Milazzo family Camporeale, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
milagiro

Milazzo family Camporeale, Italy

Post by milagiro »

I have been doing research on my family roots; the Milazzo's from Camporeale. My great-grandfather was Paul Mario Milatzo (spelling change when arrived in New Orleans) he arrived in the U.S. about 1890 then migrated to Cheyenne, WY, and apprently so did some of his cousins who also adopted the new spelling of our surname. My g-grandfather's father was Bartholomew Milazzo whose wife was M. Melchiorri - birthplace Saint Barthelemy in the Aosta Valley Region.

And that's where the information ends. My g-grandfather stated on his official documents that he was from the "Camporeale, Trapani" area ... which is odd because they are in different regions. I'm assuming that maybe his parents were from Trapani and that Paul's last residence was Camporeale (beforing coming to the U.S.)

I would LOVE to dig deeper and go back farther into my Milazzo family, but keep hitting a brick wall - any other Milazzo's out there from Camporeale and/or Trapani?

Thank you,
milogiro
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Milazzo family Camporeale, Italy

Post by PeterTimber »

Zooming in for a quick start.....go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Milazzo inthe first line and Camporeale in the second line and click CERCA and 6 persons residing in caporeale with the surname Milazzo will show up with complete names,addresses and telephonenumbers... Perhaps youmay want to cut across genealogy lines and send them or any whose first names ring a bell and send them a potential relative letter...Go to:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

You may also wish to conduct your own genealogy by going to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

Any questions? get back to us. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You have the name of both father and mother, so sending a request to
Camporeale would be quite simple. If they return "a no records found"
then you know to look elsewhere for the place of birth.

Going thru the manifest, for both Paolo and Stefano, Camporeale is listed.

On what document was Trapani listed?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is an interesting record giving the same Camporeale/Trapani info. Unfortunately the manifest is misfiled at Ellis Island. :cry: Maybe someone can access it at Ancestry?

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 1403010271
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

This may help:
http://sicilia.indettaglio.it/eng/comun ... reale.html
Until 1954 the commune was dependent by Trapani and only later it turned to Palermo
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

misbris wrote:Here is an interesting record giving the same Camporeale/Trapani info. Unfortunately the manifest is misfiled at Ellis Island. :cry: Maybe someone can access it at Ancestry?

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/passR ... 1403010271
1910 manifest
pg 2
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Milogiro go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Camporeale and when postal code, Camporeale, PA (for palermo province) and Sicily show up click on Camporeale which willbring up details about the town and below under Municipio is address if your are writing to camporeale for documents at their Uffico di stato Civile and to the right is the www for the Camporeale web page.....=Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

milagiro wrote:I have been doing research on my family roots; the Milazzo's from Camporeale. My great-grandfather was Paul Mario Milatzo (spelling change when arrived in New Orleans) he arrived in the U.S. about 1890 then migrated to Cheyenne, WY, and apprently so did some of his cousins who also adopted the new spelling of our surname. My g-grandfather's father was Bartholomew Milazzo whose wife was M. Melchiorri - birthplace Saint Barthelemy in the Aosta Valley Region.

And that's where the information ends. My g-grandfather stated on his official documents that he was from the "Camporeale, Trapani" area ... which is odd because they are in different regions. I'm assuming that maybe his parents were from Trapani and that Paul's last residence was Camporeale (beforing coming to the U.S.)

I would LOVE to dig deeper and go back farther into my Milazzo family, but keep hitting a brick wall - any other Milazzo's out there from Camporeale and/or Trapani?

Thank you,
milogiro
Hi,
send an email to RosarioSalone@libero.it, he will be happy to help you, tell him you had it from me
bye Riccardo
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Now that you have confirmed Camporeale as the town of interest,
you can either write to the comune or check for microfilmed records.

Comune di Camporeale
Via Marco Minghetti 85
90043 Camporeale, PA
Italy

Fax: 0924-0924-37559
email: anagrafe.camporeale@libero.it

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Hi Riccardo....

Even better yet.... :D
send an email to RosarioSalone @ libero.it, he will be happy to help you, tell him you had it from me
wldspirit

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Rosario Salone is a friend of mine, and he is happy to help if he can, attending Trapani State Archive (that keeps the records of all the province) and Trapani vital statistics
bye Riccardo
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

WOW! You guys are awesome....and quick! Thank you!
My g-grandfather was born in 1871, he states that he arrived in the U.S. about 1890, but I have searched hundreds of ships manifests and find no information that would match his statistics from 1886 to 1893. I have his death certificate and obituary, marriage certificate and American passport application - he applied in 1904 then returned to Italy for a visit around 1907 - so the Ellis Island info is correct, but not his original arrival.

He might have traveled under a different name, or his name was terribly mis-spelled on the manifests ... or....the actual manifest with his name on it is lost.

I will do as you all have suggested and write a letter, first to Rosario Salone and second to Comune di Camporeale. I will let you know what I find. Thank you all so very much!
- milagiro
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Milagiro,
Rosario just told me that Camporeale civil records are kept at Palermo state archive, but they are up to 1865.
So, now I translated the letter you wrote to Rosario, into italian, and he will see if contacting the priest he can have the infos u r looking for

This is Camporeale civil record office where to write in order to have Paul Mario Milazzo birth certificate

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Marco Minghetti, 85
CAP 90043
Camporeale (PA)
Italy

FHL has not the record you are looking for (birth civil record)

You can find the bapt record written in latin

S.Antonio di Padova parish (Camporeale)

Battesimi 1888-1891, 1888-1902, 1899-1909
FHL INTL Film
2165353 Items 1 - 3

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Have you seen this manifest? I don't know if this is your Paul, but there is naturalization info.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0013
milagiro

Post by milagiro »

misbris,
Yes, this is my great-grandfather. He returned to Italy for a visit and arrived in New York. He owned a shoe repair shop in Cheyenne, Wyoming and was also the Italian Deputy Consul for the State of Wyoming.

However, I am hoping to find his original immigration documents because there are so many conflicting dates, but more importantly, his real name. I can find no documentation for a Paul or Paolo Milazzo from Camporeale and that came to the U.S. about 1890 or 1891. So either the ship manifest is lost, or my g-grandfather traveled under another name.

Thank you so very much for your help, I really appreciate it!
milagiro