Searching by town not name!?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DonNino20

Searching by town not name!?

Post by DonNino20 »

I was wondering if there is a way to search by town of origin. I am having a real hard time finding ancestors @ EllisIsland.org because of the misspelling of their names. If there was a way to search by town, the search might be a little easier. If there is a service like that that is available? If there is please let me know. Either way though, EllisIsland.org is a great service that I would be lost without. Thank you very much!!

Anthony Scillia
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

How many towns are you talking about? Peter
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Searching by town

Post by Buona »

Hi,

A good site for this is www.jewishgen.org or www.stevemorse.org. This was the only way I was able to find my grandfather at Ellis. It well worth the time to read the FAQ first.

Good luck!
DonNino20

I wanna say about 5 or 6 towns...

Post by DonNino20 »

My Mother's family
Guardia Sanframondi, Benevento, Campania

My Father's Mother's family
Monte San Giacomo, Salerno, Campania

My Father's Father's family
Capizzi, Messina, Sicily

Things get a little crazy here...my aunt always said we had family from Santo Stefano, Sicily, but she never said which one...I am leaning toward Di Camastra because it is in the province of Messina which is where Capizzi is. But who knows for sure. Another thing that makes me lean towrd Di Camastra is that the name I am looking for is Magarro. In that town there is Mugavero, which for all know might be the same family, but names got screwed up at Ellis Island. What really sucks, excuse the expression, is that a lot of the people who would know have passed away.
Santo Stefano Di Camastra, Messina, Sicily
or
Santo Stefano Quisquina, Agrigento, Sicily

Then there are some other names I'm trying to find but have no real idea where they are from...the name Bombace I believe is from Calabria cause my Father's Mother's Father would break his wife's chops about being from Calabria...He would said she was a hard head
DonNino20

Thanks Buona...

Post by DonNino20 »

I'll check...but who knows!!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you go to the Mromon Family History Library nearest your home and rent out the microfilm of the civil records for the towns you mentioned you can then trace back to 1809 (in most cases) up to 1900-1910 for family memebrs by name. This is the surest way to know which town is the right town but due diligence is required since you have to look for same surnames in the same town to connect family that you know are already family. Peter
DonNino20

Thank you...

Post by DonNino20 »

very much for your help...I'll try & see what happens...btw the LDS let non LDS into their church or centers...It's probably a stupid question but I'm green when it comes to this stuff!!

Anthony
doublebella

Ellis Island Searches by Town

Post by doublebella »

I also had a problem due to missed spelled surnames , but knew the twon our family was from. I did a quick search for the you below at Ellis Island, which worked for me, please give it a try. As stated in a previous reply the other two websites did help me as well.

To help search for the misspelled names I entered your surname as Maga*.*, inorder to search for anyone whose name begins with these letters but ending letters vary. I then selected "Ports of Italy", and then all records. The link is provided below, be patient...it took me almost 4 days of searching over 1500 records, but located 3 family members.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Good for you!!! Peter
DonNino20

Thanks for...

Post by DonNino20 »

helping me out...really appreciate it!!