The Hunt For Ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sessa

The Hunt For Ancestors

Post by Sessa »

Hey Everybody! I'm in the process of gathering information about my Italian family in order to apply for dual citizenship jure sanquinis . Here are the basics...my maternal grandfather was born in Italy in 1907 (Naples/Sessa) and immigrated with his family through New York (found the ship manifest...S.S. Cedric sailing from Naples, arrived on Dec. 31, 1909). My mother was born in 1931 in Connecticut and I was born in Texas in 1955. According to the 1930 Census (completed on April 10, 1930), my grandfather was an alien (still an Italian citizen), single, 23 years old...apparently, within the next year and a few months he got married and they had my mother on July 19 1931.

The information I am trying to locate is my grandfather's Naturalization date...if in fact he was Naturalized, and his Italian birth certificate. His name was John Grimaldi (born Giovanni and changed to John) on April 15, 1907 in Sessa, Italy. He lived in Hartford, Connecticut all his life (as far as I know) and died there January 2, 1981. I also think his father (GGF) was named Giovanni Grimaldi and born sometime between 1866 and 1870...I don't know for sure where in Italy, but I'm guessing Sessa, Italy. His mother (GGM) was named Nunzia Sabatino Grimaldi and she was born in 1871 and I'm also guessing Sessa, Italy.

Any information or how to go about locating it would be appreciated. Do I need exact information about my great grandparents in order to locate my grandfather's Italian birth certificate (that probably sounds dumb and self evident :?, but at this point, I'm pretty clueless :) )

Thanks
vj
Master
Master

Re: The Hunt For Ancestors

Post by vj »

:D Hi and welcome to the forum!

If this is your 1909 manifest, the naturalization information may be on it.

1909 manifest image
page 2

31 Dec 1909 SS Cedric, Naples to NY
Lines 18-22
Nunzia Sabatino 37, abt 1872
- last residence Sessa
- leaving no one in Italy
- destination Bristol (Bucks County) PA
- joining husband Giovanni Grimaldi
- born in Sessa
Matilda Grimaldi 11
Teresa Grimaldi 5
Mario Grimaldi 2 mos
Giovanni Grimaldi 2
- possible naturalization notation:
1-163679 3/7?/36 (District 1: Boston, MA & New Haven, CT)
505 (certificate of arrival) 3/28/36

More about manifest markings:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/occ/

Research guide for CT naturalization records:
http://www.cslib.org/natural.htm
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Sessa wrote:... Do I need exact information about my great grandparents in order to locate my grandfather's Italian birth certificate ...
Thanks
If the above manifest is the correct one, you should have enough information to write to the commune

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Sessa Aurunca
81037 SESSA AURUNCA CE
ITALY

Interactive form letter:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

If you haven’t already, you may want to check with the consulate that you will be going thru for a list of exactly which documents (& the correct format) you’ll need from Italy.
Sessa

Post by Sessa »

vj!!!! Thank you so much...I saw the notations on the manifest, but I had no idea whatsoever that they provided clues to the Naturalization process. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this forum and that you were so kind to help...I really appreciate it!

It looks like I'm good to go...if the notations indicate the beginning of Naturalization, 1936, and my mother was born in 1931, and I'm born after 1948 (1955)...I qualify through jure sanquinis.

Also, thanks for the Italian birth certificate address and information!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The "I" number in the ships manfiest for 1936 may not be directly related to citizenship but rather her Immigration file number which was assigned to her after she entered the USA at immigration offices to house her immigrant visa file and may have been added to her arrival manfiest when she applied for a landing certificate which may have been required for steps leading to naturalization.

It used to be that once a person became a US citizen her Certficate of Citizenship # would be preceeded by the letter "C" and placed in her manifest as a continuing record of her immigration. WW11 put an end to that practice so this is why you only see it on pre-war manifests. =Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

vj wrote:
Sessa wrote:... Do I need exact information about my great grandparents in order to locate my grandfather's Italian birth certificate ...
Thanks
If the above manifest is the correct one, you should have enough information to write to the commune

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Sessa Aurunca
81037 SESSA AURUNCA CE
ITALY

Interactive form letter:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

If you haven’t already, you may want to check with the consulate that you will be going thru for a list of exactly which documents (& the correct format) you’ll need from Italy.
This is the detailed address

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via XXI Luglio
CAP 81037
Sessa Aurunca (CE)
Italy

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
Sessa

Post by Sessa »

Thanks for the additional info Peter and ricbru, you guys are great.

It's exciting discovering all of these connections...kinda like making a full circle.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi, you mentioned the 1930 census.
Not sure if you’ve seen 1910.
This may help with John’s father’s information
Although the 1909 manifest states Bristol, PA, perhaps it should have been Bristol, CT?
Valarie

possible 1910 census

Home in 1910:
60 Edison Street (may be Addison near Gaylord), rents
Bristol, Hartford, Connecticut

Head John Grenalt 40, abt 1870 IT
- married 20 yrs, abt 1890
- immig 1907, Al
Wife Nunci Grenalt 40, abt 1870 IT
- 4 children
- immig 1908
Daughter Matilda Grenalt 15, abt 1895 IT
- immig 1908
Daughter Theresa Grenalt 6, abt 1904 IT
- immig 1908
Son John Grenalt 3, abt 1907 IT
- immig 1908
Son Mario Grenalt 1 2/12, abt 1908 IT
- immig 1908
Sessa

Post by Sessa »

Valarie~ It's amazing that you found them on the 1910 Census with a misspelled last name and location...I'm impressed.

I located them on the 1920 and 1930 Census', and the names were spelled correctly and they lived in Hartford (both sides of my mother's family lived in the Hartford area all their lives...except my mother, my dad worked for Travelers in Hartford, they married and transferred to Texas where my dad was from, and have been married 56 years). On both the 1920 and 1930 Census' shows Nuncia Grimaldi as Head of Household...but still married in 1920 and widowed in 1930, I wonder what happened to her husband?

Thanks again...this is really fascinating.

Bob
Sessa

Post by Sessa »

What do you think about me faxing my letter seeking a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate from the Town Hall in Sessa Aurunca versus mailing it?

I found a fax number, and I was just thinking it might be more efficient and less expense to them to internet fax or email me a copy? Would a faxed or emailed copy be sufficient for the Italian Consulate in proving jure sanquinis ?

Thanks.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Valarie~ It's amazing that you found them on the 1910 Census with a misspelled last name and location...I'm impressed.
I found that the 1900 and 1910 Census was the worst for mis spelled names. This would be natural since so many were illiterate and many surnames new to the country.

I have faxed a few requests over to the town halls and have been successful but mainly because I always had someone follow up for me. Faxes are more reliable then emails.

Snail mail has worked best for me though. The town halls usually respond with in 30 days unless they haven't received the information but it can take up to a few months to receive the response. This is why it's important to follow up with them whenever possible. (This wonderful tip comes from member Riccardo and has not failed yet!)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Sessa

Post by Sessa »

Thanks for the response Nuccia...I like the sound of your name, is the name Nuccia related to Nunzia?

On the issue of following up a request to Italy, how would one go about doing that? A phone call (in english?...I'm sure that would go over well 8O ), email, someone in Italy?

Also, is there a way to send money to the Town Hall in euros without a lot of fees or hoops to jump through? I read something about some kind of coupon but I can't find where I read it...

Take care,
Bob
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Bob..

No, Nuccia is just a nickname that was tacked onto the end of my real name (Erminia) to say I was the youngest one in the family with that name. There were three of us named Erminia..my grandmother, cousin and myself.

Hmm..calling the comune should be done by an Italian speaking person. Now, you DON'T have to call them. Only call if you think that they haven't received your request. Maybe then we can figure something out.

As for money..I would not send any regardless of what you may have heard. While the clerks are poorly paid, it is their job to provide the records free of charge. If you snail mail the request and want, you can enclose a SASE but again, this is not necessary. I have done it a few times and the rest I haven't. I have been successful both ways.

Forget the international reply coupons. They are hard to get, have an expiry date and many comuni do not even bother trying to cash them anymore because they either don't know what to do with them or it's too much trouble. It's not worth it.

Hope I have answered all your questions. If not, please let me know.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Sessa

Post by Sessa »

Nuccia~ You answered everything and I thank you.

This forum is a treasure trove of accurate information and insight, with really nice and helpful people...I'm very pleased I found y'all. I hope at some point I might have something to contribute...so far I'm needy. :wink:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thats nice to hear Bob!

We are always here to help so let us know how it goes. I don't think you're needy at all.

As for contributions..I think you already have. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database