Vincelli - Cleto, Charles, Biaggio or Giovanni

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jackiet

Vincelli - Cleto, Charles, Biaggio or Giovanni

Post by Jackiet »

My great grandfather who went by the name of Charles Vincelli b. abt 1882 married Mary Anna Longuet in St Pancras London on 14/4/1903.
His father is named as Giovanni Vincelli (deceased) a cabinet maker. By age & job association I believe him to be Cleto Vincelli found in the 1901 English census he boarded with a Dameniro Graccarinoa b. abt 1875 confectioner (own account) in Carnaby Street. Prino & Annie Lesbini owned the Confectioners. There is also a Biaggio Vincelli b.abt 1883 on the 1901 census but not at same address (possibly brothers?). No prior records for either. Facts & family stories state Charles had 5 children between 1903 & 1912 he then returned to Italy to do military service as he didn't wish to be classed as a deserter. After the war he returned to the UK but his wife was living with someone else. He moved into property nearby in Somers Town & lived there. I can find no record of death so don't know if he returned to Italy or moved on. These are all the facts I have at my disposal any idea's of how I go about finding out any more about my Italian ancestors?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Vincelli - Cleto, Charles, Biaggio or Giovanni

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear jackiet. In Italy most records are housed in the city, town or village/hamlet of origin where all birth,marriage and deaths are archived. Do you have that information? =Peter=
Jackiet

Post by Jackiet »

Hi Peter thanks for checking out my post. But no sorry, really all I have is what I've posted. I've seen that direct Vincelli descendants were trying to find more in 1990 so appears they had no more to go on than me. I wondered if I could trace where he came from with military or emigration/immigration but nothing in our National Archives. All I've got is the Census & marriage cert that cover the known time in England.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you check out www.findmypast.com? it is a paying site but free for name checks and if it looks priomising maybe worthwhile for a one time use charge? =peter=
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Jackiet,

Have you contacted the other Vincelli relatives to see what info they have?
It might save you a lot of time and hassle.

According to the telephone directory, there are still a lot of Vincelli listed in the Greater London area, mostly in Middlesex.

With regard to the Vincelli in Italy, the name occurs in the greatest numbers in the region of Molise, in and around the regional capital Campobasso (61 listings) and also in the region of Piemonte in N Italy (31 listings) The name also occurs in small numbers in other regions.

But I would contact a London Vincelli to see if tghey can tell you anything.

Hope this helps.

Seraphina
England
Jackiet

Post by Jackiet »

Hi Peter & Seraphina, thanks for the advise. I'll give it a go. I'm using Ancestry at the moment thought all the sites tend to have the same information. Phoning Vincelli's in London when I'm not sure who's who is a bit daunting but might be an avenue to explore. My mother lost contact with her uncles while she was still a child & was only able to recall names of 2 of them when I was digging for info. I'll let you know if I manage to find anything further I can use. Strange really as my Nan was so proud of having Italian blood but had no photo's of her father Charles Vincelli. Jackie
sivin

Post by sivin »

Hi Jackiet

I know it has been sometime since your last post on this forum but I have only just come across some family history in relation to my name and came across you posts on the internet. According to some of the information you have provided on this forum and th einformation I have from a family tree I have been given, we may be related!

Please contact to discuss this further if you are still interested. I belive we may have the same grea grandfather?!

Simon
Jackiet

Post by Jackiet »

Hi Simon
You don't know how pleased I am to hear you say that we might be related as I've been searching like mad, to no avail. My personal email is JDTmail@uwclub.net if you'd like to contact me direct. As you haven't posted any details I can't confirm if this is true but there aren't/weren't many Vincelli's in the UK in the early 1900's as most ended up in America so I'm keeping my fingers crossed & looking forward to hearing from you.
Jackie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website www.freebmd.org.uk has a marriage reference to Charles Vincelli in San Pancras, London in early 1900's. =Peter=
~Peter~
Jackiet

Post by Jackiet »

Thanks Peter I have this marriage certificate which is how I know the details mentioned in my August 23rd post. I just haven't managed to progress with this information. Appreciate your input though. :)