Ricciotti/Santangelo/Giannantonia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Ricciotti/Santangelo/Giannantonia

Post by tonyric »

I have the Ricciotti side of my family (Paternal line) traced back to Sulmona (I have not gone further yet), but am having a problem finding the other names..... Let me explain:

My GGF Frank Ricciotti (Parents Angelo and Anna Arrichetti) and GGM Domenica Santangelo (Parents Bernardino Santangelo and Cesidia Giannantonia) were married in Boston, MA, USA. I cannot find any immigration records on Domenica or her parents but all paperwork states she was born in Italy. No paperwork lists the commune of birth.

Anyone with any ties to the family, please contact me.

If you have thoughts on how to search for this lost branch of my family, please let me know as well.

Thanks
Tony Ricciotti
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Ricciotti/Santangelo/Giannantonia

Post by PeterTimber »

Did Domenica come to the uSA thru NYC or Boston? ...and when did she die? =Peter=
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

How and where she came into the US is unknown. I have searched all of the records on Ancestry.com and have only found one domenica but the birth date and parents names do not match.

She died on Feb 14, 1928 and have her death record and marriage record to my GGF.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

what state did she die in? =peter=
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Married and died in MA, I have her death record... Again, unfortunately, just Italy is listed for anything on the death record or marriage record.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Tony,

Do you have any info about when she came to the US, or how old she was, or where she first settled, or names of siblings? Did her parents immigrate also? If so, post it here and we will help you search. :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I suggest that you call the Boston office of NARA (USA national archives at 781-663-0139 and ask for a check of their passenger index (If you can find a friendly clerk to do it while you wait or call back that will be great) for Domenica Santangelo. They can search their indexes for entries from 1848 to 1891 and 1902 to 1920. This office is in Waltham Massachusetts.

Further if you have access to Ancestry.com then you can check for their BOSTON Steamship arrivals 1890 to 1930 (Titled Boston, NY, Philadelphia, and Baltimore Steamship arrivals 1890 to 1930) which uses the Morton Allan Directory of European Passenger Steamship arrivals at NYC.

This is what I think are your best next steps to take. =Peter=
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Just for reference:
possible 1920 census
page 2
Domenica b abt 1890, immig abt 1910
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Peter, thanks for the number for NARA, I will give them a call tomorrow when they are open.

The information I have received so far is from ancestry.com and am currently holding my complete family tree there. :)

EDIT to add:
NOTE: I have placed a page on my website for this so I get hits in google and other search engines. The page is at: http://www.ournuthut.net/?p=36
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

vj wrote:Just for reference:
possible 1920 census
page 2
Domenica b abt 1890, immig abt 1910
Yup, that is her.... That is the only census entry for her since she apparently arrived after the 1910 census data was taken and died in 1928.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Good news about your access to Ancestry.com. This should solve your problem either thru NARA or Ancestry.com. Please let me know how you make out? =Peter=
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Definitely, I have been banging my head for the past 4 days over this. I have so much information (fact and dispelled rumor) and have made so much progress in the past month. Then I hit this wall. I will break through it, I hope it is sooner rather than later. :)

Thank you Peter for your assistance I will most definitely keep the thread updated.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

misbris wrote:Tony,

Do you have any info about when she came to the US, or how old she was, or where she first settled, or names of siblings? Did her parents immigrate also? If so, post it here and we will help you search. :D
Unfortunately, the only information that I currently have is:

She immigrated in 1910 (per census data)
She was married to my GGF on Feb 1, 1911 per marriage certificate
She died on Feb 14, 1928
She was born in 1889 (conflict on exact date but my GF (her eldest Son born in 1914) address book lists her as June 13 the conflict date is Aug 13 but is an unlikely date) someplace unknown in Italy.
Her parents names were: Father Bernardino Santangelo Mother Cesidia Giannantonia per her marriage and death certificates.
She, nor her parents can be found in any immigration database on Ancestry.com or ellisisland.org.

As Peter suggested, I will call NARA tomorrow and see if they can find anything. :)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I don't know if you have seen these, but here are a few interesting manifests. They might provide some clues since the names are so close.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0022
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

Berardino Santangelo has potential as a family member, I will have to check further into him.

The Cesidia you found with the similar last name cannot be her or her mother. But again a potential relative (sister in law?) as she arrived in 1914, which is 3 years after the marriage to my GGF and just a couple months before my grandfather was born.