Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Dear Chesire send an e-mail to STAFFDELCONSIGLIO@COMUNE.BOLOGNA.IT, preferably in Italian requesting information as to her birth in that city but you have to have an approximate date of birth. They may give you an address to write to and I have already sent you the form kletters in Italian. =Peter=
- cheshire1974
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 08 Dec 2008, 16:26
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Thanks Again!
I'll get onto that straight away. I have an exact birth date too, she was born on the 14th May 1923, so that may help matters.
=Cheshire=
I'll get onto that straight away. I have an exact birth date too, she was born on the 14th May 1923, so that may help matters.
=Cheshire=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
It certainly will but Bologna has to be her place of birth since most records in Italy are inthe city,town or village of origin!!!=Peter=
- cheshire1974
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 08 Dec 2008, 16:26
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Hi!
It's me again. I'm just wondering how long it will take to receive some kind of email reply from the staffdelconsiglio. I sent an email, over 3 weeks ago to staffdelconsiglio@commune.bologna.it but haven't heard anything.
Cheers
It's me again. I'm just wondering how long it will take to receive some kind of email reply from the staffdelconsiglio. I sent an email, over 3 weeks ago to staffdelconsiglio@commune.bologna.it but haven't heard anything.
Cheers
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
My paternal grandparent's comune (80 km south of Roma, about 7500 residents) has never, ever, responded to written letters (three of them) or to emails (three of them as well). Even my letter to the sindaco (Mayor) went ignored.cheshire1974 wrote:Hi!
It's me again. I'm just wondering how long it will take to receive some kind of email reply from the staffdelconsiglio. I sent an email, over 3 weeks ago to staffdelconsiglio@commune.bologna.it but haven't heard anything.
Cheers
When I visited the comune for a day nearly two years ago, I stopped in the ufficio stato civile and requested my grandparent's birth and marriage certificates. After a cursory look through the books there in the office, they said they would have to "go to where the old records are kept" and promised to mail copies to me within a few weeks.
I waited two months, then sent the first formal request by mail. I could go on but it hardly seems worthwhile...
The gist of the story is, some people have had very good luck contacting comuni for records, others have not done nearly so well. The much smaller comune of my maternal grandparents (Malvito, Cosenza province of Calabria), for example, responded to each of my requests within two weeks.
- uantiti
- Elite

- Posts: 405
- Joined: 11 Jun 2008, 16:52
- Location: Piedmont (Biella) & Veneto (Venice), Italy
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Hi,
you can get in touch directly with the Birth Register Office in the city hall in Bologna.
Click on the link here below and scroll down until you'll find UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE - Servizio Nascite/Cittadinanze and click on the e-mail address.
Comune Bologna
Bologna is a big town and it might take a long time before you get an answer, so be patient.
Ada
you can get in touch directly with the Birth Register Office in the city hall in Bologna.
Click on the link here below and scroll down until you'll find UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE - Servizio Nascite/Cittadinanze and click on the e-mail address.
Comune Bologna
Bologna is a big town and it might take a long time before you get an answer, so be patient.
Ada
- cheshire1974
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 08 Dec 2008, 16:26
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Thanks for the helpfull information. I'm going to keep pressing on, if anything doesn't come from the emails I'll have to think about saving my pennies and going to Bologna in person. Cheers =cheshire1974=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Well if you do I know a nice OZ girl studying there and I can give you her name and address if you wish!!! =peter=
~Peter~
- cheshire1974
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 08 Dec 2008, 16:26
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Thank you!
I've just received an email from the commune in Bologna so fingers crossed! If I do have to go to Bologna though it will probably be next year because I'm heading off to South Korea in a couple of weeks, and will be working there for 12 months.
=Cheshire1974=
I've just received an email from the commune in Bologna so fingers crossed! If I do have to go to Bologna though it will probably be next year because I'm heading off to South Korea in a couple of weeks, and will be working there for 12 months.
=Cheshire1974=
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Where to start my search - it's been a long time!
Don't forget to take your pith helmet with you so that you can get a role in an oriental picture of englishmen in rickshaws with a swagger stick under their arms shoo=shooing the natives as it were. =Peter=
~Peter~