Need Information on S.Giorgio

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
JeanR
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Need Information on S.Giorgio

Post by JeanR »

Maurizio,

What a kind offer. I hope some day to be in a position to accept it.

Jean
SNorwood

Post by SNorwood »

Jean -
Hello! I have been researching my Allaria family and the only thing out there I have found is your blog! I tried to get ahold of you on there, but was unsuccessful, and then I found this tonight. Our Allria's settled in Houghton Co. and worked in the mines. From the census records I have found, there are a number of immigration dates listed and I can't nail down a year. My direct relatives are: Guiseppe (Joseph) Allaria (b. 1878 in Italy) and his wife Maria Cottone Allaria (b. 1887 in Italy). My grandmother, Theresa Allaria was born in Franklyn Twp., MI in 1910 so I know they were here by then. I have not been able to find any immigration records for either of them. I recently obtained a copy of Joseph's death certificate from California and his father is listed as Massimo. I know that the Massimo from your blog (Pietro's nephew) is too young to be Joseph's father. However, on the Ellis Island Passenger List, there is a Massimo and Maria listed. Both have matching birthdates to my ancestors. Do you think that Joseph used his father's name? Is this an Italian thing to do? Do you have any more information on Massimo and Maria? I appreciate any information you may have. I have found only brick walls with these two. Thanks for all of your help so far!
Sarah
JeanR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JeanR »

I'm glad you found my blog. If you left a message, it's probably the one that didn't leave me a way to get back in touch.

As to your question "Do you think that Joseph used his father's name? Is this an Italian thing to do?" It's very possible. I don't know if it's an "Italian thing" but it sure seemed to be common in my family tree. Every living and past generation has a John, Margaret, Joseph, etc. in it. I'm sorry I can't help you with more information on Massimo and Maria. But I can tell you the people at this website are marvelous and gifted at helping to point you in the right direction to find information.

My niece spent the past 6 weeks in Italy, found our ancestor home and even met a woman she thinks is related. I can't wait to see my niece in a few weeks to 'debrief' her. She's bringing me a rock from our ancestor home. I'm excited about that! She's not really into genealogy but I'm hoping she brought back some new information. I sent a family tree with her so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If she does have new information, I'll blog it here:
http://riva-alaria.blogspot.com/