FARIAS from Loreto Aprutino, Pescara, Abruzzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

FARIAS from Loreto Aprutino, Pescara, Abruzzo

Post by brru25 »

I just want to thank everyone who has been helping me in my research the last couple of weeks. Yesterday I was graciously helped in finding information on Anna D'Eustachio. Today I need help on her husband Gabriel Farias. I've actually found most of the information possible on him (without looking at the FHL yet). I would think it would be possible to find his NY manifest list on either ellisisland.org or ancestry.com but I haven't been successful. On a 1930 census report it says that he immigrated to America circa 1916 and was born in Loreto Aprutino circa 1900. He had a father named Raffaele who immigrated earlier in the century and he had two brothers named Vincenzo and Antonio. Gabriel lived in Beverly, NJ but may have also had residence in Philadelphia where his father was. Basically if I can find his manifest and possibly the name of his mother that would complete most of the research I've been doing on my mother's side of the family.

P.S. I've ordered some microfilm rolls from the FHL and I'm trying to brush up on my Italian and reading Italian (in script). I've seen examples of 19th century vital records and they look daunting for an American who can't speak/read Italian as well as he wants to. Wish me luck.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Re: FARIAS from Loreto Aprutino, Pescara, Abruzzo

Post by brru25 »

Just another tidbit. For any Americans who are are reading this (who had to learn Italian on their own) does RosettaStone work as well as advertised? I plan to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage very soon and we always talked about a honeymoon in Italy. I'd like to be able to read and speak the language so I don't feel lost or a lousy tourist (although that may be inevitable).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a companion book for the FHL micorfilm records DISCOVERING YOUR ITALIAN ANCESTORS by Lynn Nelson which you will find very useful. A magnifying glass is also handy for some of the loops and sworls of that Gay 90's handwritten script.

Insofar as learning Italian on your own or being taught by an Italian language teacher the key to learning rests with the extent of your motivation. During WW11 the classic tried and tested method was supplanted by the urgent need for people to know how to speak Italian and German and were Highly Motivated ( dying was an alternative to not speaking or knowing the language behind the lines). Thereafter learning a foreign language collapsed into handheld dictionaries and relying on foreigners to speak english.
The Rosetta method, like all the rest, requires high motivation followed by intense reading of Italian newspapers to obtain fluency and word use as well as memorization of words and grammar. Ideally if you could spend at least 6 months under these same conditons in Italy you wiould have a runninghead start in speaking and knowing the language. =Peter=
~Peter~
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Thanks Pete. I have about a week until the microfilms come in so I should probably buy that book soon.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage and honeymoon plans in Italy........by the way english is mandatory second language in schools in Italy. =Peter=
~Peter~
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Thank you! I had a feeling that most Italians spoke English. I'm not sure how hard it would be to impress the locals if I were able to speak their native tongue well. As far as the honeymoon, I'm thinking 2 weeks spread across the major cities: Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan, maybe a day in Pisa (where my last name is from). The Euro is finally coming down against the dollar. I'm praying for an even one-to-one exchange rate when it comes time to book the trips but I might be asking for too much. I think today it was at 1 EUR = $1.29
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

After a bit of searching on Ancestry, I was able to locate a 1930 census record in Beverly, NJ indexed as Ger Ferri which I believe is the one you are referring to. I also located what I believe to be his father Raffaele's 1910 census in Philadelphia which shows Raffaele as widowed. If that is the case, then Gabriele's ship manifest would not contain his mother's name since she would have been deceased previous to his immigration circa 1916. I did locate brother Vincenzo's 1907 manifest also but there was no information relative to his mother on it. Thus far, I have been unable to locate brother Antonio or Gabriele's manifest.

I also located a SSDI record for a Gabriel Farias born 21 Jan 1900, died Oct 1974 Riverside, NJ. There is a chance that his mother's first name and maiden name are on his Social Security application.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

How would I go about finding his Social Security application?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm and make your request on line or go to www.ssdi.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi and alongside the name of the person click on the SS-5 in blue for a form letter which you can mail to the social security office. The cost is about $30.00. =Peter=
~Peter~
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's the link to the SS page where you can request a copy. I'm assuming you have his SS# from Ancestry. Cost for an actual copy is $27. But remember there is no guarantee it will have his mother's name.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps7/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

Yea I understand. It's worth a try. If it doesn't have all the information I need then it's still a keepsake from my great grandfather's life. Win-Win.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

I want someone to check this Manifest for me to see if this could be him. The town of Mozzano is 50+ km from Loreto Aprutino but still in Abruzzo. The birth date and arrival date are close but not what is said on the 1930 census report so I don't have a whole lot of confidence that this is him:

Name: Gabriele Frese
Arrival Date: 21 Mar 1914
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1898
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: America
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Michele
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Mozzano, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_124

I basically did a copy and paste of the index from ancestry.com
mrwizard

Post by mrwizard »

The man you list is not the Gabriel Farias you seek. The Gabe from Beverly married my grandmother in 1957 and moved into her house in Riverside, NJ. He was born in 1900, came to this country at the age of 16, and died in 1974. His nephew owned a surf shop on LBI. His older daughter from his first marraige died about two years ago, but her daughter still lives in the area.
brru25
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brru25 »

It sounds like you know my family fairly well. Gabe's daughter, Mary, was my grandmother and her daughter is my mother. He was first married to Anna d'Eustachio of Notaresco, Teramo, Italy. I have Gabe's birth record from Italy. I just don't think that his passenger records exists because I couldn't find it anywhere.