Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I found the following letter to my great-grandfather from his uncle. Inside the letter was a newspaper clipping, which I also included, regarding the murder of his uncle.
I would really appreciate help translating this letter.
Thank you much, as always, for your time and assistance.
Dear nephew,
I answer your (letter) with a mountain of joy and I love you my dear and Iam content to hear that everyone is enjoying good health in the whole family as indeed does Italy.
So with this you can all be cheerful that I am really well and I am working in the mine, it's true I only do two or three days a week .
Well then dear nephew I believe that by this time you will have received the letter with the address 1122, and if you reply I urge you not to make mention any of the things which I wrote to you about before, just that I sent my regards, and no more I urge you when replying to the same address 1122. If you want to reply to me write to 1105, and in that letter talk to me about all the wishes you have in your heart. Also it will make me very happy that you let me know if you write to 1122, and don't forget about how well you can accomplish that. To end I should like to send my most sincere regards with love to the entire family together with those of New York and Italy, once again regards for you
Your affectionate uncle
Giovanni Napoli
and mine write that they(?)exchange wishes with you
The typical Italian lineage dates from circa 1600, and for most of us that's reasonably profound. But who wants to be "typical" when you might be able to trace a lineage into the 1500s or even into the Middle Ages? Because success in this field requires practice and perseverance, as well as skills m...