Matrimoni Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Beantown

Matrimoni Records

Post by Beantown »

Would some please explain the differences betweeen these types of records or documents:

Matrimoni

Allegati Matrmoniali
Pubblicazioni
Indice Decennale Matrimoni

Thank you
apiapibij

Re: Matrimoni Records

Post by apiapibij »

Matrimoni: The marriage act made for the civil state.
Allegati: The documents the spouses have to submit (birthacts, permission of parents if spoouses are minor and parents do not attend the ceremony, death acts of parents etc. They are also called "Processetti".
Pubblicazioni: Publication of banns
Indice decennale: Index of the marriages for a certain period of ten years of the marriages in a certain town.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Ben! Glad to see you participating here. Please feel free to add your website to your signature. Its an excellent site! :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

Thank you Nuccia, but after rereading the text i feel ashamed about the many mistakes it contains. Next time I will reread and correct the text before posting!
This morning I had a long chat in German with a German friend who lives here in Bova. Than I had a phonecall in Dutch with my son in Holland, in the meantime I spoke Italian when I went through the village and just an hour ago I sent three emails in French to my wives' cousins over there. *sigh*
Why did we loose the use of Latin? It would be so easy if we all spoke one language!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Wow......you speak four languages!! And yet I struggle with Italian...
I have managed words, but to string those words together in sentence form,
no way.... :oops:

I would love to see your site!!

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Lee

I am going to post the link to Ben's site..

www.benvanrijswijk.com

It's amazing. Scroll down on the bar on the left to see all the different generations. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

Thank you again Nuccia. I could not find where I can add the websites in my profile so they show here. Anyway, allthough my American genealogyfriend Dave Pol translated some documents in English (f.e. here: http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/genealogi ... 4nr163.htm and here: http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/genealogi ... 4nr210.htm) it is all in Dutch so I thought it was not that interesting.
Mr. Beantown, yesterday I took pictures of a nice example of an "indice decennale". If you are interested, I will post it somewhere. Just let me know.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

It's funny you ask me that now. I found two really important indice decennales to my research today on microfilm (one for births and one for marriages).

Unfortunately, none of the for birth or marriage records were on any of the microfilm for specifically the years I need.

One of them looks to be my link to the country (Great Grandfather). It's quite promising (if the record beyond index can be found) as the name, location and birth year are all correct. Also, the name was not common in the records.

The other find looks very possibly to be his father's marriage.

It looks like I'll be sending letters to San Severo and/or the Archives in Foggia once I decide specifically I want to request and get them translated.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

If you're in my situation, all you have are the birth (1892 San Severo) and marriage (1884 San Severo) indice decennales and you really want to know more about the individual event and the family what would you request?

I guess at least part of the answer is easy as I absolutely need the full birth extract so that would be one request.

Has anyone been to the particular Archives in Foggia? Just curious just on case I make the trip there.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

wldspirit wrote:Wow......you speak four languages!!

wldspirit
Lee, I counted 5: English, German, Dutch, French and Italian! :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Apiapbij I am equally impressed with your command of the several languages mentioned above. My wife taught Latin and we discussed the use of Latin as a common lingua franca but she pointed out that you can write in Latin but alas we would have to speak a latin Vulgate. Consequently it would only be a matter of time until the vulgate would evolve into speaking Italian, french, Spanish and some part of Romanian and a host of local dialects spoken thruout Latin europe. =Peter=
~Peter~
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

/off topic
Peter, you (or your wife) might be right. But British, Americans, Australians and South-Africans after more then a hundred years still understand each other. During the Middle Ages language was no problem at all (at least I never noticed it) because Latin was still a universal language (allthough your wife will probably deny that is was real Latin).
Also in the Austrian-Hungarian Doublemonarchy within the government the official language was Latin untill 1918.
When (in the situation I dream of) the press (radio, tv, papers) will use Latin everywhere, that could become a factor that could stop the rapid devellopment of "dialects". Dialects emerge very easy when there are isolated groups of people, but where can one be isolated nowadays?
Which Latin? I assume that your wife will know the Finnish radionet that transmit in Latin. It can also be heard on the internet: http://www.yleradio1.fi/nuntii/ I think it is a wonderful help to offer this fantastic language to young people. But it proves also that Latin is not a dead language at all.
Also the Vatican every year publishes a list of new terms translated in Latin.

/on topic
How glad to be able to read Latin I was, when I discovered lots and lots of documents about my ancestors which were written in Latin, because many clerks used that language up untill 1600 at least in the Netherlands and here in Italy notaries up untill deep in the 19th century.
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

Beantown, I do not know if your question was directed to me. If so, I would say this:
The birth acts contain very little information. Even the age of the father and mother are mostly a guess. At least in the villages I am researching around Reggio Calabria the father was in too many cases 30, 40 of 50 years old and the mother was in too many cases 20, 30 or 40 to be true.
I would go for the marriage acts. Allthough there are no birthdates, the age of the spouses is given always correct so you know their year of birth (-1), the place of birth and both of their parents.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Your right Livio....being an American, never looked at it from the other side of the ocean, English would not be his native language......so therefor would also count..... :D
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Ben,

You are soo right. Marriage acts would definitely be the way to go. Both Cathy and Jim have told me repeatably that I should have ordered them first but I was lucky to obtain the births for my comuni in Reggio. The microfilms took almost 3 months to arrive. All but one were on back order.

I wish I could speak as many languages as you.. :)

By the way..great thread. I am enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks you all! :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database