FAMILY NAME ORGOGLIOSI NEED HELP!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

FAMILY NAME ORGOGLIOSI NEED HELP!!!

Post by justinfrombklyn »

hi a while ago i posted a message about a family coat of arms document of the surname urgola

i have found out that the name originally was orgogliosi of forli in the 1200's they are in history books and all but i want to know if anyone in italy can do some searching for people with that last name from forli or if anyone is still living there

i believe the name orgogliosi was shorted down to urgola

thank you

justin
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: FAMILY NAME ORGOGLIOSI NEED HELP!!!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

justinfrombklyn wrote:hi a while ago i posted a message about a family coat of arms document of the surname urgola

i have found out that the name originally was orgogliosi of forli in the 1200's they are in history books and all but i want to know if anyone in italy can do some searching for people with that last name from forli or if anyone is still living there

i believe the name orgogliosi was shorted down to urgola

thank you

justin
Visiting both the Italian telephone directory and this surname mapping tool and entering "orgogliosi" in the cognome field of each indicates that there is *no one* anywhere in Italy today with that name (nor with "urgola" for that matter).

Frankly, this leads me to believe that you may not have the spelling correct just yet, although it is also possible that the family has simply died out (sorry).

PS: Amazingly, there does not seem to be *anyone* in the comune of Forli whose name begins with "o".
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is no listing for Orgogliosi, Urgola or anything connected with the surnames. It is either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. The word orgogliosi means Proud as in "we are proud" =Peter=
~Peter~
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Orgoglioso is an actual Italian word with several meanings:

or|go|gliò|so

1a che ha una smodata considerazione di sé: un uomo o. e arrogante
Who has an excessive consideration of himself: an arrogant man

1b che denota superbia, orgoglio: un comportamento.
indicating arrogance; pride; haughtiness: a behaviour.

2 fiero: era o. della sua vittoria, un paese o. delle sue tradizioni
Proud: of his victory, a country or of his traditions...

So it could be that in the 1200's they used that word as a family description - probably (hopefully) that at No. 2 above...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba you never know how words were viewed or interpreted at that time...Like music to this day no one knows for sure what the tempo was when they used words like adagio, andante, allegro, lento etc in the 18th century what with horses and walking concepts change. =Peter=
~Peter~
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

i have looked up google book search for orgogliosi orgoglioso and aregogliosi which i think is the first written down way of spelling it and the family is one of the earliest familes from forli and was lords in the 1200's and had castles

how can i find out if they are directly related to me is there names and dates listed in these books ?

i cant understand italian that well so if someone can give me a little info from the books that speak about superbo orgogliosi and giovanni which are the original men from that family

they possible could be my gggggg grandfather?

thanks a lot

justin

heres the link

http://books.google.com/books?lr=&spell ... arch+Books
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

any luck any body?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

You ask, I think a good but difficult question. Unless you actually work backwards, I am not sure how you would proceed. No one will be able to confirm the name otherwise and I doubt that unless you are sure, you want to follow a dead lead. Going that far back is not going to be easy and you may need to actually hire a researcher since it would involve (I assume) Church records and such). Please make sure before you do this.
I think your best bet would be to find an article or piece that you would like translated (please not a whole book though :lol: ) and place the text here or on the translation board. Perhaps some one can then translate it for you.

Have you tried the links at www.familysearch.org for your town and the surname to see if there any microfilms with the history of the Comune listed?

Sorry..not sure this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

nuccia wrote:You ask, I think a good but difficult question. Unless you actually work backwards, I am not sure how you would proceed. No one will be able to confirm the name otherwise and I doubt that unless you are sure, you want to follow a dead lead. Going that far back is not going to be easy and you may need to actually hire a researcher since it would involve (I assume) Church records and such). Please make sure before you do this.
I think your best bet would be to find an article or piece that you would like translated (please not a whole book though :lol: ) and place the text here or on the translation board. Perhaps some one can then translate it for you.

Have you tried the links at www.familysearch.org for your town and the surname to see if there any microfilms with the history of the Comune listed?

Sorry..not sure this helps.
Nuccia's suggestion is indeed a sensible way forward. The 'clips' from various pages that you posted are difficult to follow as you're never sure if they really are related without seeing the entire document/book. For many, their time is too precious to have to loose it on following a 'dead end'... sorry :cry:

If you CAN find a document then post it by all means - I'm sure one of us will try and help!

Good Luck.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Elba I have found of late that many of the more valuable and informative heraldic sites are being withdrawn and either diappearing or being absorbed by commercial outfits intermixed with other items. Apparently the best way to got now is to purchase the Italy Balsonico or stumble across something. =Peter=
~Peter~
Jennifernicoleurg

Post by Jennifernicoleurg »

My family name is Urgola.. I'm having no luck finding information on my family:(