Ruscetta family from Pico

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
itsagenthing

Ruscetta family from Pico

Post by itsagenthing »

I am looking for my husband's family. His grandfather was Angelo Ruscetta from Pico, Caserta, Italy. He was born in 25 Jan 1892. His parent were Maria Conta and Rapheral Ruscetta. He immigrated to the US on the SS Romanic out of Naples. The manifest is dated 18 Gen 1911. His ocupation was listed as Barber along with ten other aroud him on the manifest. Can anyone tell me how to find out more information about Angelo's family and his early life?
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Ruscetta family from Pico

Post by Biff83 »

Hello and welcome to IG!!

For reference:
Boston manifest for Angelo Ruscetta, line 18
Page 1
Page 2
Age 18
Last residence and place of birth: Pico
Nearest relatives in Italy: mother Maria and father ? in Pico
Destination: Pittsfield MA to join brother Antonino

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible second manifest for Angelo from 1921, line 29
Page 1
Page 2

Age 29, yob about 1892
Last residence and place of birth, Pico
Nearest relative in Italy, wife Battista in Pico
Destination, Pittsfield MA to join brother Antonio at 355? Penn St
Previously in US in Massachusetts

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
mjones
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mjones »

SSDI

Name: Angelo Ruscetta
SSN: 038-09-3516
Last Residence: 02840 Newport, Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
Born: 25 Jan 1892
Last Benefit: 02840 Newport, Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
Died: Feb 1980
State (Year) SSN issued: Rhode Island (Before 1951 )
FERRI - PROVENZANO - GUADAGNI - MARINESI - LARUSSA
itsagenthing

Post by itsagenthing »

Biff,
Thank you for posting the full manifest. I had page 1, but not page 2. That explained several questions, and gave us a verified link to Antonio. Do you know of any way I can find the rest of his siblings names, and how many of them there were?
JJOC1414
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JJOC1414 »

Just my interpretation. Angelo was not an immigrant during that period, just visiting his brother Antonio, once in 1911 and again in 1921. The first time he came over, at age 18, he gives his parents as his nearest relative, then in 1921 he gives his wife Battista as his nearest relative. This suggests he was still living in Pico.

Husbands often preceded their wives when immigrating, and we know he eventually immigrated to the US, of course, but because he doesn't seem to appear in the 1930 census (neither Angelo nor Battista), it would suggest that he come over permanently sometime after 1930.

Because Angelo did have a SSN and appears in the SSDI, you might request a copy of his SS-5 (original SSN application), though this will probably only confirm his date and place of birth as well as his parents names.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. For his siblings, unless you have a way to track your husband's family back in Italy, I don't know of another source other than waiting until April 2012 for the 1940 census, on the off chance that one of the siblings lived with his family.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Pico was part of the Papal States and civil records began there around 1873. You will have to get these records from the town office, then work with parish records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
SCscrapbooker

Post by SCscrapbooker »

I'm trying to determine if your husband and Maria Conta and Rapheral Ruscetta are related to my husband family.
itsagenthing

Post by itsagenthing »

Yes!! Antonio and Angelo were brothers!! Angelo stayed with Antonio for a while after come over. There were two other Ruscetta's that come over about the same time. One I am pretty sure was a brother, the other I betting was at least a cousin, and all came from Pico or Pica, depending on the document you look at, Caserta Italy. BTW, it is listed as Pico on the map...I looked it up, there is a Pica in a northern province.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Caserta is a Province south of Rome where you can find PICO.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
SCscrapbooker

Post by SCscrapbooker »

Was there someone in the family in Pittsfield.

capentinc

Post by capentinc »

I am the grandson of Antonio Ruscetta. He lived in Pittsfield at 335 Fenn St. A brother Charles also lived in Pittsfield. We believe he had a younger brother, we think Angelo, that eventually came to the US but he lost track of him. There were also other Ruscetta families in Pittsfield, that were cousins. All came from Pico. My grandfather was born in 1881 and was married to Filomena Carnevale, also fro Pico. They had seven children. My mother is the only one remaining. If a relative would like more information, I would be happy to share what I know. My name is Arthur and you can reach me directly via email at capentinc@comcast.net

It would be nice to know if we have some relatives out there.