Anyone willing to translate a letter from English to Italian

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
lizferla
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone willing to translate a letter from English to Italian

Post by lizferla »

My family name is Ferla, from the Sortino region of Sicily.
Have no info at all on my grandparents or their families or siblings.
Need to know who to write to in Palermo (I presume) to ask about their information, how much to send to cover costs.
As I do not speak a word of Italian, can someone help me write a letter to the appropriate authorities?
Really really grateful. Trying to trace them for so many years now. Even willing to fly over if that would be easier, but still need a letter in Italian to tell them what I need!!!!!!!
Thanks all,
Liz Ferla
All advice welcome!
Many thanks,
Liz Ferla
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Anyone willing to translate a letter from English to Ita

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Liz if you know their full names,.date or year of birth (even approximate year of birth and most importantly of all the city, town or village of origin where they were born.married and died...In Italy documents and records are found in these cities,towns and villages and easily accessed freeof charge.

For starters go to www.mangeruca.com and you will find the necessary form letters in Italian whichyou will need to make your requests as well as other documents you deem necessary. This website also will give you the postal codes for the Comune(city,town or village with a town hall) where these records are archived.

I am also giving you the website on conducting freeItalian genealogy on line. Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html or

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsof wisdom =Peter=
lizferla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lizferla »

Thank you. Will check these out tomorrow,
Liz Ferla
All advice welcome!
Many thanks,
Liz Ferla
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Liz go to www.google,com and type in the www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearls of wisdom then click on the first entry which is the website posted here. Get back if you run into a brick wall, as it were. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Gods are perverse this PM and the websites are misbehaving so I can only directyou to www.mangeruca.comwhich is in english but has many italian languiage from letters and provides addresses and other interesting facts for your research objectives. Sorry for the rest. =Peter=
bbombaci

Post by bbombaci »

Liz,

My grandfather was from Sortino; this past summer, I actually visited this town - it was great! I sent a letter in Italian to Sortino about 1 1/2 yrs ago to request some information about my grandfather. I received a pretty prompt email response, which contained much more info than I requested. I met the gentleman who sent me this email. When I was in Sortino, he showed me the individual card on my grandfather and allowed me to take a picture of it. He was very helpful. I would suggest that you email your letter to him at anagrafe@comune.sortino.sr.it. His name is Sebastiano Silluzio.

The Family History Center also has some reels on Sortino records. I've been thru some of them but don't recall the Ferla name ofthand.

Feel free to contact me if you wish.

Barb Bombaci
lizferla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lizferla »

Thanks for the advice and information.
Been told my family originate from either Sortino or Ferla, both in the Siracusa region of Sicily. Never been fortunate enough to visit either, lucky you! I have very little info on my Italian heritage, and would love to find out more.
I have noted the name and address you provided.
As I speak no Italian, would you be willing to translate a letter for me? Really appreciate the help.
Thanks,
Liz
lizferla@ntlworld.com
All advice welcome!
Many thanks,
Liz Ferla