Missing Italian POW found - Trento Ventura

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
henniep

Missing Italian POW found - Trento Ventura

Post by henniep »

I previously posted that I was looking for Trento Valente who worked on our grandfather's farm in South Africa during WWII.

I have found his records in the archives in South Africa: His name is Trento Ventura, born 4 November 1918 in Orbetello, living in Rome before leaving for war.

He was sent from South Africa to the UK on 23 May 1944.

Can anyone help? UK records of Italian POWs? Did they all return to Italy? How can I find family in Italy / UK?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Missing Italian POW found - Trento Ventura

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 7 persons surnamed Ventura in Orbetello 58015 , Province of Grosseto, Toscana region who are most likely relatives. You might wish to write to the Uffico di Anagrafe (census office) for information as to his whereabouts in Orbetello.

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html for italian language form letters for this request.

Further if you wish to write to any or all of the 7 persons surnamed ventura inthe town then you might want to modify a possible relative letter and send one copy to each of the ventura's listed in the local directory at www.paginebianche.it putting in Ventura in the first line and Orbetello in the second line and click CERCA for all 7 by name,address and telephone number.

You might also wish to attempt to obtain personnel files for former Italian POWs in Rome and obtain his complete miltary record with a gap for his capture to his repatriation. Fior each of the above you will need to send a letter of authorization along with a copy of your ID to show relationship. Since you are not a relative it is problematical as to whether you can obtain any record. =Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

henniep wrote:I previously posted that I was looking for Trento Valente who worked on our grandfather's farm in South Africa during WWII.

I have found his records in the archives in South Africa: His name is Trento Ventura, born 4 November 1918 in Orbetello, living in Rome before leaving for war.

He was sent from South Africa to the UK on 23 May 1944.

Can anyone help? UK records of Italian POWs? Did they all return to Italy? How can I find family in Italy / UK?
Hello,
I suggest you to write to Orbetello civil record office, and to request a copy of his birth record, where there is eventually annotated his marriage and his death (if any)
This is the address

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza del Plebiscito, 1
CAP 58015
Orbetello (GR)
Italy

You can also write to Rome population registry office to see if he was after WWII a resident of Rome

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Petroselli 50
00186 Roma
Italy

You can also find out what happened to him at the end of the war and check on his military record
This is where to write it

Distretto Militare
Via Dalla Chiesa Generale Carlo Alberto, 2
00192 Roma (RM), Italy

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
henniep

Post by henniep »

Peter, thanks for the suggestion of sending letters. I did that - and located his daughter via a cousin who received the letter.