New User

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sarahac87

New User

Post by sarahac87 »

So, I have no idea how to find things out about my Great-grandparents or their family. All I know is my Grandmother's maiden last name (Morello). And I've been told that her father was a police officer in New York... I don't even know what city. Any tips on how to get any further?
~Sarah~
vj
Master
Master

Re: New User

Post by vj »

Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum :D !
Generally you would want to start with yourself and work backwards.
If you would like us to help you find US records to get you started,
we would need names, approx birth dates, locations, etc.
Valarie
sarahac87

Post by sarahac87 »

Well, my father's name is Michael Patrick Clarke, Born July 27, 1960 in Binghamton, New York (I think) . I know his mother's maiden name was Delores Ilene Morello (not sure of the spelling).... That's about all I have.... sorry...
~Sarah~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Was your grandmother born inthe USA? =peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

As pointed out by Vj.....genealogy is best done starting with yourself, working backwards one generation at a time and above all.....gathering facts!!

Is there anyone in the family you can interview? Father? Perhaps grandmother still living? Aunt, Uncle, or even a cousin? Can you obtain a copy of fathers birth record? If still living, he should have this in his possesion. Should list mother and fathers name, place of birth.

The family lived in New York, did they remain in New York? Move elsewhere? What year can you expect them to appear in records?
Grandmothers year of birth? Even her age at Michaels birth would help.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
sarahac87

Post by sarahac87 »

My father lives in California and he just got his voicebox removed, and this kind of stuff is hard to discuss through text messages. Everyone older than him (like parents, aunts, uncles) has passed away as far as i know. I could find a family tree form and have him fill out as much as possible i guess..... thanks for the help! :)
~Sarah~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Sarah perhaps you might wish to go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html so that you can conduct your own research at your own pace. If you have any questions get baxck to us. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is one used by the Lds:

family group sheet

have him fill out as much as knows, would help alot in tracking down the right family.
wldspirit :wink:

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:www angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/free_genealogy_research.html =Peter=
or better:

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

with a dot after www
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Ma Livio come mai con "." o senza "." ci arriviamo alla stessa pagina?? Allora stiamo tutti due meglio di meglio!!! =Peter=
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

Sarah,

In the 1920 Census in Broome Co NY Binghampton there is a Mike Morello Listed who is 40 years old. I looked at his children and did not see a Deloris but she could have been born after that or is perhaps a grandchild of Mike. It shows Mike to have immigrated in 1893 but don't bank on that as the Census naturalization dates are notoriously incorrect.

The children listed are.

Louis 18 years old born in Italy and immigrated in 1904
Patrick 16 born NY
Antonella 11 born in NY
Donny 7
John 5
Mary 4
Mararet 2
Lina (Probably Madeline) 1

Mike's wife is a Mary

I checked Ellis Island and found a Maria with two children but neither's name was Louis.

Without more info it would be hard to guess whether these are related to your grandmother or not but don't give up hope.

Dan
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

PeterTimber wrote:Ma Livio come mai con "." o senza "." ci arriviamo alla stessa pagina?? Allora stiamo tutti due meglio di meglio!!! =Peter=
Translation:
But Livio why with "." or without "." we arrive at the same page?? Then we are both better than better!!!

Peter, you know better than me that you cannot reach a page if the URL is misspelled, your post did not have the dot and was edited in a second time. :twisted:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Helpful hint:

When providing links, simply copy and paste. :wink:
Less chance of error, and eliminates need for correction by either parties.
wldspirit

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oops..this is my fault I am afraid. I corrected the link for Peter at the same time as Livio was posting. We often do this for members to keep the information current and avoid confusion for our posters, such as this. I was going to add the link was corrected but I was too late and then the forum went down.

I apologize to all parties involved for any trouble this may have caused. :oops:

As Lee said, best to copy and paste links to avoid any problems.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database