have an Anna Bongiovi from Sciacca (married to Salvaore Crapanano) who arrived February 6, 1907...just wondering if there could be a connection here?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lisatx there are 33,300 references to Sciacca Italy at (Sciacca Sicily Italy in title) www.google.com which may assist you in knowing about the beautiful by the sea town in Agrigento province. www.comune.sciacca.ag.it is a touristy website.

Go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Sciacca on top and click CERCA, when Sciacca comes up click on the name and website about the town will come up. Scroll down and to write to Sciacca for documents and records use the address under Municipio to sending the form letters in Italian when you know their names and year of birth or approximate year of birth.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

=Peter=
~Peter~