Surnames from San Bartolomeo in Galdo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jvillilo

Surnames from San Bartolomeo in Galdo

Post by jvillilo »

I am attempting to help a friend find the original spelling of her grandfather's name from San Bartolomeo in Galdo, Campania. His name was changed in the US to Sam Bluso and the records found indicate he emigrated in 1911. Sam was born 17 Sep 1893 or 1894 and died 15 Apr 1987 in Cleveland, OH. The possible surname spellings include, Peluso and Pelosi, among others. We have not found the Ellis Island record yet. Any suggestions are appreciated.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surnames from San Bartolomeo in Galdo

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to IG!
Any indication of his first name, other than the nickname?
Parents? Spouse? Children? Brothers or sisters? Any known relatives?
Can you provide names or birthdates on any other individuals.

What have you located in way of original records?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

For reference:

Naturalization Record

States date of arrival as May 11, 1911
Port of New York.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi John

I have several families named Peluso aka Pelosi aka Peloso in my database. The surname is spelled all three ways on various documents beginning in the 18th century and continuing through the 19th century. These families lived in Campobasso.

As per the surname search engine at www.italia.indettaglio.it, the comune of San Bartolomeo in Galdo currently has at least 12 residents named Pelosi. There were no returns for either Peluso or Peloso.

I suspect that the spelling of this surname varied over the years but eventually evolved to Pelosi (at least in San Bartolomeo in Galdo). I'm sure that the answer will become clear as the family line is researched by your friend.
John Armellino
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pelosi is a base surname and listed in the Italian surname dictionary and the variants come from that base name...Peloso,Pelos,Peluso and Piluso.

Pelosi,Pelos and Pelosin are Venetian variantswhile Neopolitan variants arePeloso and Peluso with Piluso strictly Sicilian and Calabrian. The surname was one time a nickname for being facially hairy and first showed up in 1159 as Pelosus or Pilosus. =Peter=
jvillilo

Post by jvillilo »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have found Sam and his wife Lucia Longo in 1920 and 1930 census records in Cleveland and the Cleveland Library's necrology files but no mention of Sam's siblings. Sam served in WWI and I've found that record also on Ancestry. The Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild has the SS Italia arriving at Ellis Island on May 11, 1911 which is the date Sam indicated in his naturalization records but I think his name may be on one of the 28 pages not transcribed yet. This is all wonderful information and my friend is just floored....