If your ancestor was a prisoner in Italy......

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

If your ancestor was a prisoner in Italy......

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
I'm sure this can be a family secret and maybe you feel shame.
If you know he was a prisoner in Italy, you can find the prisoner records in the following Archivio di Stato:

Archivio Centrale dello Stato - Roma
(Rome Central Main Archive - it also contains documents related to Italian Prisoners of War -WWI and WWI)

Ascoli Piceno - Bologna - Caltanissetta - Caserta - Catania - Cosenza - Enna - Firenze - Genova - Livorno - Lucca - Mantova - Massa - Messina - Milano - Modena - Napoli - Palermo - Parma - Pavia - Pisa - Pistoia - Potenza - Ragusa - Reggio Calabria - Roma - Salerno - Savona - Siena - Siracusa - Terni - Torino - Trapani - Trento - Treviso - Trieste - Udine - Venezia - Vercelli - Verona -

Most of the italian Archivio di Stato keep penal sentences of local judge.
If you don't want to show to the IG listers your shy/shame about it (if any), I will be more than happy to help you if you write me a pm.
Regards
Riccardo :lol:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: If your ancestor was a prisoner in Italy......

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Ricbru I would like to add to your listing of MOBSTERS (criminals) by city and by country so that this page can become a source of information for anyone wishing to maintain a reference:

LIST OF MOBSTERS BY CITY AND COUNTRY. This list includes American mobsters and International organized crime figure by area of operation/sphere of influence. Some names may be listed in more than once city. For more general information see MAFIA. See also: List of Godfathers, Italian American mobsters, Irish American mobsters, Jewish American mobsters and British mobsters.

The website is: www.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famous-Mafiosi_by_city

=Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hi Riccardo,
I don't know if you found this manifest:
Francesco Bruno
Arrival Date: 19 Mar 1902
Port of Departure: Bremen
Ship Name: Hohenzollern
Search Ship Database: View the Hohenzollern in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 20
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_261
Page Number: 36

Here is the manifest. Francesco at line 20...
http://img218.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imagesg0.jpg
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The listing which may not show up in Wikipedia website can be found in Google.com with title LIST OF MOBSTERS BY CITY and first item is the 23 page listing for most countries inthe world having organized crime. =Peter=
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Mmm - this looks really interesting. Thanks for posting it Riccardo. I have a feeling that my great great grandmother's hot-head older brother may have got into trouble in Italy. He was sentenced to death in Scotland for murder, but the sentence was commuted to life in prison. After ten years he escaped and was never heard of again. I know from reading the records of his time in the condemned cell that he had also served time in prison in France. On that occasion it was short sentence. His crime was not telling the police where his father was hiding as they wanted his father for another crime. I would not be at all surprised to find his father had been in trouble in Italy too! :roll:

Are the indexes to these records on-line?

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Riccardo,
Is there anything available for the Marche, Pesaro e Urbino?

Not prison records, I don't think....but a way to check if someone
was in trouble with the police??

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

I do not think there are indexes on line.
If you just think he might be in trouble, the only way to check is to go straight to the Archivio di Stato and spend hours to research.
If you exactly know names, dates, places and fact, then it is easier, you can request the copy of the sentence or something.
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Thanks Riccardo

This is a whole new and really interesting area for research! I must get letter writing. The only trouble is that if I find any other criminal ancestors I think my grandmother will disinherit me!

Marisa :D
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta