Given (saint) names and important events or happenings.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Given (saint) names and important events or happenings.

Post by Edmondo »

In the year 1858 the name Emidio was given to about 90% of the new born boys in Valle dell'Angelo (SA). The reason for that wat the Great Napolitan Earthquake of December 16th, 1857.

The same I see in the period of 1842/1843 when a lot of boys were given the name Rocco. The reason for that was the Plague.

Are there other given (saint) names which can be related to an important event or happening?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Given (saint) names and important events or happenings.

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Edmondo are you talking about prsonal knowledge or websites? There are 1600 names listed in Italy and Emidio and Rocvco are listed. There are celebrity nanmes and songs about names and coming soon are the lists of funny names,jokes with names,VIP names and VIP childrens names.Then there are strange and ridiculous names at www.nomix.it/articolo_leggi.php

Further there are strange and funny surnames located at www.cognomix.it/cognomi_strani.php

But nowhere are there any names associated with world events!!! =Peter=
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Hi Peter, I think you did not understand my question.

Saint Emygdius (Sant' Emidio) protects against Earthquakes.

Saint Roch (San Rocco) protects against Cholera and Plague.

In times after a disaster in many cases children were named after a saint who they thought would protect them.

Are there other happenings in Italian History what made the parents choose a specific name for their child?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

From what I see this is a comparatively limited list since most childrens firsts names are identified with a host of other celestial and earth bound happenings, saints, body parts (St Lucy for eyes and St. Anne for good births), St. Lawrence for back & shoulders, Town saints like San Calogero, Sciacca, Sicily etc etc =Peter=
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Are there other given (saint) names which can be related to an important event or happening?
Great Question! After the unification, there was a rash of children named Incoronata in Campobasso (CB). Prior thereto, there were very few children with that name.
John Armellino
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Thank you John, this is exactly what I mean.
Do you also know what the name means or if it refers to a saint or other person?

In the civil registration of Valle dell'Angelo (SA) I have never seen the name Incoronata but I noticed the name Salvatore became popular for a short time after the unification where prior there were only 2 children with this name (counting from 1809).

What about the name Emidio in Campobasso (CB) in the year 1858?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Edmondo

I believe the given name Incoronata derives from the transitive verb incoronare, meaning "to crown". I have over 400 individuals with this name in my database and only about 50 predate the unification (of course, there were also Kings and Queens of the Two Sicilies). Quite a few proietti were given this name immediately after unification. I've always assumed that the name became popular in honor of the new Kingdom of Italy.

Salvatore (aka Salvadore) was a popular name in Campobasso, at least as far back as the early 1700s. A local 18th century Baron carried this name and that might have something to do with its popularity. However, Emidio is quite rare in the CB records. I only have 4 individuals with that name and they all originated elsewhere.

I will start to look for connections between events and names. I often find myself wondering about the lives of the people I'm researching and what might have been going through their minds at a given event, such as the birth (or death) of a child.
John Armellino
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

JohnArmellino wrote: I often find myself wondering about the lives of the people I'm researching and what might have been going through their minds at a given event, such as the birth (or death) of a child.
I know exactly what you mean. I am transcribing all civil records of Valle dell'Angelo from 1809 to 1940. Many times I think about how live must have been and how the people must have felt. Specially when reading the many death records of young children. About 50% of the death records I have transcribed until now were children up to 4 years old. :(

Maybe it is something local that the name Emidio in 1858 was given to 90% of the children, but we will only know when we hear from other members.

http://saints.sqpn.com is an interesting website if you are interested in saints and their patronage.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Edmondo I found the website very interesting, particularly the portion relating to the Patron Saint Index Topic at http://saints.sqpn.com which reflects that there were 49 actual Saints, Including St. Rochs for Italy as you stated for the plague but the 50th is MOSES for the 10 plagues visited upon the Pharaoh of Egypt by him in the New catholic Dictionary. =Peter=