Bordessa Family, Garzeno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
garryswilliams

Bordessa Family, Garzeno

Post by garryswilliams »

I am tyring to find any information about my ancestors, who originate from Garzeno, Lombardia. Pietro Gaspare Bordessa was born in 1800, then moved to Chester, UK, in mid 1820's. Another relative has managed to obtain a photo copy of his baptism record, stating his father as Giacomo Bordessa, and mother as Elizabetta Fomasi. The record is in Latin, and the priest only translated minimal information.

Due to the obvious early date of Pietro's birth, how possible will it be to find more information about his parents, or other relatives?

It appears that Bordessa is a rare name. I have found other Bordessa's originating from Italy and moving to UK, but are not related as far as I can see to Pietro. Some of Pietro's descendants, then emigrated to Australia and Canada. In fact I have come across a Charleti Bordessa in Canada, who's birth place was also Garzeno, so it's likely that he was is some way related to Pietro. There are also a number of Bordessa's, currently living in California, USA. However, I have as yet, not traced any connection.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Garry
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Bordessa Family, Garzeno

Post by wldspirit »

There doesn't appear to be microfilm available for that time period,
and it was before civil registration was required. Your only option would be to consult parish records, which can go back quite extensively.
The question would be how willing is the priest to take on the research.
You may want to test the waters by sending a request, if you recieve no reply, hiring a professional in Italy may be neccesary.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
garryswilliams

Post by garryswilliams »

Thank you wldspirit, I figured it was not going to be easy.

I was told that the priest was helpful, although he was only looking for the record concerning Pietro Gaspare Bordessa. The lack of a full translation would suggest that he would not be too happy in any extensive research.

Have you any ideas as to how much hiring a professional Italian Researcher would cost? I presume I would also be limited to English speaking researchers.

Garry
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Why not ask the priest to recommend someone to research his church records if that meets with his approval. Garzeno micorfilm records go back to 1866 which means that anyone in your family born after that year would have his parents names listed bringing you back to 1845- 20 years per generation for their approximate births which would be the starting off point for research working backwards.

It used to be that the Mormon church recommended $15.00 to church people for simple record checks several/many years ago so I would imagine the ante has gone up a bit. Please keep us posted.=Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I do not know of any researchers in that particular area, and I would imagine you need someone relatively close. Different researchers charge different rates. Peter's suggestion is an excellent one, this way the priest can recommend someone he knows and trust with the records which can be quite delicate given their age!!

The following sites may be of interest to you in deciphering the Latin language:

Latin Genealogical Word List

Latin

Catholic Encyclopedia

hope this helps somewhat...
wldspirit

garryswilliams

Post by garryswilliams »

Peter and wldspirit, thank you both for your valuable input. At least I now have some ideas where to start.

Garry
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Your very welcome!! :D

If you do recieve any documents, or have any now, feel free to post them in our translation section, we have quite a few members who are more than willing to help out with translations.

happy hunting!!
wldspirit

jacamerica

Post by jacamerica »

I just received a response from the very helpful and prompt "reverendo padre" at the parish church SS Pietro e Paolo in Garzeno (via Roma 1). I inquired (in italian, by letter) whether there was any record of my g-g-grandfather of a specific name that I supplied, born on a date certain in 1836 that I supplied, had been baptized in his church. Within 10 days, he emailed a response confirming the baptism, the same birthdate as my g-g-grandfather, and the parents' names, and the father's matches my g-g-grandfather's first-born son's. Since before this inquiry, I was only guessing at my g-g-grandfather's italian name (changed somewhat in America), and had found records only that he was born in Lombardia, and family stories said he came "from Lake Como," I was very excited to find my g-g-grandfather on my first letter to Italy (but it did take some detective work and deduction! A British woman whose parents come from Garzeno is supplying me with names of italian and english-speaking Garzeno residents who might help with genealogical research. I will pass on the info.
garryswilliams

Post by garryswilliams »

Jacamerica, wonderful to hear of you're success, especially since it was the first letter you've sent. Maybe the 'reverendo padre' is more helpful than is was led to believe.

It would certainly be an advantage to know an english speaking Garzeno resident, willing to help with genealogical research. I look forward to any information you can pass on in this regard.

I wish you all the success in your continued search for your Italian roots.

Garry
dbord

Post by dbord »

Hi, See you are interested in Pietro Gaspare Bordessa, born 1800 who lived in Chester and died in 1873. He was my great great great grandfather. Would be very interested in any information his birth certificate shows, if you are able to share this. Email contact would be prefered and would probably be easier. I live in North Wales. dbord
bordessa

Post by bordessa »

Hello there! I joined this forum because of this thread.

My ancestor John Bordessa was born in Como around the 1820s and fetched up in London by the 1850s
bordessa

Post by bordessa »

Garry, are you aware of this?:

Naturalisation Papers: Bordessa, Pietro Gaspare, from Austria. Certificate 391 issued 22 May 1846. National Archives:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... 2008-08-08

Unfortunately, I haven't got the same for John Bordessa :cry:
clairebordessa

Post by clairebordessa »

Hiya.
Im Claire Bordessa, I live in the UK. Ive been doing bits to my family tree for some time but never really looked into it properly.
I have just discovered that my great great great great grandparents were Giacomo Bordessa and Elizabetta Fomasi. Any information anybody has would be great.
Thanks.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Civil records for Como Province have been scanned and posted to Ancestry.com, which means that those of us with Garzeno origins have easy access to birth/death/marriage records going back to the mid-19th Century. Many libraries in North America have a subscription to Ancestry, and maybe the same is true in the UK. If you haven't explored those records yet, I'd recommend you do so. Good luck.
Saluti,
Jerry
JenD1972

Post by JenD1972 »

Hello from Chester. Only just found your post. Pietro Bordessa was my great great great grandfather. His grave and that of his wife, son and daughter-in-law lies in Overleigh Cemetery in Chester. I have the grave number and am currently trying to locate the actual grave.
My mother’s maiden name was Bordessa.
We’ve been looking into our family tree over lockdown. Please get in touch if you want more information .