info on records of nobility

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
steeve

info on records of nobility

Post by steeve »

I've found my g2 grandparents donna domenica farruggio and salvatore nocera's wedding record from campobello di licata 1/10/1874. to my suprise her name was followed by "nobile". her parents were don leopoldo farruggio (b.1800?) and donna maria giuliana(B.1810?). i've read some info on sicilian nobility but, have found nothing that includes them specificly other than both farruggio and giuliana are noble names. my question is where do i find such records? are they untitled nobility? if they are untitled nobility will that make it more difficult to find? is untitled nobility inherited? and , how far back does such an untitle go?
leopoldo's occupation was listed as "civile" in a 1843 record and on the '74 marriage certificate "agricalatore familiata" i dont know how useful that info is. any info or recommendations are appreciated.
steeve
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: info on records of nobility

Post by PeterTimber »

I would suggest you go to google.com and in the title put in Sicily Nobility (surname) genalogy and see if there are references toyour research objectives. Try variations in the title as you see fit for additonal possible leads.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a comprehensive lsiting for Sicilian nobility that does not appear to have any immediate reference for farruggia but interesting nvertheless.

Go to www.commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/category: nobility_of_Sicily =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

This website will not respond. To obtain this website go to www.google.com and insert in title: Commons.wikimedia.org Sicily Nobility and then claick the very first entry..=Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In this site you can find the Coat of arms of Giuliana:
http://www.regione.sicilia.it/benicultu ... ffrida.htm
michaeldi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaeldi »

Perhaps what is written is nubile (with u) which is a term often seen in marriage records to signify that the woman was unmarried. Celibe is used for an unmarried male.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP