Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
....Officer of the Civil Status in the Commune of Marcianise, before me is Savastano Giuseppe, peasant, twenty years, who declared that at 11,20 of the second day of this month in a house located in Via Atella (?), 14
From his union with a woman not married, not to him related so that nothing imped the recognition
a baby female was born
he presents her to me and is given the name Carmela.
The translation is not excellent but I hope good enough. I think the commune is Marcianise although it's not very clear.
Thank you so much, Ada! This is what I suspected, and though I am a little disappointed that the mother was not named, I am so happy to have the information confirmed. You have really solved a puzzle for me. Thanks again. Sheila
My mom and dad came from two very different classes of Italian society. Dad's mom came from a very aristocrat family and mom's came from farmers and agricultural workers. When my mom's parents came to the US, they left their oldest son Giovanni in the care of my maternal grandmother's parents. I hea...