Help with info from an Ancestry record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Help with info from an Ancestry record

Post by donnawright »

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... &gst=&so=3

Can you provide any details on that Frank Tomaine record? Very first one. Potential family whose death info is not known to me. This might be it.

Thank you.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Help with info from an Ancestry record

Post by wldspirit »

Here you go Donna......hope it helps!!

Elizabeth Tomaine February 25, 2005

Published: Sunday, February 27, 2005
Updated: Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:00 AM EST
Born in Scranton, daughter of the late Arthur and Mary Godshalk Tonkin, she was a retail manager at Western Auto Store, Mayfield, before retiring. She was very generous with children's foundations.

Surviving are a daughter, Cynthia Krupski, Scranton; three sons, Barry Waluda, Hartford, Conn.; Stanley Waluda, Honduras, and William Waluda, Mayfield; a sister, Gail Capwell, Scranton; eight grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews.

She was preceded in death by a sister, Dorothy Leuthe, and a grandson, William Waluda Jr.

A memorial service will be held Monday at 2:30 p.m. in the Battenberg Funeral Home, 363 Washington Ave., Jermyn, by the Rev. Fred Snyder, pastor, First United Methodist Church, Jermyn. Cremation was in Maple Hill at Salem Crematory, Archbald.

Friends may call Monday, 2 p.m. until time of service. Memorial contributions may be made to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northeastern Pennsylvania, 216 N. River St., Wilkes-Barre; or the Ronald McDonald House, 332 Wheeler Ave.

Elizabeth Tomaine February 25, 2005
Elizabeth Tomaine, Mayfield, died Friday in Mid Valley Hospital, Peckville. She was the widow of Frank Tomaine.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

SSDI record for Frank Tomaine:
Name: Frank Tomaine
SSN: 175-01-xxxx
Born: 22 Aug 1920
Last Benefit: 18433 Jermyn, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Died: Nov 1977
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

WWII Army Enlistment Record:
Name: Frank J Tomaine
Birth Year: 1920
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: Italy
Enlistment Date: 29 Dec 1943
Enlistment State: Pennsylvania
Enlistment City: Wilkes Barre

1930 census
Name: Frank Tomaine
Home in 1930: Carbondale, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1921
Nativity: Italy
Immigration: 1921
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Name: Petro
Mother's Name: Theresa

Household Members: Name Age
Petro Tomaine 35
Theresa Tomaine 33
Frank Tomaine 9
John Tomaine 7
Antionette Tomaine 5
Josephine Tomaine 1

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1921 manifest for Francesco Tomaino with parents Pietro Tomaino and mother Teresa.
Last residence: Carlopoli
Place of birth: San Pietro (most likely San Pietro Apostolo)
Destination: Carbondale PA to join mother Teresa's father Giovanni Ferrarro at 76 Fallbrook St.
Page 1
Page 2

As a side note, I was born in Carbondale. The majority of Italians who emigrated to Carbondale in the late 1890's through the late 1920's were from the province of Catanzaro--Decollatura (particularly the frazione of Cerrisi), Serrastretta, Feroleto Antico, Cicala, San Mango d'Aquino, Carlopoli et al.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Thank you for all the information. It, however, eliminates this Frank Tomaine. The deciding factor was the father and mother on the 1930 census. I know these are not his parents. But they did come from Catanzaro (Pianopoli). The DOB was not in line either. Frank was 11 months old in 1912.

Frank came as a little one (11 months) with his mother and brother in 1912. At some point as an adult he died but I dont know where or when. An adult because my mother said he had at least one grown son she made contact with when he, the son, was an adult living in Mississauga Canada.

So far, no information on Frank Tomaine other than I know he was born in Italy and died in USA somewhere as an adult. I was born in 1949 and never knew frank.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a frank Tomaine who is listed in the 1920 and 1930 census having entered the USA on August 18, 1915 at NYC...does this help? =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Peter, No. I looked at the record. His father's name is not right. Little Francesco at 11 months old came on 6-26-12.

I got kind of excited when I saw that record because my grandfather Tomasso Tomaine was one of three children or had three siblings. I can't remember what my mother said about this. I was pretty little. I hoped you uncovered one, considering that Tomasso's kid was Francesco and maybe named this child after his brother. But not yet.

I still have to find if the siblings came over. I mentioned in an earlier thread that my mother said there was a red head, a blond, and a brunett. What I don't know is if she actually knew them. She was born here. They would have had to immigrate if she knew them. She never went to Italy. I looked in the gold form for people from Pianopoli hoping to find three Tomainos but no luck. So,,,,,, the search goes on. I'm about ready to write to Italy.

The FHC has civil records for my other side that might cover some of my info needs, but I'm going to send for the records from Italy for now.

Thank you for your interest. I really want to do this. My oldest sister was 17 years older than I and died unexpectedly last year at age 74. I have 4 others left, all older than me by 9 years or more . I was the "twinkle" in my dad's eye, as my mother said. I want to offer them something really nice, and their children. And my own children. It's up to me.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pray to St, Athnony and leave him right side up. =Peter=
~Peter~