'storico' letter

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: 'storico' letter

Post by Lucap »

GOOD NEWS:
From the Comune of Gioiosa Marea now we know:

Ferlazzo Antonino, born 1861 February 6th (married to Privitera Maria in Catania 1888/2/18, date not sure 100%)
Ferlazzo Ignazio, born 1863 February 28th
Ferlazzo Concetta, born 1864 April 1st
Ferlazzo Nicolò, born 1866 February 14th
Ferlazzo Marianna, born 1868 September 28th
Ferlazzo Grazia, born 1870 November 3rd
Ferlazzo Ignazio, born 1872 March 27th (married with Simone Maria in Mazzarrà Sant'Andrea, dead in Palermo date not sure)
Ferlazzo Celestino, born 1874 March 27th (married to Alosi Concetta Rosa in Gioiosa Marea 1896/12/11)
Ferlazzo Vincenzo, born 1876 April 25th
Ferlazzo Giovangregorio, born 1881 May 9th

Sorry to say you they did'nt send me the "copie integrali" but only extracts :twisted:
I'll call them again to have the photocopies...

Per gli amici di lingua italiana:
ditemi voi se è possibile che, pur richiedendo copia integrale secondo quanto previsto dalle vigenti normative, debbano ancora ragionare sulla base del Regio Decreto n. 1238 del 1939? (di cui mi hanno, gentilmente, fornito copia fotostatica 8O 8O )
Tra l'altro lascio giudicare a voi un paio di cose: ( :D )

ImageImage

ImageImage

Ciao

Luca
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Wow, Luca, you contacted Gioiosa Marea and not just Mazzarra? That is truly above and beyond, and I thank you. I wrote a letter to Gioiosa Marea earlier (July) and never heard back from them.

Also, it's interesting that Celestino married in Gioiosa Marea -- I ordered the films for that time period, and they weren't there (I was looking for an announcement, but checked all the marriage certificates, too).

This is great! Thank you! It seems more likely that Giuseppe Ferlazzo and Nunzia Costa were his parents, too, as well as Ignazio's. Although there were a lot of Ferlazzos in Gioiosa Marea.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Wait, were you saying those listed were ALL children of Giuseppe Ferlazzo and Nunziata Costa?

I went to look and see what I had, and I had found birth records (on microfilm) for these children of Giuseppe and Nunziata:

Marianna
Grazia
Ignazio
Vincenzo
Genoveffa
Giovangregorio, and
Giovanni.

Some of those appear on your list, some don't. That's interesting.

I'm interested in Nicolo, too. My grandfather, when he returned to the US in 1924, said he had an Uncle Nicolo in Brooklyn. Unfortunately the address he gave didn't exist, and I've never found a travel, census, or death record for Nicolo.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Minor correction, I didn't have a birth record for Ignazio, but I had his marriage record from Mazzarra. That microfilm for Gioiosa Marea was really damaged around 1871-1874.

Also, is it really possible that Ignazio lived to be 116?! Born in 1872 and died in 1989?

That seems...really unlikely. (Or damn, I've got some good genes!)

ETA: Oh, I see you said that death date seemed unlikely. Also, I can't believe that not a single one of those sons was named Salvatore. In one of my birth records somewhere I've got that Nunzia Costa was di Ignazio and Giuseppe was di Salvatore. Two Ignazios, but no Salvatores. Hmm.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

warriorrabbit wrote:Wow, Luca, you contacted Gioiosa Marea and not just Mazzarra? That is truly above and beyond, and I thank you. I wrote a letter to Gioiosa Marea earlier (July) and never heard back from them.
My voice is so sensual... that cute chick couldn't resist. ( :D )

Also, it's interesting that Celestino married in Gioiosa Marea -- I ordered the films for that time period, and they weren't there (I was looking for an announcement, but checked all the marriage certificates, too).
I'll ask for that marriage too.

This is great! Thank you! It seems more likely that Giuseppe Ferlazzo and Nunzia Costa were his parents, too, as well as Ignazio's. Although there were a lot of Ferlazzos in Gioiosa Marea.
Tomorrow i'll post all the documents they sent me: however they are all Giuseppe and Nunzia's childrens.

Luca
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

warriorrabbit wrote:...I went to look and see what I had, and I had found birth records (on microfilm) for these children of Giuseppe and Nunziata:

Marianna
Grazia
Ignazio
Vincenzo
Genoveffa
Giovangregorio, and
Giovanni.

If you have the pics for Genoveffa and Giovanni, post them in this thread: we'll see if they are really sons of Giuseppe and Nunzia.

Luca
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Ok, Genoveffa's birth splits two pages:
http://www.describe.org/genstuff/ferlaz ... a_1878.jpg
http://www.describe.org/genstuff/ferlaz ... _1878b.jpg

and Giovanni's is:

http://www.describe.org/genstuff/ferlaz ... i_1882.jpg

These people had a lot of children! That's at least 12 over 21 years. Holy cow.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

I think they are Giuseppe's sons too. So now you have:

Ferlazzo Antonino, born 1861 February 6th (married to Privitera Maria in Catania 1888/2/18, date not sure 100%)
Ferlazzo Ignazio, born 1863 February 28th
Ferlazzo Concetta, born 1864 April 1st
Ferlazzo Nicolò, born 1866 February 14th
Ferlazzo Marianna, born 1868 September 28th
Ferlazzo Grazia, born 1870 November 3rd
Ferlazzo Ignazio, born 1872 March 27th (married with Simone Maria in Mazzarrà Sant'Andrea, dead in Palermo date not sure)
Ferlazzo Celestino, born 1874 March 27th (married to Alosi Concetta Rosa in Gioiosa Marea 1896/12/11)
Ferlazzo Vincenzo, born 1876 April 25th
Ferlazzo Genoveffa, born 1878 April 4th
Ferlazzo Giovangregorio, born 1881 May 9th
Ferlazzo Giovanni, born 1882 June 4th

I'll ask the registrar of Gioiosa Marea for the "copie integrali" about Celestino, Antonino, the first Ignazio, Concetta, Nicolò and Celestino's marriage, so you'll have a complete status of the family.

Ciao
Luca
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Luca, I can't thank you enough for your help!

As Celestino and Concetta married in Gioiosa Marea, could I then assume that she is also from Gioiosa Marea? I guess if you get the marriage act it'll say for sure, but I understand they marry in the bride's parish (which is why there's a marriage act for Ignazio and Maria Simone in Mazzarra).

Also, I looked at the records for Grazia and Marianna, and they have listed the father as Giuseppe fu Salvatore.
http://www.describe.org/genstuff/ferlaz ... a_1870.jpg

This makes me curious as to why there's an Antonino instead of a Salvatore.

I looked again at Ellis Island, and I found one Nicolo that might possibly be him (the last time I searched, I was looking for a Nicolo from Mazzarra, not Gioiosa Marea), but he lists his father Antonino as the relative back home. So that can't be him. But there was only one Nicolo from Gioiosa Marea. Hmm.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

warriorrabbit wrote:...As Celestino and Concetta married in Gioiosa Marea, could I then assume that she is also from Gioiosa Marea?
It could be.

Also, I looked at the records for Grazia and Marianna, and they have listed the father as Giuseppe fu Salvatore.
http://www.describe.org/genstuff/ferlaz ... a_1870.jpg

This makes me curious as to why there's an Antonino instead of a Salvatore.
Why no?
However is one of the reasons i prefer the "copia integrale" and not the "estratto", so to rule out a possible registrar mistake.

I looked again at Ellis Island, and I found one Nicolo that might possibly be him (the last time I searched, I was looking for a Nicolo from Mazzarra, not Gioiosa Marea), but he lists his father Antonino as the relative back home. So that can't be him. But there was only one Nicolo from Gioiosa Marea. Hmm.
:cry:
Luca
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Well, I just assumed they'd follow the naming tradition. Nunzia was fu Ignazio, and they named the second son Ignazio, so...

But maybe it's one of those things I'll have to figure out when I get Giuseppe and Nunzia's marriage record or Giuseppe's birth record. Maybe he's Salvatore Giuseppe or something.

I have a similar problem on my grandmother's side of the family. Her grandmother and great uncle named their sons Pasquale after their father, but their marriage records indicate their father's name was Cristoforo. I'm still confused by that.
warriorrabbit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by warriorrabbit »

Oh, does Nicolo's estratto say anything about marriage or emigration?
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

No notes :cry:

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

The only notes are for:
Antonino (posted: married Privitera Maria in Catania in february 1988 .lol. )
Ignazio (posted: he died in 1989 .lol.)
Celestino (married Concetta Rosa Alosi in Gioiosa Marea in December 1896)

L.
niceadorn

Post by niceadorn »

Post deleted