Help request for Joseph Buffo family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Help request for Joseph Buffo family

Post by adamf »

Hi all,

I've gotten some wonderful help here before and know you all work wonders with the information available. So here is what I know.

My great grandmother was Francis Chiado. Her parents were Robert Chiado and Domenica "Minnie" Buffo. Domenica Buffo was born 24 Jan 1888 in Spring Valley, IL to Thomas Buffo and Ernestine Tarachioni.

Thomas Buffo was born in Pratiglione, Italy on 22 Sept. 1865 to Louis Buffo and Minnie ?, and died 13 Dec 1942 in Mark, Putnam County, Illinois.

I am currently fleshing out as much family detail as I can about the children of Louis and Minnie Buffo. First of all, I do not know whether Louis and Minnie came to the U.S.

This is what I do know. At least 3 of 4 children ended up in the U.S.

One was Thomas' brother named Joseph. As per his obit, I know Joseph was born 21 May 1871 in Italy, came to the U.S. and worked "out west" in coal and lead mines. He went back to Italy (presumably to get married) and came back to live in Braidwood, IL then Seatonville, IL, then finally Cedar Point, IL. Joseph married Maria ? at some point. She died 25 June 1930. He died 25 Dec 1945. They had 5 children. 2 boys, John and Joseph. Three girls, who I only know as Mrs. Harry Rauh of DePue, IL, Mrs. R.L. Adler of Beacon, N.Y. and Mrs. Charles Kehoe of Hastings, Nebraska.

So, any help on Joseph or his family would be appreciated, including ships manifests. Thomas, Joseph, and Rose all came to the U.S. but I don't know if they came together. Illinois seems to be the starting point for all of them.

Sorry for being long-winded. But as always any help is appreciated.

Adam
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Help request for Joseph Buffo family

Post by pink67 »

Hi Adam,

here you have Giuseppe Buffalo's arrival in 1907... he was american citizen, coming back to his home in Spring Valley ILL. He was travelling with his wife Maria, she declared that it was the first time she arrived in USA, so possible they get married in Italy?

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Giuseppe Buffalo
Name: Giuseppe Buffalo
Arrival Date: 27 Jan 1907
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: St Paul
Search Ship Database: View the St Paul in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 2
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_823
Page Number: 122

[img=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5408 ... vg7.th.jpg]

Laura :D
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

1930 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Buffs
Name: Joseph Buffs
Home in 1930: Cedar Point, Lasalle, Illinois
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1872
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Buffs 58 head
Mary Buffs 46 wife
Minnie Buffs 23 daughter
Lena Buffs 22 daughter
John Buffs 20 son
Rose Buffs 18 daughter
Joseph Buffs 14 son

[img=http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5997 ... zb0.th.jpg]

Laura
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Wow. Very well done, and thank you. The misspellings always seem to trip me up. Those both look to be my Joseph.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Alright, thanks to Pink, I now know Joseph's three girls names. Minnie, Lena, and Rose. Now I've got to match the girls with the married names Mrs. Harry Rauh, Mrs. R.L. Adler, and Mrs. Charles Kehoe.

Any suggestions??
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Adam,

Not sure if you have these. Maria's death certificate might have her maiden name.
BUFFO MARIA
Death certificate#: 0060199
Date of death: 1930-06-25
County of BUREAU, city of SPRING VALLEY

BUFFO JOSEPH
Death certificate#: 0050193
Date of death: 1945-12-25
BUREAU SPRING VALLEY

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Been awhile since I researched in Bureau county, my notes are buried, but If I remember correctly, Princeton is the county seat.
They were actually nice enough to do a look-up for me on a marriage record per telephone call. I had a rough idea of when the marriage took place.

Some info which may help:

Matson Public Library 15 Park Avenue West.
The library contains an outstanding collection of Bureau County genealogical reference material, history books, census and cemetery records, indexed newspaper, city directories, atlases, and family histories.
Hours: Winter: 12-9 Mon. thru Thur., 9-1 Fri., 9-6 Sat. Summer: 12-6 Mon. thru Thur. Library (815) 875-1331, Genealogy
(815) 875-8491

Bureau County Genealogical Society 629 South Main St. The genealogical society houses records of : Bureau Co. Census (1850-1930); Cemetery Records with Index; Marriage Index; Divorce Index; Funeral Home Records; Newspapers - Princeton and other small towns; City and County Histories; Family Histories; Church Records and Histories; Bureau Co. Atlases; Bureau co. history books including many town histories; Illinois Public Domain Land Records; Illinois Death Index 1916-1947; Source Books for some Illinois counties, other States, and Foreign Countries; County Farm/Home Records. Hours: Monday - Friday 10:00-3:00. Open Saturday by appointment only.

Bureau County Historical Society 109 Park Avenue West The museum and library are located in the historic Clark-Norris Home. Four floors are filled with outstanding collections of Bureau County history. Family information and photographs of early residents are available from the Henry W. Immke Photographic Archive.1-5 Wed. thru Mon. all year.
Group tours by appointment. Adults $1.00, Students $.25. brochure available.
(815) 875-2184.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Adam,

Could this be Rosa (Thomas and Joseph's sister) arrival in 1906...?
she was joining her husband Giacomo? Bertoglio in Clinton....

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Rosa Buffo
Name: Rosa Buffo
Arrival Date: 27 Oct 1906
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Port of Departure: Havre
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: La Provence
Search Ship Database: View the La Provence in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 22
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_788
Birth Location Other: pratiglione
Page Number: 102

[img=http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7231 ... jr7.th.jpg]

Laura