Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

and a car pulled up to the curb by him and two guys grabbed him and drove off...The family was told not to try and find him or they would be killed
Not to far fetched!! I traced some family relation of my own to both Colorado and New Mexico that tied into the Chicago mob, not sure what was so lucrative about those areas....and anyone in my family who could shed some light on it is dead.......but there was a mafia presence out there.

wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by PeterTimber »

OH MY!!=Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

It's some of those darn skeletons in my family closet Peter....
I keep trying to shove them back in there but they keep
falling out!!!!! :P
Lee
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
mgonzales
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Albuqerque, New Mexico USA

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by mgonzales »

So what do you guys think? am I outta luck
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

Might be a long shot, but have you tried to access historical newspaper articles on the family surname......just out of curiousity, and because I had uncovered some family rumors......I placed my surname into the newspaper archive search at google, I must have went thru 40 pages, but imagine my surprise to find three newspaper articles on my ancestor and his shall we say, indiscretions regarding the law.
I even uncovered he and his brothers questioning regarding a famous shooting in Peoria, Illinois with the legendary Shelton gang. He and his brother had an airtight alibi..... :wink:

Later this evening I will look around and see what I can locate for you.
Lee
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

Not that this is related.....but this is an example of what can be found using the newspaper archive at google......can't print the entire article without paying for it, but sometimes they can be cross referenced at
Ancestry and located in full print:


Death Muffles Bootleg King's Wedding Bells

Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File) - Los Angeles, Calif.
Date: Nov 14, 1925
Start Page: 2
Pages: 1
Text Word Count: 200
Abstract (Document Summary)

"Smiling in anticipation of a death-bed wedding to Miss Rose Pecoraro. Samuel "Samoots" Amatuna early today in the Jefferson Park Hospital closed his eyes and passed out of the range of the spotlight of Chicago's underworld."


I looked into this briefly, and will take another look later.....I have a date with the most beautiful boy in the world, my grandson Anthony! :D
I'll have some free time when he's napping....unless by then I'll need one to!!
Lee
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
mgonzales
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Albuqerque, New Mexico USA

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by mgonzales »

Thats some weird stuff lee...I appreciate the info :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by PeterTimber »

we need more information....keep looking. Maybe Police Dept can give you some information? ask them for name check in last place he lived??=Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

Sorry, I've been preoccupied with the grandbaby, HE knows he has me wrapped around his little finger......

I am going to look into this late this evening, see if there isn't something out there to get you over this brickwall......

But I would most assuredly follow Peter's advice.....file an FOIA with the local police departments.

Lee
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

This has got to be related, or one awful coincedence that EVERY child matches your family on this census:

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Joe Shilaka
Home in 1930: Precinct 16, Colfax, New Mexico
Age: 38
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose
Race: White

Household Members:
Name Age:
Joe Shilaka 38
Rose Shilaka 31
Joe Shilaka 13
Tony Shilaka 11
Mary Shilaka 8
Buster Shilaka 5


wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by pink67 »

Essgee wrote:Don't ask me.....Just check this out!

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2268/shilabrava3.jpg


Look at the line with Shilabra.........
Yes WldSpirit..... Essgee already found this 1920 census... it seems the last name was "changed" in Shilabra....

and Biff found this 1930 census for the Pecoraro family.... look the grandson name...

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/685/ ... 930do1.jpg

I don't know why, but I think this is the right family.... :?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

I agree with Essgee, and posted the census info.....
but the poster states:
...for some odd reason they are not any census and the closest to it is a family with a different name?

I believe this is the RIGHT family, perhaps they changed the name to hide the identity....but there is no Buster Martinelli/a on census....I looked in numerous states surrounding Colorado..... :?

This is to strange to be a coincedence.......

Lee
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by pink67 »

Hi agree with you Lee....
I think possible they changed the last name for some unknow reason...
Ciao!
Laura
User avatar
mgonzales
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 30
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Albuqerque, New Mexico USA

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by mgonzales »

Thats them...but it sounds that its gonna be impossible to find my grandfathers birth origin...sounds like he made it complicated to finds with all these crazy last names..I appreciate all of your guys help...My mom is freaking out...Thanks again you guys rock
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Can you help me find my Martinelli's ?

Post by wldspirit »

I posted the 1930 census, which includes BUSTER......confirming
the records already found.
but all is not impossible......difficult yes, but never impossible!!

You have two surnames,(use both) each member of the families firstname, mother's maiden name, birthdates, thanks to the obituaries already provided, and year of birth by census....you know the areas in which they were born and lived. More than likely the children were baptized......send to the Archdiocese and request a records search......may reveal more clues.
You may have to send out more than one request according to where they
were at, but worth the time.
I have found the church archives to be very friendly and helpful.

And don't forget to file the FOIA for police records.....then we'll see what turns up!! :wink:

http://www.dioceseofpueblo.com/Departments.htm

wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Post Reply