Genealogy Software - Languages other than English

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Genealogy Software - Languages other than English

Post by BethW »

I currently use Family Tree Maker 2005 which, as far as I can tell, only uses English. I'm currently working with a cousin in Italy to try to flesh out the more recent generations of our family tree. However, he is not particularly comfortable reading English. Do later incarnations of Family Tree Maker allow for language choices other than English? Or is there a good piece of software that he can use at his end that can read files created by FTM at my end? It frustrates me that I can create reports that only half the family can read.

Thanks,
Beth
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Genealogy Software - Languages other than English

Post by lilbees »

I have FTM 2008 and have not found any language choices.

I do know that Legacy has multiple language choices. You can get that free online for the "Standard" Legacy. It is a quite detailed program if you want to use all the features but it can be as simple as you want to make it.

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/

Another program you can try is My Hertigae. It is another multi-language program. Also free on the web. I like their reports and charts so actually I go between FTM 2008, Legacy and MyHeritage for different charts and reports. Some of the programs do a better job that others. Although I use FTM 2008 primarily as my database. It works for me.

http://www.myheritage.com/

There may be others out there for you to try.

lilbees
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I used to go between two programs for the same reason..I like different features in the programs but I stopped for a bit when I got the new PC. I think I am going to take your advice lilbees and download the others. I hear Legacy is supposed to have great charts and I like the multi language function. Makes it easier for me to send information to my family in Italy. Thanks :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

Thanks Libees.

I don't mind going between progams, so I'll give both Legacy and My Heritage a try. Are there any features, reports, etc. of either that you particularly like?

Beth
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I think each report has its own merits depending on what a person is looking for. The pedigree is always useful, and I use FTM's all in one tree to print up the whole file (which took up a whole wall the last time I printed it so I will think twice about doing that anytime soon..lol).

The one I use the most are the family Group sheet and the genealogy report. I love charts and files so I think most are great. I also love the fact I can add a favourite background image to a report and create "books". Once you play around with it for a bit you will see what you like too. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database