Marriage of Pissarello and Diamonte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Pisarello

Marriage of Pissarello and Diamonte

Post by Pisarello »

Because I am new to this, I didn't know whether to add on to my other posting or do another one - because it is a different question, I am doing it this way.
If I have an exact marriage date of a couple, but that is all I have, what should I do next to find out more? I have only this date and I know nothing else about the couple.
They are:- Bartolome Pissarello and Bartolomea Dimonte and they were probably married in Varazze, Genova. The marriage date was 18th March 1729. I have tried on www.familysearch.org and the is nothing on there. Is it possible that any of you are able to find anything out?
I asm very grateful for the help I received on my other posting and I am in the process of writing to the two addresses I was given.
regards,
Tricia :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Marriage of Pissarello and Diamonte

Post by PeterTimber »

There are two out of 8 chuches with telephonesin Varazze indicating a resident priest is a good way to start checking church records. remember That prelates can sometimes be testy and hiring their nephews to research can be useful. Go to www.parrocchie.it for churches and insert Varazze on right side. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Goto http://en.comuni-italiani.it/009/065/telefono.html and write "Parrocchia" in the Last name field, you will find the phone number for 5 Churches in Varazze, with their addresses. [Actually you will see 7 entries, however #4 is in Alpicella (a hamlet of Varazze) and #5 and 6 are the same church.]
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

liviomoreno wrote:Goto http://en.comuni-italiani.it/009/065/telefono.html and write "Parrocchia" in the Last name field, you will find the phone number for 5 Churches in Varazze, with their addresses. [Actually you will see 7 entries, however #4 is in Alpicella (a hamlet of Varazze) and #5 and 6 are the same church.]
and entry #7 is a school (kindergarten) belonging to church #1, so do not write or phone there. (I lived three years in Varazze and my daughter was born in Savona).

Regads Ada
Pisarello

Post by Pisarello »

Thankyou so much for your help, I have found the addresses and telephone numbers.
I won't make the same mistake as milagiro made this evening, by telephoning, as I don't speak Italian either. :oops:
So my other choice is to write a letter to the churches.
I would like the marriage certificate and I would like to ask if they have any other information.
Should I write in english or Italian and what should I say and how much money should I send and how should I send it?
If have to write in Italian, would it be possible for anyone to do one for me?
Thankyou,
regards,
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Always write in Italian only!
There are options for form letters which you could use, or if you post in the language section, one of our members can translate for you.
Let us know which best suits your needs.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Further suggestions by the Lds:

Most of the earliest church records date from the mid-1500s, and some were kept even earlier. The records may be stored in a local parish or a regional archive. You should request information from the local parish first. In your letter, ask where you can write to request records that are no longer stored locally.

When writing to a parish, it is also a good idea to send a donation of $15.00 as a courtesy. Do not send a personal check, which is difficult and expensive to exchange in Europe. Cash is most easily converted to European currency, but sending cash is always risky.

Keep a photocopy of your letter. Enclose payment for the return postage. Convert funds to foreign currency. Mark the envelope Air Mail.

When you receive a reply, send a note of thanks or acknowledgment. You may wish to do this in a follow-up letter requesting further information. Refer to your earlier letters and their return letters by date. If they have assigned you a reference number, include that number as well.

If you do not receive an answer, write again and send a copy of your first letter. Do not send more money unless you verify that your first letter did not arrive.

Be brief and simple. Do not ask for too much at one time.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Pisarello

Post by Pisarello »

Ok,
Thanks for all the information, I am truly grateful.
My next question would be - there are 4/5 different churches - how do I find out which one to write to and pay the $15 to - or should I write a standard letter to each, with money for reply postage and then wait to hear from them to find out which is the correct one and then send of the $15.
I hope you understand my rather garbled explanation. :oops:
regards
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Well if you send a $15 donation to each of the 5 churches you're looking at $75. If no one has the record, they will not refund that money. If spending the money is not a problem for you then you it, otherwise, I would stick with option two.

Write a form letter, enclose an SASE and postage (if possible, and you know of someone it Italy, send them the money through PayPal and have them send you postage instead. I found this works best sometimes).

Or even better still, perhaps one of our members living in Italy can call one the Churches for you and see how they would like the request handled.

*hides*
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

So, my daughter was baptized in Varazze, in the church of San Domenico. I phoned and I've been told that this church now is a sanctuary, so do not write there. Acccording to the priest who answered to me, it seems that all registers are kept in the church of S. Ambrogio and the priest is: Don Luigi Grosso.
If I were you I would start with this one and see what is the result. You could add, in your letter, to let you know, in case of a negative result, if there are registers kept in other churches in Varazze and who should you get in touch with to have this act.

Hope this will help.

Ada
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ada,

This is so nice of you! Now Tricia has a head start which will save her time and money.

I think she is going to be very happy. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database