Paying for documents
Paying for documents
What is the best way to send Euros for research or copying?
I see the letters say "Tell me how much and I will send it" but doesn't that double the time required i.e. back and forth twice?
I have corresponded with an organization that has a PayPal account but I would think that is rather rare for churches or the government.
I see the letters say "Tell me how much and I will send it" but doesn't that double the time required i.e. back and forth twice?
I have corresponded with an organization that has a PayPal account but I would think that is rather rare for churches or the government.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Paying for documents
Why not call your nearest American Express office that issues travelers cheques and ask them if they can assist you in this matter. =Peter=
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Paying for documents
Cashing cheques, or bank drafts in Italy is not easy and the small amounts for documents makes it even more difficult for the town offices as they then have to figure out how to send the change.
I would buy some euros (5's or 10's) and send cash, suggesting that they have a coffee on you with any money left over.
I have sent cash within Italy and even received two cents in coin in return with the certificate.
I would buy some euros (5's or 10's) and send cash, suggesting that they have a coffee on you with any money left over.
I have sent cash within Italy and even received two cents in coin in return with the certificate.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Paying for documents
This is excellent advice. Many Comunes actually state that they do NOT accept cheques of credit card payments and many don't know how to (or will not) deal with International Postal Vouchers.Italysearcher wrote:Cashing cheques, or bank drafts in Italy is not easy and the small amounts for documents makes it even more difficult for the town offices as they then have to figure out how to send the change.
I would buy some euros (5's or 10's) and send cash, suggesting that they have a coffee on you with any money left over.
I have sent cash within Italy and even received two cents in coin in return with the certificate.
Usually the sums involved are quite small and so do not create a 'theft' problem. So I would do as suggested here - it's a lot less hassle and a faster 'turn around'!
And making clear that you don't want any 'change' will be appreciated too!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Paying for documents
I too agree in ending cash. Its convenient and need not be more than $5.00-$10 US$. I have never had any money lost. In fact they sometimes return the money entirely. The clerks who do the researching as an end of day duty are poorly paid so a "tip" is in order. The Mormon church people suggest this practice. =Peter=
Re: Paying for documents
I just sent US dollars for some records. I found it was such a hassle to find some bank, etc., to do an Internaltional Bank draft or whatever. I don't know if that will be successful or not. I would not think they would have a problem with that. If I am wrong, let me know. Purchasing Euros may be the more correct way.
lilbees
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Re: Paying for documents
I suggest you to let someone call from Italy that civil record office for you, in order to understand if US dollars and IRC are accepted, and if there is any expense to afford.
Some italian civil record office send to US italian civil record for no costs
Regards
Riccardo
Some italian civil record office send to US italian civil record for no costs
Regards
Riccardo
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Paying for documents
Dear Ricbru even the Mormon chruch recommends that despite the fact that Stato Civile services are free to still send $5.00 (more now since 1 Euro is now $1.50US) and that church donations start at US$15.00 (more now as well). As you know the clerks who research the records are poorly paid and take care of walk ins during the day and only research at the end of the day for written requests. It is another way of saying "Thank You". =Peter=
Re: Paying for documents
Yes , I agree with you, for sure it is a way to say "Thank you".
I was just saying that if you have someone who can call for you to civil record office, you know for sure how much you really need to send to the registrar.
Sometimes sending dollars, these are never changed in the bank because the transaction fees is higher than the 5 dollars you sent
I hope I was clear
Riccardo
I was just saying that if you have someone who can call for you to civil record office, you know for sure how much you really need to send to the registrar.
Sometimes sending dollars, these are never changed in the bank because the transaction fees is higher than the 5 dollars you sent
I hope I was clear
Riccardo
Re: Paying for documents
Sorry, I didn't explain. My bill in euros was 6.33, I sent US $15.00 thinking this would cover any exchange cost plus extra for the clerk.
I guess I was wrong.
lilbees
I guess I was wrong.
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Re: Paying for documents
Thank you all. This was very informative. I do have some Euros left from a trip to Italy last year and can use them here.
Grazie per vostra aiuto!!
Bob
Grazie per vostra aiuto!!
Bob

