Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
In looking at some church records I have found metion of a priest with the same name of a family I am researching. The records below show the Rev. Girolamo Di Miceli. Can someone help me understand the other information contained such as "ex licentia" and "philosaphia magister"?
Also, does anyone know where I might be able to find recorrds relating to priests in the Archdiocese of Palermo?
1) Il Reverendo Girolamo Di Miceli maestro di filosofia su licenza del Reverendo Parroco battezzò un bambino oggi nato...
The reverend Girolamo Di Miceli, master of philosophy, with the permission of the reverend parish priest, christened an infant that was born today...
2) Nell'anno del Signore 1800 il giorno 4 di Settembre il Reverendo Girolamo Di Miceli maestro di filosofia su licenza...
In the year of the Lord 1800, September 4th, the reverend Girolamo Di Miceli, master of philosophy, with the permission of...
Hi Peter - I saw the website before and thanks for the email address. I'll try that.
Ciao Luca, grazie per la traduzione e la spiegazione. Non ti preoccupi per scrivere in italiano, capisco un poco ed ho un amico che mi aiuta a tradurre.
About the definition "philosophiae magister" - maestro di filosofia - I think could mean that, other than a priest, he was also a teacher (but i'm not sure 100%).
Thanks for the additional explanation. There are many men in the records who baptized children with "ex licentia" after their name. Is it possible that people who were not priest could perform baptism?
No, it isn't possible.
The "licentia" refers to the fact that the only one enabled to give the baptism was the Parish Priest. If another priest would give the baptism to someone he knew, he had to ask for a permission to the parish priest.
Which conditions may have an effect - positive or negative - on your Italian family history project. The following insights, based on many years of experience in Italy, pertain to factors that have very little to do with Italian genealogy per se, but involve vast cultural differences that influence ...