Family History Center Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Family History Center Info

Post by donnawright »

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0

I am ready to request information from Italy. Please check out the link above. Does this mean that the Fam Hist Center has film/fiche with the civil docs I will be seeking?

Anyone with experience with their fiche?

I also noted that, when I key in Pianopoli and Pitigliano, they also have a similar link. Not sure about Pitigliano, but Pianopoli and Sorano for sure.

I have a FHC library very closeby.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Family History Center Info

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes Sorano has civil records on micorfilm at FHL nearest your home for rent but they only cover 1900 to 1910. =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Regarding your own research plan, please let me ask a question of those of you deep into your research. Regarding the FHC films: I know my dad, his brother, and sister were all born after 1900. I also know on my mother's side that three of her siblings were born in Italy after 1900. Thus, I might expect to find records. I know their birthdates from other sources.

Are you gathering original documents/extracts even though you have the information -- for the purpose of having a great and hopefully complete historical record? I asked this question at the Fam Hist Center locally and was told that I don't need records if I know the information already -- except if I am doing research for something like the DAR or other organization. Do you agree?

It is my thought that it would be absolutely fabulous to have original docs in a family book form. I haven't started a "tree" in a software program yet, but I'm sure these docs can be uploaded. How rich is that?
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html and then get back to us. =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Yep, I want the stuff. I suppose not documenting everything was this volunteer's method. Good, if it works for her. (I don't know how the previous post went up there twice. Apologize.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Donna
I find no great joy than viewing and reading each and every family document. The best part are the documents with the actual signatures of my ancestors! If you order the microfilms you must obtain a copy of Lynn Nelson's book "Genealogists Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors: How to Find and Record Your Unique Heritage". This book will tell you how to read the documents and if you do not speak much Italian it is priceless.
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

You definitely want copies of the documents. I have hundreds of copies from FHL films. Those are your proof that your information is true and accurate.

I began my searching 16 years ago. We did my father in law and my father, first. We didnt tell my husbands family what we were doing. It took us a year, for each father.

When we were done with my father in law, we finally told my husbands family. The older brother looked at us and said..there is NO way, that you can do that. Oh no? Out came my album, with all of the documents, in archival quality sheet covers and I had everything labeled with small cards. I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head.

If I didnt have that..who would believe that all of what I was saying..is true.

You need the documents.
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

Onother service some of the Family History Centers have is that you can scan the microfilm and save the file to a memory stick or other hard drive.

Then it may be better to view the images via a home computer & with windows XP you can enlarge the images.

Also, having the images at home allows you to research at your own time frame or share the files with others while you are in the learning curve.

I am currently working with several first time researchers, that have ordered films & I will teach them how to do the research.

Regards,

Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Cathynap ... my mom's dad and mother came from Pianopoli. I look forward to checking your web site as it grows.
Cathynap
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cathynap »

Donna,
Sorry but I have no plans to add any new towns now that the Archives of Cosenza Province have begun putting the records up of all towns in the province online. My Cosenza Exhange site will be gone as soon as it expires in April 2010. For now, it is still useful because most of the records on the Cosenza Exchange are not on the Archive site yet. I will probably move all the records of Montalto Uffugo over to my Montalto site (I worked so hard and spent tons of money and thousands of hours of time on it). I continue to put Montalto Uffugo records up and will complete all marriages available and I might add to Rende but nothing new besides that. This will free me up to get my Catanzaro towns online since they have no plans in doing what Cosenza has done.
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

Let me give you my personal experience too -- I started roughly back in 1995-1996 for purposes of just teaching my four sons (oops -- our four, hehe) about their papa's family. Family lives overseas - and at that point none of the boys had met anyone except for Nona on a couple of her trips. Within a short time I was researching and taking for gospel that someone in a World Bundle said a great grandmother's name was Violetta. Then a year or so later (after sharing that information with others in the family) I saw the original document via FHL film -- guess what? Her name is/was Nicoletta!!!!! Errrr -- so now I non longer take a transcriptionist word for anything - and I am now going back to keep much more detailed records opf the sources. I have the copies but am now recording WHERE I got those copies from -- if you are just starting out, do it right from the beginning -- it is easier than changing your mind later -- and your grandchildren will thank you! It's fun for us but it will be a generation removed's history and heritage! BTW now all the family in Italy and expanded family here are also involved and they appreciate the sources too so they can find their copies.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Bonnie..I agree with you. I always swore my grandfathers name was Bruno from Locri..I later find out his name was Francesco and he was born in Ardore, nicknamed Bruno and moved to Locri when he married.

There is always some hint of truth in every story but as the years go by, people forget and /or embellish. The story changes, things get fuzzy, etc. Records are the only verifying proof at that point so yes, document everything! Oh, and invest in a software program, You're going to need one. There are several free one out there. Or if you use the search function above and put in Tree Maker Program or variations, you should be able to find several posts where we have discussed them all.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

Speaking of free software that is great....I use FTM2009 but...there is also Heritage ...I love that it translates to Italian!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Do you know if Heritage is compatible with VISTA? What are the reports like? I love my FTM but its Version 16 and has compatibility issues with VISTA that is driving me nuts.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

Is this the one?

http://www.individualsoftware.com/softw ... _heritage/

I clicked the product brochure in there..its for vista. But, I dont see anything about it translating.

It looks really nice tho.

I use roots magic. It had some other name, when I first began using it..I cant recall what that was. This is about the 3rd version I bought. Its ok.

I like this heritage tho. I am going to book mark this and think about it.