can anyone please translate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jolynn
Elite
Elite

can anyone please translate

Post by jolynn »

hello, can anyone translate this from birth record, man-ueto e catterina ma -saro, the hyphonns look like long scrawley f,s, also e compars man-ueto marandola figli di stefano ------ di anni trento di proffesione carbriere, the last e is curly, thankyou, regards, john
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: can anyone please translate

Post by Sirena »

john,
can you post what you are looking at? many times those curly f's are s or double ss.

mansueto and catterina massaro and also appeared mansueto marandola son of stefano ..30 years old and a ?? by profession.

the profession could be capriao if you said it is curly on the end.....goatherd
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, i have not got the film with me, the professione could also read caubiere, it is so difficult to read, thanks, john p.s. is mansueto a first name?
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

John,
I've heard of it here. I don't know if it was common in Italy but it's like Manuel...manny.
Maybe the profession could also be carabiniere - national police officer (as opposed to local)
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, thanks for that, i will try and photograph the record and post it, if any one has any further thoughts i would be grateful. thankyou sirena for your help it is appriciated, kind regards, john
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jolynn wrote:hello, thanks for that, i will try and photograph the record and post it, if any one has any further thoughts i would be grateful. thankyou sirena for your help it is appriciated, kind regards, john
The images on this page can be very helpful. For an even more complete view, check out the "Section A: Italian Handwriting" on this page.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

It could be:

Mansueto e Caterina Massaro...
...è comparso Mansueto Marandola figlio di Stefano di anni trenta di professione carabiniere

Luca
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, thanks guys, i beleive it was my great grandmothers birth record, the childs name was rosa maria antonia marandola, the parents would be manssueto marandola and caterina massaro, would there also be mansueto,s fathers name on the record which would be stefano ? that would then have three generations on one certificate. is that normal. it was 1854. any further help appriciated, regards, john
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Yes, that is normal.

Birth records would include the name of the person reporting or registering the birth (usually the father of the child or the mid wife who delivered the child), and the mother's full name (maiden name) and their ages when the child was born. It would also include at least two names at the bottom of the act who acted as witnesses. Often, but not always, these persons were related to the family somehow.

If you get lucky, it could include the names of the grandfathers of both the mother and father and if they were alive(di) or deceased (fu) at the time of the child's birth.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello nuccia, thankyou for that, i am slowly putting the pieces together. the FHL films are quite difficult to read but are very interesting. are you well and did you have a nice christmas. well thanks again and take care, regards, john