NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vienna

NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION

Post by vienna »

This is my first time trying this so any help and wishes of LUCK would be great.

Looking for information on Ernest Barbano, born 1904 St Galen Switzerland, trying to find out anything, parents, grandparents, siblings, birth certificate, etc. Came to the USA via White Star Line 1924. Journey started from Basil possibly, through Liverpool then to Montreal. I honesty do not know where to begin, where to look for anything.

Any help, guidance, information would be great. THANKS!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: NEED HELP FINDING INFORMATION

Post by nuccia »

So researching 101..crash course which I hope you will find helpful.

Well to begin with, you should start with yourself and work backwards writing everything you know down. If you have any older relatives living then I would interview them (informally of course) and take notes. I know between my mother and my great aunt I picked up all kinds of clues.

Next I would download some free forms to chart everything down like a

Family Group Chart and group the families in your tree.

A Pedigree Chart or Ancestral Chart is also useful and can be downloaded here:

http://www.misbach.org/pdfcharts/

You may find you need a software program so there is a free one offered at the LDS site :

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Ok..now that the boring stuff is out of the way, you will want to start looking for records..ship manifest, naturalization records, census anything and everything that you can find out about his residence in North America.

Best to start with free sites like:

Ellis Island or the site at Steve Morse which has a much better search engine. You will need to register a username and password but access is free. Search using variation of name apelling or by the first three letters of the last name and/or first initial. Also search by town of births...play with it. It's very interesting and since he arrived in 1924 you may be able to find something since the records available go up to 1924.

Otherwise you will have to register at www.ancestry.com which is a subscription site. Hopefully you can use this as a last resort since it can be expensive. When you're ready to try it, you can sign up on a trial basis for 14 days and research like mad, then cancel before the expiry date or pay for a term subscription...your choice.

Also make sure to bookmark these pages which you may find useful down the road..

Pagine Bianche or Italian White Pages

Italian Surname Locator

Next post of message boards, such as this one, enter your surname into surname databases, and research at the Famliy History Libraries in your area. Before doing this, lets see if we can help you locate anything here.

Hope this helped answer some of your question on guidance and information. Now to tackle help...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I didn't find anything on the ellis island site but thanks to a friend, I was able to locate this on ancestry:

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
about Ernest Otto Barbano
Name: Ernest Otto Barbano
Arrival Date: 17 Aug 1925
Birth Date: 19 Jul ??04
Birthplace: St Gall
Birth Country: Switzerland

Port of Arrival: Buffalo, USA
Departure Contact: Fa Louis- Father is Louis.
Arrival Contact: Friend H Degenreng
Record has photo?: No

Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2008.

nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

In the 1930 Census he is listed with his wife Agnes. Its interesting that it states his father was born at sea and his mother in Switzerland and he spoke German prior to entering the USA.

1930 United States Federal Census
about Ernest O Barbano
Name: Ernest O Barbano
Home in 1930: Compton, Los Angeles, California
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Birthplace: Switzerland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Agnes G
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Ernest O Barbano 25
Agnes G Barbano 26

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Compton, Los Angeles, California; Roll: 125; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 877; Image: 801.0.

California has deaths and births online so need to check those for clues.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Agnes obituary..unfortunately again from ancestry..

Agnes G. Barbano
Agnes G. Barbano died December 28, 2003, at her home in Peoria, Arizona. She was 101. Born to J. Henry and Mary (Edwards-Gantner) Stretz, September 19, 1902 in Boonville, MO, she married Ernest Barbano on September 19, 1927. They moved to California in 1929, relocating to Phoenix in 1976 to be near their family. She is survived by two sons, Duane, of Cave Creek, Arizona, and Jon of Dewey, Arizona, several nieces, nephews, grand and great-grand children, and one great-great grandchild. She was preceded in death by her husband, Ernest, and a grandson, Roy Merdanian in 1994, and a son, Gerald, in 1998. Memorial services were held on Saturday, January 3, 2004 at SonRise Community Church, 29505 N. Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale. The family suggests memorial contributions be made to SonRise Church building fund, 29505 N. Scottsdale Rd., Scottsdale, AZ 85262; or Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.
Published in the Arizona Republic on 1/9/2004.

And of course Ernest in the SSDI:

Social Security Death Index
about Ernest O. Barbano
Name: Ernest O. Barbano
SSN: 554-xx-xxxx
Last Residence: 85022 Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona, United States of America
Born: 19 Jul 1904
Died: 7 Jun 1994
State (Year) SSN issued: California (Before 1951)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

His ship Manifest...all in German so I can't read it but it pretty much says the same as the extraction. I will attempt to link ...

Ãœberseeische Auswanderungen aus der Schweiz, 1910-1953 Swiss Overseas Emigration, 1910-1953
about Ernst Barbano
Name: Ernst Barbano
Birth Year: 1904
Place of Origin: Oberhelfenschwil, St. Gallen, Schweiz (Switzerland)
Last Residence: Oberhelfenschwil, St. Gallen, Schweiz (Switzerland)
Departure Date: Mai 1924 (May 1924)
Port of Departure: Liverpool
Port of Arrival: Montreal
Source: Auswanderungsamt und Auswanderungsbüro. Überseeische Auswanderungen aus der Schweiz, 1910-1953. Schweizerisches Bundesarchiv. E 2175 - 2, Band 32.

Possible relative?

Ãœberseeische Auswanderungen aus der Schweiz, 1910-1953 Swiss Overseas Emigration, 1910-1953
about Maria Barbano
Name: Maria Barbano
Birth Year: 1903
Place of Origin: Oberhelfensch, St. Gallen, Schweiz (Switzerland)
Last Residence: St Gallen, St. Gallen, Schweiz (Switzerland)
Departure Date: Mrz 1928 (Mar 1928)
Port of Departure: Venedig
Port of Arrival: Mersina; As
Source: Auswanderungsamt und Auswanderungsbüro. Überseeische Auswanderungen aus der Schweiz, 1910-1953. Schweizerisches Bundesarchiv. E 2175 - 2, Band 41.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
vienna

Post by vienna »

post deleted
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thank you for the kind words. It was my pleasure to help. But now we need to get you to the next step

I have never done much German genealogy before so lets hope I can steer you in the right direction.

An excellent place to start could be our sister German Forum located here:

http://german.genealogyforum.eu/

I know Nonna J is great with German genealogy.

The LDS has films for Oberhelfenschwil
Topic Switzerland, Sankt Gallen, Oberhelfenschwil - Church records
Titles Kirchenbuch, 1635-1973 Katholische Kirche Oberhelfenschwil (Sankt Gallen)

Kirchenbuch, 1694-1921 Evangelisch-Reformierte Kirche Oberhelfenschwil (Sankt Gallen)

You can find more information at
Family Search

Using the drop down menu, go to Library->Library Catologue

Then click the icon that says place search and enter Oberhelfenschwil

The link will appear and you can continue click reading through the information. The film numbers will be in there as well. You can also locate a FHC near you using the same drop down icon.

Bookmark this site because you will find it very useful for many things. If you register with the site, you will also have access to many records (some provided on ancestry for a fee will be free here).

You may also want to visit the drop down menu that has Research -> Guidance and see the German links. They could be useful in helping you understand what you are reading.

And again, don't forget to try the Public Library. Ask if you can use your library to access records and certain sites from home. Some even have access to ancestry or Find My Past or [url=http://www,footnote.com]Footnote[/url]. The first site has ship manifests and such for England, the other for US Nauralization records. Both are subscription sites.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database