Spellings of Mulae (Mule)?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Spellings of Mulae (Mule)?

Post by Tonal »

Hello,
I can't be positive of the correct spelling of the surname Mulae. My husband's grandmother told us that her maiden name was Mulae. I didn't find out how she spelled it and wondered if anyone in Villalba may know of it's correct spelling? She emigrated to US and married her first cousin, Geraci (Gerace).
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Spellings of Mulae (Mule)?

Post by misbris »

Interesting!!!!

Only 5 persons with that name are on Ellis Islands lists. However when you look at the manifests, it seems that the spelling is Muli or Mule with an accent on the e. Both Mule and Mula appear in Sicily, but not Mulae or Muli.
What is her first name?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Currently there are 5 people in Villalba, Caltanissetta
With the spelling Mule`

From: http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

(Hi mj)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hey vj,

I didn't know how to do the accent. Did you just use an apostrophe after the e? I'm still a neophyte. :?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I just copied & pasted it from the website :wink:
(I don't think US keyboards can do an accent?)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I never thought of that!!! You are the best.

I think the name is Mule with the accent. I don't know why it was transcribed as Mulae. :? Maybe it is a dipthong thing.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

my picks................

MULE'

MULEA ......first choice

MULEI

MULETA

j
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

A little off topic...but you can do accents on a US keyboard

Éé
You get this by pressing CTRL + ‘(apostrophe) then pressing the letter….if you want it capped you just do CTRL + CAP +‘(apostrophe) then press the letter.

Èè
You get this by pressing CTRL + `(accent grave) then pressing the letter….if you want it capped you just do CTRL + CAP + `(accent grave) then press the letter.

ãñÃÑ
You get this by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ~(tilde) then pressing the letter….if you want it capped you just do CTRL + SHIFT +CAP + ~(tilde then press the letter.

Let me know if there are any others you need......
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Clicker wrote:A little off topic...but you can do accents on a US keyboard

Éé
You get this by pressing CTRL + ‘(apostrophe) then pressing the letter….if you want it capped you just do CTRL + CAP +‘(apostrophe) then press the letter.

Èè
You get this by pressing CTRL + `(accent grave) then pressing the letter….if you want it capped you just do CTRL + CAP + `(accent grave) then press the letter.

ãñÃÑ
You get this by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ~(tilde) then pressing the letter….if you want it capped you just do CTRL + SHIFT +CAP + ~(tilde then press the letter.

Let me know if there are any others you need......
Thanks!
Valarie
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Wow!!

Never even noticed that little key over on the end. :wink: Thank you very much.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Do you have to click all those keys simultaneously? =Peter=
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonal »

Misbris, Great Grandma's name was Concetta Mulae and her mother's name was Crucificha (maiden name unknown) and father's name, Almaday Mulae.
Clicker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Clicker »

Hi Peter

In answer to your question...you have to press the CTRL key plus the symbol (and the CAP if you want capitals) at the same time then the next step is to press the letter you want it applied to.

Sometimes when I post on a forum or do email, I open a word document and type what I need and cut and paste......sometimes the way a board is set up or depending on the email, the accents don't always work as easily as you would like them to (also because sometimes I need a good run at pressing keys simulatneously....LOL)
Tonal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonal »

Just wondered if anyone else has a take on Mulae (Mule)? When my husband's grandmother talked to me years ago about where she was born, she did have an accent that I really didn't know she had. She pronounced Villalba as Villarba! I had a hard time finding Villarba on the map, until I wrote for help.

I sent a letter to the town hall in Villalba and am awaiting their answer and birth certificate. However, if the spelling (Mulae) is not correct, I hope that they will look under the different spellings of the name. I did write down her birthday, so I'm hoping they can find the information.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I am just posting this as a possibility. Could this be a brother of Concetta? Father is Andrea. Spelling is Mule'.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

p2http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5 ... &line=0029